The Daw Poll - Redux

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments

What is your preferred DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)

Cubase SE
1%
Cubase SL
0%
Cubase SX
6%
Digital Performer
21%
GarageBand
1%
Intuem
0%
Live
14%
Logic Pro
42%
Logic Express
4%
Melodyne
0%
Metro
0%
Nuendo
2%
Numerology
1%
Pro Tools
3%
Pro Tools LE
3%
Tracktion
3%

Total votes: 826

tdc
Admin Emeritus

The Daw Poll - Redux

Post by tdc » 28 Aug 2004, 06:09

Welcome to the new DAW Poll!

Due to your friendly but sometimes inept admin being a goose, it has been decided to start the whole DAW Poll from scratch. A few of the reasons why are that I left off some critical applications, and also had to change the poll midstream as there were incorrect entries. This was only compounded as it now seems that a few cheeky monkeys decided it would be fun to hack the Poll engine and bump up their favourite DAW.

So, I now present, what I certainly hope is a well thought out and secure Poll.

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines and cast those votes,

regards, and apologies, your goose of an admin

tone

jaxx

instructions on how to vote..

Post by jaxx » 28 Aug 2004, 08:41

I'm probably missing something very obvious, but I'd love to know, how does one vote?

Since posting this, the voting mechanism started working! Thanks.
Last edited by jaxx on 30 Aug 2004, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.

tdc
Admin Emeritus

Post by tdc » 28 Aug 2004, 08:44

Can you see the Voting Buttons now Jaxx?

jaxx

YEP!!!

Post by jaxx » 28 Aug 2004, 09:14

Thanks.

cerberus

Post by cerberus » 28 Aug 2004, 09:35

Thanks Tony !

cerberus
"It's quite scary actually, they seem to have nailed it, haven't they?"

The Beatsmith
Twitter: P_Leezy

Post by The Beatsmith » 28 Aug 2004, 12:09

maybe we should call this site 'logic pro audio' :lol:

jaxx

logic pro audio?

Post by jaxx » 28 Aug 2004, 13:58

What a good sense of humor you have.

Lots of people use Logic, but I don't think that means this is a pro-logic, pro emagic site.

Do you use something other than Logic? I was impressed with the number of DP users who voted for the last one.

puddles
Site Supporter

Post by puddles » 28 Aug 2004, 15:01

wish i could vote for Live as runner up. Logic Pro is my primary, but more and more I use Live for different stuffs.
time to sleep

filarion
Site Supporter

Post by filarion » 28 Aug 2004, 16:09

I voted for Live, since right now I'm definitely preferring Live4 over Logic Pro wherever I can (which means everywhere except scoring and band productions). For my own compositions Live4 puts everything I need at my disposal, so I'm probably 70% Live, 30% Logic Pro for my own music right now. Logic 7 might help tip that back in favor of Logic a bit.
-- http://www.regicide.org --
deer music

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 28 Aug 2004, 16:17

filarion wrote:I voted for Live, since right now I'm definitely preferring Live4 over Logic Pro wherever I can (which means everywhere except scoring and band productions). For my own compositions Live4 puts everything I need at my disposal, so I'm probably 70% Live, 30% Logic Pro for my own music right now. Logic 7 might help tip that back in favor of Logic a bit.

Same here! :)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

jaxx

Logic's Plug-ins & Instruments

Post by jaxx » 28 Aug 2004, 20:02

filarion wrote:I voted for Live, since right now I'm definitely preferring Live4 over Logic Pro wherever I can (which means everywhere except scoring and band productions). For my own compositions Live4 puts everything I need at my disposal, so I'm probably 70% Live, 30% Logic Pro for my own music right now. Logic 7 might help tip that back in favor of Logic a bit.
That insteresting. So that means you don't use any of the Logic plug-ins or instruments. I guess you like other plug-ins and instruments?

What do you use instead?

I mean, don't get me wrong, Live has a couple of ringers in its plug-in collection and I love them. Nothing is quite the equal of Grain Delay. But there certianly aren't that many plug-ins.

Do you use the Loop composition much? Are you satisfied with the fidelity of the time correction algorithms?

filarion
Site Supporter

Post by filarion » 29 Aug 2004, 01:30

well, I can use all my AUs in Live 4 now, which means I have iDrum, Reaktor, Zebra, Attack, Pluggos and all the other plugins I rely on in there. I'm not that dependant on my exs24 libraries since I usually build samplesets on a per-track basis and can do that in Live's excellent Simpler and Impulse instruments now (and on my e-mu sampler). of course MIDI implementation in Live is a bit simplistic if you get into the details but at the end of the day I don't care about that (except for the exceptions in my original post). I miss Space Designer but that's about it. es2 and some of the other instruments are nice but I have enough hardware and other software instruments to keep me busy. and my powerbook doesn't have the horsepower to effectively rewire live to logic.

the timestretch algorithms are no problem, I'll either use them "unwarped" in live's arrange window or put them into Simpler and trigger them via midi notes.

oh, and loopbased sequencing of external midi gear put a few of my synths into a whole new context, I haven't used my venerable Waldorf Pulse as much in years. =)
-- http://www.regicide.org --
deer music

putte

Post by putte » 29 Aug 2004, 03:01

i am also more and more interested in live 4, and think about buying it to see where it gets me. i could easily move away from all the logic bulit-in plugs of logic pro, as i dont make much use of them. (never been a fan of emagic´s plugs).

I could even imagine that, if i understand using live 4, it could replace logic here completely. well, why not? :)

The people behind live ARE just topmodern, in a way i always wanted Logic to be.

Sure .. logic 7 .. and i´ll definately check it out when its here .. and then i´ll decide. thats at least my current way of thinking.

putte

jaxx

Post by jaxx » 29 Aug 2004, 04:36

putte wrote:i am also more and more interested in live 4, and think about buying it to see where it gets me. i could easily move away from all the logic bulit-in plugs of logic pro, as i dont make much use of them. (never been a fan of emagic´s plugs).

I could even imagine that, if i understand using live 4, it could replace logic here completely. well, why not? :)

The people behind live ARE just topmodern, in a way i always wanted Logic to be.

Sure .. logic 7 .. and i´ll definately check it out when its here .. and then i´ll decide. thats at least my current way of thinking.

putte
Interesting thoughts.. What about hte Emagic plug-ins do you dislike? There is such a large variety, I'm surprised that you did not find something tasty. I love the Track Oscillator, for example. Very few things work that well or sound so good. :-)

What AU's do you use?

putte

Post by putte » 29 Aug 2004, 04:40

jaxx .. :) ..

actually i make heavy use of plugins, but somehow i was never a fan of the emagic plugs.

the ones i like:

autofilter
tape delay
space designer

the evoc´s are also "nice".

And as i am not interested in synths much i never use the ones coming with logic.

ouh .. am i getting OT again?
:shock:
*wrrruuuuuuuuummmm*

putte