MidiPipe FAQ

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
nicowald
Twitter: nicowald

Post by nicowald » 17 Oct 2005, 13:21

oink/hogie: I'll extend the Message Factory tool to allow SysEx as trigger/data source

hornedrum: what you need is this TD3 -> MidiPipe -> Reason
- MidiPipe: in the Midi In tool select the TD3 MIDI Output port (no hijacking needed)
- MidiPipe: in the Midi Out tool select the "virtual" MidiPipe Output 1 (because Reason has no MIDI input port)
- Reason: select MidiPipe Output 1 as the MIDI source

Hope this helps.

Regards, Nico
MidiPipe - route, map, filter, convert, display, and input MIDI messages in real-time
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net

hogie

Post by hogie » 24 Oct 2005, 09:10

thank you very very much!

Midipipe will be better than Logic soon! ;)
PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz 1.25GB, M-Audio 1814, FCB1010, PTMP 7 , Live 5, MidiPipe

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 24 Oct 2005, 09:34

Thanks Nico :)

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 01 Nov 2005, 20:57

Nico, any chance of making the "hijack" option into a tool with a trigger input to hijack/unhijack ports remotely, like the message factory?
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 03 Nov 2005, 04:34

johnpitcairn wrote:Nico, any chance of making the "hijack" option into a tool with a trigger input to hijack/unhijack ports remotely, like the message factory?
Wouldn't that be a bit tricky, since apps only seem to ignore ports if they are hijacked before the app opens? (or would you script the app to trigger hijack before it looks for ports ?)

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 03 Nov 2005, 13:29

oink wrote:Wouldn't that be a bit tricky, since apps only seem to ignore ports if they are hijacked before the app opens? (or would you script the app to trigger hijack before it looks for ports ?)
Getting everything up and running and configured is a bit of a creativity-killer when you want to record now. I'm thinking something like this, while not physically at the computer:

1 - Message from MIDI keyboard to MIDIPipe
2 - sends sysex to exit MT4 patch mode
3 - triggers "hijack ports X, Y, Z"
4 - triggers Applescript to launch Logic, etc

#3 currently requires I am physically at the computer. I suppose I could look into UI-scripting the "hijack" checkbox from a trigger event, but if it's possible, that would get a little long-winded for several ports.

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 06 Nov 2005, 20:07

OK, I have a problem I can't seem to find my way out of.
I was fooling around with the idea of hijacking all my MIDI ports. Somewhere i instanciated a feedback loop (in Logic) I think. And now all my hardware In ports have gone missing.
I tried trashing various prefs to no avail. AMS sees the out porrs, and not the In ports. if i load MIDIPIpe it doesn't see any of the In ports, except if I load the 'hijack all ports' pipe I made, but even then nothing passes thru. MIDI monitor doesn't see any of the In ports either.
I ahve restarted, trashed prefs, trashed MIDI config, all to nought.
What can I try next ?

These are what i trashed:
AMS prefs
MIDIPipe prefs
default.mcfg

I know the solution is in the user domain, because if I go into another account, all ports are present and active.

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 06 Nov 2005, 21:09

Try this:

Delete ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.xxxxxx.plist

Unplug your MIDI interfaces.

Open AudioMIDI Setup.

Plug in your MIDI interfaces.

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 06 Nov 2005, 21:13

Delete ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.xxxxxx.plist
Yeh I just found that. I tried trash and restart but no luck, but then i tried trash and shutdown.
I didn't try to do anything with the interface itself or AMS, but it seems a full shutdown rather than a simple restart made the difference.

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 06 Nov 2005, 21:20

oops, I spoke too quickly. I was just going on the fact MIDIMonitor now showed all ports. once I booted AMS and/or Logic the in ports disappeared again. I'll try your suggestion of disconnecting and powercycling the interfaces. (hmm, that's fine for the AMT8 but how does one do that to a stealth port ?)

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 06 Nov 2005, 22:06

Finally...success. :)

I ended up trashing these:
Extensions.kextcache and Extensions.mkext from System/Library/ along with AMS prefs, MIDIPipe prefs, MIDIMonitor prefs and ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.MIDI.xxxxxx.plist

Just trashing Extensions.kextcache alone (with the other prefs) didn't work. I had to trash both those system files.
I had the ports showing up OK in everything but AMS, bit as soon as I booted AMS they disappeared again, for all apps. I figured the extension cache must have been coming into play because AMS never seems to lose it's settings when I just trash AMS prefs.

sjmvideo

MidiPipe as a control surface mapper.

Post by sjmvideo » 12 Nov 2005, 02:05

Hi,
I have a Tascam US-224 MIDI/Audio/Control Surface interface it uses JL cooper commands. I just purchased Final cut studio which only recognises Mackie controls.

While searching the web for a utility to save me having to buy a new controller I discovered 2 programs out there. (1) LC Xmu is specifically designed to do what I need. It will convert any generic control surface to the Mackie protocall. (2) MIDIpipe which looks like it might do what I need (and a whole lot more) but would take time to configure/program to get my specific need met.

My question is can MIDIPipe do the conversion I need and what would it take to configure it. I'd rather donate the money that I would have to pay for LC Xmu to MIDIPipe and learn only one program than buy LC Xmu and decide I need MIDIPipe later for other things.

Thoughts?
Thanks in Advance!
Steven

PS I've dowloaded MIDIPipe to check it out, but I wanted to get this question out ASAP while I play around with it.

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 12 Nov 2005, 19:43

No I don't think MIDIPipe will do it. For one I'm not sure you could program it to handle the handshaking strings etc..

But even if it could, it's not just a matter of mapping this CC# to that message etc. There's a lot more to it.
If you had the time, first you would need to read and comprehend the Mackie Control/Logic Control SDK. Then you would need to apply that to the mapping and test for bugs in your programming.

But, I guess if your time is worth less than what a third-world sweatshop worker's is worth, there would be no harm in trying :D
(but even then you still wouldn't have the virtual-LCD display that you get with LC Xmu so you would still be poking around in the dark.)

P.S. I don't get the logic of: " I'd rather donate the money that I would have to pay for LC Xmu to MIDIPipe and learn only one program than buy LC Xmu and decide I need MIDIPipe later for other things." ?

There isn't really a great deal to learn with either app. Not that pertains to the apps themselves. You can learn either in a matter of minutes.
Learning all the ins and outs of MIDI, or learning how to use your controller in Mackie Control emulation, are a whole other thing, and not a quick study, but you would have to learn them anyway, whether you bought LC Xmu or not.

sjmvideo

Post by sjmvideo » 12 Nov 2005, 22:21

Thanks Oink. I actually played around with the demo version LC Xmu, and it will take some effort just to make it work. And it simplifies the Mackie/Logic side tremendously. Either way with the controller I have I will need to do some more digging into specs to get maximum functionality from my Tascam. I'm new to working in the world of MIDI and MIDI control so some of the discussions and technologies are foreign to me. I don't even NEED to use the control surface with FinalCut. In fact I have a project where I can't wait to figure all this out before getting started. I'll just use the mouse to get started and add the control surface when I have the chance.

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 13 Nov 2005, 01:58

sjmvideo wrote: I'm new to working in the world of MIDI and MIDI control so some of the discussions and technologies are foreign to me. I don't even NEED to use the control surface with FinalCut. In fact I have a project where I can't wait to figure all this out before getting started. I'll just use the mouse to get started and add the control surface when I have the chance.
IMO, it's probably good to start with the mouse as it familiarizes you with the commands you want to use and you'll know what to aim at when you get up to using a control surface. (no use in making the learning curve any steeper than it has to be.) Besides, you'll probably appreciate the control surface even more when you can compare it with the alternative :)

If you are totally new to MIDI i would advise against tackling setting up anything near as deep as the Mackie Control/Logic Control protocols. It will be enough to just learn how to use them, let alone 'getting under the hood' in any way.