macOS menubar headphone decibel readout

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments

macOS menubar headphone decibel readout

Postby bonty » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 8:39 pm

I am hunting for a simple app that will sit in the menubar on macOS and display the numerical decibel readout of the music I pumped from my headphones that I can quickly reference to.

Does such a thing exist (in a light memory footprint software option) please?
bonty

Re: macOS menubar headphone decibel readout

Postby G » Sat, 17 Jun 2017 9:03 pm

The exact loudness of any given pair of headphones will be a factor of their own impedance, sensitivity, and efficiency, along with the power output from your model Mac or 3rd party interface. If the cans have their own hardware volume control, that's another variable that software wouldn't necessarily know. None of this would be very easy to predict. You'd have to look for something that offered manual calibration and compare it to a real sound level meter. Without that, you probably won't see very accurate results.

Or are you just looking for something fairly general?
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . Radeon Pro 460 . UA Apollo Twin DUO . macOS Sierra . Logic . FCP . Get Info
G
Owner/Admin

Postby bonty » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 5:38 pm

I do appreciate that there are all sorts of variables with sound out put, you're right to mention just some of them which do apply, I was on the prowl for something general, just for hearing safety purposes.

iPod's used to have a limit feature to protect hearing, how would they have gotten that to work with anything other than the official ear-buds as a separate volume control could negate that safety feature?

Anyway, if you know of anything I could use an external measure to see for myself, to compare the two read outs and if I set the headphones to maximum from their end then I could be more sure of the computer's readout.
bonty

Postby G » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 5:59 pm

I remember that feature, and good point, it's possible that it did not work with anything but the included ear buds.

Did a quick scan around and didn't find anything for the menu bar. You might try contacting the developer of menuBUS, which was recently released, sits in the menu bar, and can host plugins for all of your Mac audio to pass through before output. I wonder if it would be a simple thing (easy for me to say) for him to add a level meter to its display?

http://www.macosaudio.com/2017/02/menub ... aster-bus/
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . Radeon Pro 460 . UA Apollo Twin DUO . macOS Sierra . Logic . FCP . Get Info
G
Owner/Admin

Postby bonty » Sun, 18 Jun 2017 8:49 pm

Interesting, I use a plugin called PTH Volume right now to route audio in/out as I need, this looks more up to date.

I'll check it out.
bonty

Postby bonty » Sat, 01 Jul 2017 11:28 am

I just remembered about the "Meters Music OV-1 headphones" (http://www.polaudio.net/meters-music-la ... -ces-2017/) which would do the job, at a price!

I wish they were wireless, I just can't go back to anything but. I use Kleer (uncompressed streaming) from Sennheiser, so it's good enough for me.
bonty

Return to Applications