MidiPipe FAQ

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
nicowald
Twitter: nicowald

Post by nicowald » 17 Jan 2006, 10:10

bof: yes there is a way, check out the .mipi I just created:
http://homepage.mac.com/nicowald/data/P ... r.mipi.zip

It contains a "Multi Pipe Setup" (one for each output port) -- simply change the settings of the "MIDI In" and "MIDI Out" tools to your preference and it should do what you need (currently is set to virtual ports for illustration)

Hope this helps.

Regards, Nico
Last edited by nicowald on 17 Jan 2006, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
MidiPipe - route, map, filter, convert, display, and input MIDI messages in real-time
http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net

bof

Post by bof » 17 Jan 2006, 13:15

Many thanks

seawolf

Midipipe & NPRN to CC conversion

Post by seawolf » 22 Jan 2006, 03:48

Hello,
I am trying to use midipipe to convert some NPRN signals to CC signals. I am not sure exactly how I would do this, I have tried using several message converters in the pipe (there are a total of nine separate NPRN signals I want to convert), but there doesn't seem to be CC output.

My thanks for any help anyone can offer.
-Elijah

Icarus

Background virtual keyboard?

Post by Icarus » 08 Feb 2006, 19:40

Hello Nico. I have been using your app for Live gigs as a go between my controller and Live 5. I can't live without it now!

I'm sure this is easily done but... can i use MidiPipe as a virtual synth while it is not the foremost app running? I do sound design in bed and like to use DSP Quattro with Reaktor - I would like to be able to use my computer keyboard as my midi keyboard but when I am in DSP quattro I can not do this - it means I can not chnge parameters on the ensemble while triggering notes of course.
Cheers,
Steve da Sleeve
I c a r u s S o u n d

KoSotoDeluxe

Help

Post by KoSotoDeluxe » 17 Feb 2006, 03:08

This is what I want to do:

Use the Program Change Messages from my DR-670 to independantly change the Reason Matrix Squencer patchs via 670 pattern changes. And trigger samples in my SP-808 with the drum pads in those patterns and record it in Live. Whose clock do I use? I want to use the 670's but I know a software clock would be better. Is MIDI Monitor a clock source when used as a destination for other programs?

Can it be done. Am I wasting my time? I've already put in 6+ hours and dozens of head aches. I guess I just need to know if I can or not.

I only have 512 ram and I've twice had to reboot because of hang-ups.
Also I don't think the Reason Rewire Engine is working. Cause I can't find it. I could re-install it but I don't want to use it anyway. Nor do I want to use Reasons main sequencer.

I guess I just need to know if I can do this or not. I hope this question isn't too hardware specific.

Thnks everyone, Nico,and Oink.
iMac G5 2.1GHz 10.4.4, Novation ReMote SL 25, M-Audio Firewire 410, Roland SP-808 GrooveSampler, Boss DR-670,

KoSotoDeluxe

Post by KoSotoDeluxe » 17 Feb 2006, 23:15

I got some MIDI Implimentation charts for the 670 this morning, hopefully they will help. I also turned the html from the midi monitor page into a pdf and printed that out.

Found out the Program change data is the same number as the drum kit used in the pattern not the pattern itself. Kit 79=78 Must start at 0. So in order to apply pattern change ques to the Matrix Sequencer I would need to copy the drums in the kit I want to a new kit and assign a new kit for every pattern that would trigger a sequence/pragram change.

The decimal value in the Midi Monitor is 78, the hex is... whatever that translates to. I think it was $4E. I don't know where the $ comes in to play. I only see it show up in documentation in in regards to SysEx messages.

The real question now is:

How can I change the kit change/program change messages to cc/note messages. Or key strokes. I've been trying to use the Message Converter. There is a Program Change button to select, but don't I need to put in the data value? Or does it only take the Program Change as that, a generic event that can only convert into one value?

I hope I clearified things a little.

Thanks. I'll keep trying.
iMac G5 2.1GHz 10.4.4, Novation ReMote SL 25, M-Audio Firewire 410, Roland SP-808 GrooveSampler, Boss DR-670,

axonal

Post by axonal » 19 Feb 2006, 14:02

I've been using MidiPipe for a month now and find it an absolutley wonderful program. Primarily I've been using it for live performances, specifically routing the tempo out to various midi devices. I've been experiencing a problem thats been nagging me and puzzling me. Our setup consists of an Alesis Ion, Alesis Micron, Novation A-Station, and a Korg Electribe. The Electribe is the "master" unit we've been using to send the tempo out to the other devices. The problem occurs about every 10-15 minutes, we get a message about a MIDI Loop coming from the Micron. What's puzzling though is that we only have an input going into the micron. Within MidiPipe our configuration is as so:

Midi In - microlite port 2 - (electribe)
Message Filter (Timing clock allowed through)
Midi Out - microlite port 1 - pass through - (kontrol49/novation a-station)
Midi Out - microlite port 3 - pass through - (alesis ion)
Midi Out - microlite port 4 - (alesis micron)

Is this a problem with my configuration or a bug in the program?

My second question is if there is an ability where I can do a program change on one machine, and have the other machines make other changes. For example, if on the kontrol49 I go to program 2, I can have the ion go to program 45 or the micron go to program 22. Would this be something I should do with the AppleScript Trigger?

ihoneyman

Post by ihoneyman » 22 Feb 2006, 16:56

Hi Nico,
fantastic software. I've been able to use it to hijack some messages from a mackie control, to reroute a few of the buttons. A quick question: How hard would it be to implement a "toggle on trigger" function.. ie some function that would turn (for instance) off and on a channel filter when it receives some midi trigger? Maybe being able to choose what the "on" trigger and "off" trigger are, so you could use two different note ons or a note on and note off etc? I would love to use my Mackie Control as a midi controller as well, and it's possible using your software.. but right now there's of course no way to switch back and forth.

Would anyone else find this function useful?

Just a thought..
Ian

Jay Levitt

Post by Jay Levitt » 24 Feb 2006, 09:48

Hi Nico. This is just the program I need to translate my new Hercules DJ MP3 controller for software that expects the old Mac-specific controller (which used different controller numbers). I can translate nearly the entire device using a series of Message Converters.

However, one thing stumps me. Hercules moved the "pitch" function from a simple slider (0x00-0x7F) to a speed-based knob (7F..40 = slow..fast to the left, 01..3F = slow..fast to the right), and vice versa.

I cannot think of a good way to translate these back and forth. Can you? Seems like, unless I know how the actual DJ software is coded and use the same ballistics formula, I can't produce a reliable mapping from speed to position.

stublito

MIDIPipe - How to Convert Note Ons to Pitch Bend CCs

Post by stublito » 25 Feb 2006, 14:01

I want to do a cheezy bass and drums country music/oldies accompaniment for my single act, using my MIDI bass pedals and my Powerbook (I already use tracks, this would be for requests and jamming).

I found MIDI Pipe and figured if I could do some generic sequences, play them with MIDI Pipe and have MIDI Pipe convert the 13 pedal MIDI bass notes to an octave of pitch bends, I could route the pitch bends to the bass sequence channel and boom-chick along quite nicely.

I tried the note on -> pitch wheel, but it just shifted the bass note a fixed amount. I guess I need to set the QT (DLS) Synth pitch bend parameter to 12 semitones and map the note numbers from C1 - C2 to a reasonably tempered set of values. All of this is a little beyond my skill set.

I used to do this in the old days with a control volltage setup from some Bass Pedals to a Pro One and trigger from a drum machine. To bad I sold the Pro One ages ago.

I sure would appreciate some assistance and would be willing to paypal someone or donate to charity to get this up and running.

Thanks

Stublito

stublito

Followup Note Ons To Pich Bend

Post by stublito » 26 Feb 2006, 20:45

Gee what a great set of tools! I got this working. However the concept is flawed, the pitch bend tuming isn't too good. Plus you have to set the global pich bend to a non standard value.

Now I know MidiPipe better, an Applescript that transposes based on the note imput would be more elegant. Now THAT is out of my league.

I see from other posts that is acceptable to offer bribes/payment to Nico for custom work. Let me know.

Mahalo

Stublito

KoSotoDeluxe

Phuc it

Post by KoSotoDeluxe » 27 Feb 2006, 00:51

I said
Can it be done. Am I wasting my time? I've already put in 6+ hours and dozens of head aches. I guess I just need to know if I can or not.
I am wasting my time. I'll just sample the damn phrases individualy then layer. What ever. Nice having an open forum serve as a manual.

Thank you all. :? :( :evil:

cousinisaac

Post by cousinisaac » 15 May 2006, 19:36

Does anyone have a list of the codes for keystrokes that Abletone Live uses? I want to modiy the live control pipe to do things like enable the record button for whatever track is selected, and other things that requrie a code such as
keystroke «data utxt001F» as opposed to a simple mapped key.

Any advice would be appreiciated.

Thanks,

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 16 May 2006, 00:51

ihoneyman wrote:I would love to use my Mackie Control as a midi controller as well, and it's possible using your software.. but right now there's of course no way to switch back and forth.
I've just implemented a full bypass mode in LC Xmu that turns the MC into a generic MIDI controller, with saved state between bypasses and the choice of relative or absolute v-pots & jogwheel, if that's of interest...
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

dennischristopher

Keystrokes

Post by dennischristopher » 09 Jun 2006, 16:24

Hi Nico,

I absolutely love this program!

I was just wondering if you could add a function for keystroke macros like the program called midi stroke... It lets you assign a list of keystrokes it executes once a certain midi value is received.....

Thanx,

Dennis Christopher