Reason cpu to 75%... Oh No!

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
rooser
Site Supporter

Reason cpu to 75%... Oh No!

Post by rooser » 15 Jun 2005, 16:13

Well, I didn't think I'd ever see it, but... I've been working on combinators lately, for drums, NNXTs and subtractors. Nothing too elaborate, mainly Maelstrom controlling rez and cutoff, filters on drums, that kind of thing. And frankly, the same effect as if I just used the sends on a couple mixers like I usually do?? So, after creating a template with 5 combinators: 2 drum machines, and 3 instruments, I cranked the whole thing up, run through a single mixer... Whoa! I've never even seen the cpu go that high in Reason... I'm talking 50% steady, and 75% with both drum machines running and a few chords playing! The combinator is the kiss of death for Reason as we know it... May be useful live, but it transforms a lean mean machine... into a honkin, snortin pot belly!! Anyone else tried to hook up a bunch to a mixer and play?? I'm ready for 2.5 with the MClass!

DOH! :?
Still Rocking!

dockthepod

Post by dockthepod » 15 Jun 2005, 16:19

Are you sure you are using the same number of modules? It's really easy to add insane numbers of modules tucked away in a combinator. This is what really hits the CPU. At least, that's how it seemed to me.
12" pb 867 :: omnistudio usb :: PODxt :: AN1x :: oxygen8 :: dp4.5 :: reason2.5 :: live4

rooser
Site Supporter

Post by rooser » 15 Jun 2005, 17:12

Most of these combinators contain 4-7 devices... They are really very simple compared to the "monsters" provided with 3.0! ...I can't imagine what would happen if I loaded 3-4 of those... Really not the issue here... I think it's much more efficient to NOT use the combinator to hook up a bunch of devices... For instance, if I create a Redrum and run it through a mixer, then route the filters or shapers from a Maelstrom to various drum sounds, it uses much less cpu! Than if I combined the same stuff in a combinator?? I'm curious if anyone else has tried to run 2-5 combinators at once... I have a Dual 2.0 G5 2.5 gigs ram! 10.3.9... should be a sledgehammer, right? :roll:
Still Rocking!

dockthepod

Post by dockthepod » 15 Jun 2005, 17:48

Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I've run 3-4 huge (8 subtractor + reverb + etc) combinators on my poor little powerbook. It was strange to see the CPU go above 50% in reason, but understandable.

With your G5 I don't see how that could happen.
12" pb 867 :: omnistudio usb :: PODxt :: AN1x :: oxygen8 :: dp4.5 :: reason2.5 :: live4

Josh Mobley

Re: Reason cpu to 75%... Oh No!

Post by Josh Mobley » 15 Jun 2005, 17:54

they are working on this. expect a fix sooner than later

rooser wrote:Well, I didn't think I'd ever see it, but... I've been working on combinators lately, for drums, NNXTs and subtractors. Nothing too elaborate, mainly Maelstrom controlling rez and cutoff, filters on drums, that kind of thing. And frankly, the same effect as if I just used the sends on a couple mixers like I usually do?? So, after creating a template with 5 combinators: 2 drum machines, and 3 instruments, I cranked the whole thing up, run through a single mixer... Whoa! I've never even seen the cpu go that high in Reason... I'm talking 50% steady, and 75% with both drum machines running and a few chords playing! The combinator is the kiss of death for Reason as we know it... May be useful live, but it transforms a lean mean machine... into a honkin, snortin pot belly!! Anyone else tried to hook up a bunch to a mixer and play?? I'm ready for 2.5 with the MClass!

DOH! :?

rooser
Site Supporter

Post by rooser » 16 Jun 2005, 05:01

dockthepod wrote:Hmm, that doesn't sound right. I've run 3-4 huge (8 subtractor + reverb + etc) combinators on my poor little powerbook. It was strange to see the CPU go above 50% in reason, but understandable.

With your G5 I don't see how that could happen.
It does seem to be a case where WHAT you put in the combinators is important! I mean, Maelstrom's are really awesome for filtering... but they eat the cpu! I'm going back to my old templates untill they release the update... :?
Still Rocking!

lagowski

Post by lagowski » 16 Jun 2005, 07:47

It's the high quality reverbs and nnxt's that push mine over. Switching off 'high quality interpolation' on the nnxt's helped me a bit. I used four combis in one track live last week on my PB 1.25 and it was fine...
Lagowski, S.E.T.I. & Legion now on iTunes...

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » 18 Jun 2005, 20:34

Everything will be better in Reason 3.0.1, I promise.

Should be out within the next few weeks.
MacBook Pro (15" unibody, late 2008), OS X 10.5.6, Logic 8.0.2, Reason 4.0.1

Phosphene

yep

Post by Phosphene » 19 Jun 2005, 12:17

i blast my flies to the point they cant even play back sometimes.. but i think its due to the complexity of my compositions..
-c
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml