Recycle?? Anyone still using...

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
rooser
Site Supporter

Recycle?? Anyone still using...

Post by rooser » 18 Jun 2005, 07:46

I keep thinking I need this for Reason, and Logic... Too bad it doesn't have audio recording... Is it still worth having just for converting loops and stuff?? :roll:
Still Rocking!

Anton Torres

Post by Anton Torres » 18 Jun 2005, 07:48

If you plan on creating your own Rex files, I believe this is the only way to go. It still works just fine, BTW.

Best,
Anton
Anton

rooser
Site Supporter

Post by rooser » 18 Jun 2005, 08:13

I guess I'm wondering with Appleloops now, is Rex necessary for anything other than Reason... And since Logic will convert any audio file into an Appleloop, what's the value... Is it fairly easy to create new loops in Recycle from an exisitng file?? That would have some value for me since I have a million audio loops... and another million Rex loops? I'm trying to decide whether to get Soundtrack Pro, or Recycle possibly. I have DSP but haven't really found it to be very easy to do looping and adjustments... maybe I need to read the manual again?? Hmmm...
Still Rocking!

Anton Torres

Post by Anton Torres » 18 Jun 2005, 09:01

Here's the ReCycle demo. Perhaps you can answer some of your own questions.

I am more familiar with ReCycle (although I no longer use it) and haven't devoted much time to the Soundtrack Loop Utility. They're similar in approach, but feel very different to me. You might find that one of the two will be a more productive environment.

I'd make my final choice based on the host app: if I were heavily using Reason w/Dr. Rex, ReCycle becomes a must-have utility. If I stayed within Logic then the Soundtrack Loop Utility becomes indispensable.

Try them both out and see what sticks.

Best,
Anton
Anton

The Beatsmith
Twitter: P_Leezy

Post by The Beatsmith » 18 Jun 2005, 09:10

i haven't launched recycle since i got phatmatik pro
Don't sit on my amp

Get your music mixed by pro's: http://www.onlinemusicmixing.co.uk/
Web: http://www.associatedminds.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/P_Leezy

rooser
Site Supporter

Post by rooser » 18 Jun 2005, 11:02

Does Phatmatik work with Logic these days? Seems like I remember there were some problems... (Is it still even sold??)

Thanks! :)
Still Rocking!

Josh Mobley

Re: Recycle?? Anyone still using...

Post by Josh Mobley » 18 Jun 2005, 11:46

It's funny, I am seeing these kinds of questions more more. Not just about recycle but about loops in general. and the only conclusion I can come to is that people are "playing" less and arranging more. Is this a good or bad thing? I'm not sure.

I use recycle all the time because I want to physically play the sounds in a loop. Or, to break up a passage that I have recorded.

So here is the question, how many of you are still programming or playing drums as opposed to just using loops. Further more, how many of you use apple loops that aren't drum related?

rooser wrote:I keep thinking I need this for Reason, and Logic... Too bad it doesn't have audio recording... Is it still worth having just for converting loops and stuff?? :roll:

pbone
Site Supporter

Post by pbone » 18 Jun 2005, 12:10

I use Recycle and Phatmatik, but I'm saving my pennies for GURU.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out my music:
http://www.pbone.org/

rooser
Site Supporter

Post by rooser » 18 Jun 2005, 12:18

I've always programmed my own drums... I use loops as a way to fatten the overall drum sound... In Reason I'll have 2 Redrums, and maybe 3 Dr. Rex for percussion and various sounds... But... I have a ton of audio loops (drums) that I can either convert to Appleloops, or possibly Rex them... I'd like to be able to rearrange them and make other loops, fills etc. out of these audio loops... for use in Logic for instance, as a way to fatten the big drum picture... I've tried Phatmatik in the past, but not with Logic... Recycle demo only lets you use their demo loops... and NOT copy and paste slices, which is what I really want to do?? So... Back to the start! :roll:
Still Rocking!

rooser
Site Supporter

Post by rooser » 18 Jun 2005, 12:21

Phatmatik demo crashes in Logic 7.1 :( So much for that!
Still Rocking!

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » 18 Jun 2005, 17:04

recycle is so useless to me now ever since i began using Live, and it was too frustrating anyways

it would ask me for the disc and registration almost every time i'd go use it...idk why...a real pisser for the money not worth what was paid

Anton Torres

Post by Anton Torres » 18 Jun 2005, 17:11

recycle is so useless to me now ever since i began using Live
It all depends on your methods, style and needs. Both ReCycle and Soundtrack Loop Utility are great because they are brief asides into a different work environment. I could generate hundreds of useful files, either Rex or AppleLoop, and put them to use in the future. On the other hand, Live is an entirely different work environment that has it's own quirks and approach to generating sound that may or may not be a fit for everyone. This might be doubly true for someone who's already invested in a major DAW and isn't looking to add another to the list.
it was too frustrating anyways...it would ask me for the disc and registration almost every time i'd go use it...idk why...a real pisser for the money not worth what was paid
By design, the app will occasionally prompt for the original CD as a gentle form of copy protection. However, there was an known bug in one of the release versions. As I remember, the most recent OS X version I was using no longer asked for the CD too often.

Best,
Anton
Anton

Phosphene

i use them both

Post by Phosphene » 18 Jun 2005, 18:07

well i think most people are takeing it to a place where the question has not been full realised.. i would get them both.. i use them both .. if i did not have one then i could not use logic in the same way . or reaon for that matter.. i would definitly get them both.. my work flow would not be as smooth with out one another. i think they both do very diffrent things to audio and apple loops allows you thing that recycle will not and vis versa. reason has a particular sound as does logic. so if you want your work flow continues then get them both so there is no limit. who cares who is useing what.. its all about what you make of what you have. good luck.
-calmer
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » 18 Jun 2005, 20:07

I use recycle everyday. I use it to chop up drum samples, and musical samples. I export the files as AKP's, then use cdxtract to convert into almost any softsampler patches.

when mach5 2 come out, I will give it up. as, supposedly you will be able to have the same type of functionality(loop divide).

propeller heads, needs to do something with it. Products like guru, phatmatik pro, intakt, mach5 2, are amking recycle obsolete. Not to mention, propeller heads dropped hardware sample support.
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

flwehr

Post by flwehr » 18 Jun 2005, 20:33

One reason I still (occasionally) use ReCycle is that it is the only way of importing your own loops into Spectrasonics SAGE format, for Stylus RMX. Which is a pretty awesome tool.
8-core Mac Pro, OSX 10.5.2, Logic 8, Apogee Ensemble, ISA 428, etc.