MidiPipe FAQ

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
michael.su

Remap of MIDI notes For GB Drumkits (midipipe)

Post by michael.su » 04 Jan 2008, 12:48

Hello,
I am using Garageband2, an Ion IMD01 drum kit and an iBook G4 1.33GHz
with OSX Tiger 10.4.10
All the drum pads have the correct MIDI output I need to use the Garageband Drum kits except for 1. It is outputting F3 which is a "high Timbale" in the rock kit and I would like to have it output G2 "splash"
I setup midipipe like this:

Midi In:
- Midi Input: (Your USB or FireWire MIDI device)
- Options: check "hijack"
Key Mapper :
- Key In: F3
- Key Out: G2
- Options: UNcheck "Solo selected "Key In""
Midi Out:
- MIDI Output: MidiPipe Output 1
- Options: UNcheck "Pass Through" and UNcheck "Use Note Off Velocity"

I can't seem to get it to work.
I added the keyboard as suggested by another thread and can verify the key mapping is NOT taking effect.
Any Ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

-Mike

michael.su

Post by michael.su » 04 Jan 2008, 19:29

Ok, I got it working. It was just operator error I guess :roll:.
This application is nothing less than awesome!
I've been looking for a solution like this for at least a year. Everything else I've tried has been much more complicated and turned out to be useless.
Nico, You Da Man!
I just donated!
keep up the good work. I'll try to stop in and help others and also spread the word.
Thank You Very,Very Much,

-Mike

the8bitdeity
Site Supporter

Post by the8bitdeity » 21 Jan 2008, 14:15

Any chance we could see an Input that converts video game controller messages to MIDI? I've been playing lots of "Rock Band" lately with the drum kit, and I'm looking for a simple way to convert it's current controller information into MIDI signals. Mostly just to see if it's something I enjoy. It's not an ideal controller, but it's a good learning tool before I shell out big bucks for a real kit, if I enjoy it.
5..4..3..1!

torqui

Channel Router or...

Post by torqui » 25 Jan 2008, 04:47

Hello to all!
and Nico thanks for this software!

It would interest to me to have the possibility to press a key and to change in the "Channel Router" the escape channel. As an example pressing Z, I would want that channel 1 goes on channel 2 and pressing X I would want that channel 1 returned on channel 1. it is possible in some way?

or
Having created more Pipe, there is the possibility to press a key and to change the Pipe?

thanks
Tom

vjtuna

Hercules MK-II

Post by vjtuna » 28 Jan 2008, 05:35

first of all... thanks for this beautiful piece of software... it's amazing...

BUT (there's ALWAYS a big question in life)...

i have a little problem with my Hercules MK-II controller.
in the controller there are 2 jog weels.... in the documentation those are commented as:

-value B0 36 Incremental - Raw 7F > 40: CCW slow>fast – 01 > 3F: CW slow>fast

well... using a monitor application the jog gave me only 2 results... 1 and 127... and i'm not able to use them as jog wheels... where is my fault?

thanks in advance

Tuna

chal

message filtering, start/stop messages

Post by chal » 06 Feb 2008, 13:34

Hi

I'm new to midipipe (and midi in general) and i have no clue what i'm doing wrong.

My situation: slaving software sequencer (GURU) to an external MIDI capable looper (electro harmonix 2880). Guru is syncing up just fine to the MTC of the 2880, however, the 2880 also sends start and stop messages that I want GURU to ignore. So with some googling, i found midipipe thinking that it would solve this problem.

I set up a simple pipe (MIDI in, Message Filter, MIDI out) and adjusted the filter to filter out everyting but the timing messages.

BUT, GURU IS STILL STARTING AND STOPING WHEN THESE MESSAGES ARE SENT FROM THE 2880!

I know for sure that the filter is working because when i filter the timing, GURU jumps back to its own tempo.

What do i do???!

I hope someone out there can help me out on this one. It would be disasterous if there was no work around for this issue. It's especially frustrating because it seems like it should be working... i see no reason for it not to be.....

anyways, sorry for the rambling. :roll:

Thank you so much for any help or advice you can offer! I'm rather desprite at this point, as i'm sure you can tell... :?

Sincerely,
-alex

sammy

Please help!

Post by sammy » 22 Feb 2008, 01:17

i have logic and an axiom 49 and what i need to do is be able to send a continuous 14bit pitchbend signal trigered by a 'note on' or a control change button

so for instance, hitting C1 send pitch bend value x until D1 is pressed and sends another value. i only want this behaviour for half a dozen definied keys within one octave of the keyboard.

i have tried doing this in the logic environment with no success

i am praying there is some way to do this in midipipe.. i looked at message factory and so on however it doesn't seem to be able to do what i want. i thought maybe with the applescript functionality there might be a solution.

thanks for considering my problem i am very grateful for any advice you may have

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Re: Please help!

Post by johnpitcairn » 22 Feb 2008, 15:25

sammy wrote:i have logic and an axiom 49 and what i need to do is be able to send a continuous 14bit pitchbend signal trigered by a 'note on'
What do you mean by "continuous"? The same pitchbend value repeated every X milliseconds? Can you explain why you need to do that (there might be a better way to deal with it)?
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

sammy

Post by sammy » 23 Feb 2008, 00:37

thankyou for your response!

okay, well i will explain:

i have the system working absolutely perfectly now except one frustrating detail

i have say x midi tracks of one bar length each, all of them with a pitch bend of the required amount in hyperedit

then with logic key commands, ive assigned the relevant keys on my piano keyboard to the "move marker to the position x"

so everything works absolutely great, the problem is i can't play over any other midi tracks or audio material or basically do anything else with logic, because i am playing around with the locator.

perhaps if there was a way to get audio coming from 2 logic projects at the same time this would also solve my problem

by continuous i am actually not sure what i mean

all i know is that when i have the locator inside of one of my marker tracks, the pitch bend is fixed at that value untl i move it to another marker

i dont know technically what is actually happening with the pitch bend signal?

oh and these pitch bend amounts are not to 12tone values so no sort of transpose will work of course.

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 24 Feb 2008, 17:04

sammy wrote:all i know is that when i have the locator inside of one of my marker tracks, the pitch bend is fixed at that value untl i move it to another marker
What is the exact behaviour you want then, if the above isn't it?

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 24 Feb 2008, 17:07

sammy wrote:i have say x midi tracks of one bar length each, all of them with a pitch bend of the required amount in hyperedit. then with logic key commands, ive assigned the relevant keys on my piano keyboard to the "move marker to the position x". so everything works absolutely great, the problem is i can't play over any other midi tracks or audio material or basically do anything else with logic, because i am playing around with the locator.
Have you checked out the "touch tracks" object in the environment? It's ideal for triggering midi sequences from notes, and you can do this while the sequencer is playing back more linear stuff.

sammy

Post by sammy » 25 Feb 2008, 04:05

thanks very much for your suggestion

i have got it to work sort of using touch tracks now i am hoping it's just a configuration problem

what i've done is configured the one octave to on my midi control to send on channel 4 while the rest is on channel 1, so i have

midi control > channel split:
1 > arrange
4 > touch track

in the touch track i have dragged each region on to the appropriate key
i've played arund with the options quite a bit but the problem is

when i am playing notes on the keyboard (chan 1) and i press a note on the chan 4, it slows down, sometimes plays the right note, sometimes does it

i understand i have logic running for touch tracks to work, so i have set a midi loop region outside of the regions i am trying to target while playing

i think what may be the problem is it is trying to play many midi regions at once which ar eall trying to send pitch bends to the same instrument but i dont know how to fix it

is it because of the play option in the touc htracks?

it seems the option i need is not there:

play region until stopped by targetting new region

the other thing is, even if i get it to work this way i guess i wont be able to record my playing

but still it would be a huge improvement for me to be able to play over other material

very appreciative of your help thanks

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 25 Feb 2008, 13:07

sammy wrote:it seems the option i need is not there: play region until stopped by targetting new region
Hint: try a voice-limiter object before the touchtracks object.
the other thing is, even if i get it to work this way i guess i wont be able to record my playing
Sure you will. Assign the channel splitter to an arrange track instead of cabling to it from the physical input.

Any further discussion should probably be a new thread. Mods: can we split this topic off from a couple of posts back?

sammy

Post by sammy » 26 Feb 2008, 05:31

ok i can't get any effect at all now from the trigger keys
i really don't know where i'm making a mistake so i've uploaded a screenshot if you would take a look at it

i dont understand what you mean by assigning the channel splitter to an arrange track without the physical input either?

http://www.badongo.com/pic/3023864

the voice limited is set to 1, last

in the arrange window i have several 1 bar regions on the inst track each with just a pitch bend signal in hyperedit at the start[/img]

sammy

Post by sammy » 26 Feb 2008, 05:49

so i have just the keys C and D set there and have tried all the trigger modes plus various configurations of the cabling and chanelleing with no effect at all