RME has announced the Fireface UCX, a highly integrated pro audio solution in an ultra-compact format for studio and live recordings. It continues RME’s long tradition of designing compact high-end interfaces, packing into a half-rack size unit what usually would be spread out over two or three 19 inch panels.
In doing this the Fireface UCX marks a new packing record: 300 electronic components more than inside the already well-stocked Fireface UC! In a tremendous effort RME packed once again all the latest technologies, introduced with the award winning flagship UFX, plus a bunch of newly developed ones, into a half 19 inch housing with full mobile usability.
The result is an awesome combination of RME’s most successful products: Fireface UFX, Firefaces UC/400 and Babyface. The Fireface UCX is not just a smaller version of the smash hit UFX, with the X-core, the preamps and the complete effects engine, the UCX continues the tradition of RME’s tremendously successful compact interfaces, and combines it with the great usability of the Babyface through the included RME remote. With the Fireface UCX RME reinvented an already perfect product, by improving existing features and characteristics plus adding sophisticated new ones:
- Low Latency mastering grade converters with outstanding specifications.
- Two mic preamps with the premium technology from RME’s high-end recording bestsellers Micstasy and UFX, including the AutoSet overload protection.
- A newly developed Hammerfall audio core, supporting USB and FireWire with the maximum performance and ultra-low latency operation, combined with the legendary RME driver stability and maintenance, on both bus protocols.
- TotalMix FX with the complete Fireface UFX DSP engine, including all effects up to 192 kHz.
- Monitoring Controller: combining the impressive flexibility of the TotalMix FX monitoring tool set and the included RME Remote Control.
- RME’s unique DIGICheck metering and analysis toolbox for Windows PC and Mac.
- Plus support for RME’s Advanced Remote Control, active jitter suppression technology, professional reference level support, advanced stand-alone functionality, full 192 kHz operation, and last but not least two high speed MIDI I/Os.
- The Fireface UCX is the first professional audio interface with Class Compliant mode to work with Apple’s iPad, for perfect stereo up to 8 channel recording and playback, and the addition of truly professional I/Os.
The included Basic Remote Control provides one big wheel dial, a button for level storage/recall, and a freely programmable button for nearly all TotalMix FX functions. The optional Advanced Remote Control (ARC) adds 6 freely programmable buttons with LEDs to the feature set. Just assign all frequently used TotalMix functions to these buttons.
The DSP-based TotalMix mixer supports fully independent routing and mixing of all 18 input and playback channels to all 18 physical outputs. Up to 9 totally independent stereo submixes plus a comprehensive Control Room section offer unrivalled monitoring capabilities and unsurpassed routing flexibility. Every input and output channel comes with a luxury feature set, comparable to a full-scale digital console. The effects per channel include 3-band parametric EQ, adjustable Low Cut, Auto Level, Compressor, Expander, MS Processing and phase reversal. The Reverb and Echo effects unit is available for all channels by way of a stereo send and return bus.
Two DSPs ensure impressive performance, even in extreme applications. As usual with RME, TotalMix is available with all channels at all sample rates, completely unlimited. The second dedicated DSP only renders effects, and therefore always has sufficient resources. For example, at 48 kHz 36 EQs, 36 Low Cuts, 26 Compressors and Echo can be activated. With activated Reverb and Echo still 36 EQs, 36 Low Cuts and 16 Compressors are available.
18 Input / 18 Output channels of connectivity
- 8 x Analog I/O
- 2 x Mic/ Line Preamps, digitally controlled
- 2 x Line / Instrument inputs, digitally controlled
- 1 x SPDIF I/O coaxial
- 1 x ADAT I/O (or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical)
- 1 x Word Clock I/O
- 2 x MIDI I/O (via breakout cable)
- 1 x FireWire 400
- 1 x USB 2.0 (USB 3 compatible)
- Remote Control
The Fireface UCX is the first fully professional audio interface with the option to be used as Class Compliant interface. The Class Compliant mode is a standard that is natively supported by operating systems like Windows, Mac OS X and Linux distributions. No proprietary drivers are required, the device will be directly recognized when the CC mode is activated by the button on the front panel.
The Class Compliant mode also allows for connecting the UCX to an Apple iPad or iPad2. The UCX provides the iPad with the professional analog I/O connections it lacks. Superb microphone preamps with EQ, dynamics, even with the AutoSet feature, in addition to professional balanced line outputs, and a hi-power headphone output that also excels with high impedance headphones. Plus level adjustments, reverb, echo, zero latency monitoring, digitally via USB, without any limitation in quality, at up to 96 kHz and 24 bit.
On the Mac, the Fireface UCX requires OS X 10.5 or later and an Intel processor. When using USB 2.0, the UCX requires a Core 2 Duo processor or faster. When using FireWire 400, the UCX requires an OHCI compatible FireWire Port 400 (1394a) or FireWire 800 port (via adapter cable).
The Fireface UCX will be available “soon” for a minimum advertised price of $1649.