Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
Heritage
Site Supporter

Post by Heritage » 23 Nov 2005, 13:11

I thought the crusades were over?

M

cheeky b

Post by cheeky b » 23 Nov 2005, 13:12

One thing I've noticed when working in a PT studio is that the engineers are quite cavalier about their edits - for example chopping up a vocal. In logic I would be chopping first then opening the sample editor to check and moving the sample start point to before the first tiny breath of audio taking care not to move the anchor point etc etc.

With Pro tools it seems to be look, maybe zoom in a bit, then chop. Next! Is there a good reason why it's so easy - wave form drawing perhaps?
Logic, powercores, metric halo, midi stuff.

zimv20
Site Supporter

Post by zimv20 » 23 Nov 2005, 13:53

cheeky b wrote:With Pro tools it seems to be look, maybe zoom in a bit, then chop. Next! Is there a good reason why it's so easy - wave form drawing perhaps?
practice, maybe? i've comped enough vocals where i can do it pretty easily now.

cheeky b

Post by cheeky b » 23 Nov 2005, 14:16

zimv20 wrote:
cheeky b wrote:With Pro tools it seems to be look, maybe zoom in a bit, then chop. Next! Is there a good reason why it's so easy - wave form drawing perhaps?
practice, maybe? i've comped enough vocals where i can do it pretty easily now.
Don't think so, all I ever seem to do is comp vocals! Days on bloody end of it. I'm pretty quick but PT looks quicker - I suppose it all comes down to how anal you want/need to be.

quicksand

Post by quicksand » 23 Nov 2005, 14:59

As far as I'm aware Pro Tools performs an auto crossfade on audio.
The other reason that editing in ProTools is fast is sample accuracy in the Edit Window - makes life a lot easier!

cheeky b

Post by cheeky b » 23 Nov 2005, 15:38

quicksand wrote:As far as I'm aware Pro Tools performs an auto crossfade on audio.
Now that would explain it - this would be a nice option to have.

zimv20
Site Supporter

Post by zimv20 » 23 Nov 2005, 15:51

cheeky b wrote:Don't think so, all I ever seem to do is comp vocals!
heh, you and me both.

maybe there is something in the PT software, then. and here i thought i was getting better :cry:

:-)

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 23 Nov 2005, 17:37

cheeky b wrote: In logic I would be chopping first then opening the sample editor to check and moving the sample start point to before the first tiny breath of audio taking care not to move the anchor point etc etc.
That seems rather tedious. There are lots of ways around the process. Just lassooing all the regions and applying a general crossfade can work. Also I find splitting by SPL with a keycommand can be much more accurate, and much quicker, than using scissors. But if you want to be more precise, especially to set the region start correctly, which I can understand, you can just keep one linked Sample Edit window open in your screenset so that whichever region is selected is shown. That saves a huge ampunt of time opening and closing for each region.
Also, do you use the 'pickup clock' command for moving regions ? That can also be a big timesaver over dragging them around with the mouse.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 23 Nov 2005, 18:50

cheeky b wrote:I'm pretty confident that I could set up a virtual instrument, play in a part, effect it and export it to the desktop as least as fast as I could do the same process in Live.
OK now I'm done, you do not own both Logic and Live obviously, and I do. I tell you it's not as easy as other DAWs to print soft instruments to an audio track in Logic as it is in other DAWs, and you continue to try to say I'm somehow exaggerating??? What more can I say? :?

This conversation has turned into a feedback loop, I know the only way to let it end is to stop replying to you, so I'm done.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

cheeky b

Post by cheeky b » 23 Nov 2005, 19:26

oink wrote:
cheeky b wrote: In logic I would be chopping first then opening the sample editor to check and moving the sample start point to before the first tiny breath of audio taking care not to move the anchor point etc etc.
That seems rather tedious. There are lots of ways around the process. Just lassooing all the regions and applying a general crossfade can work. Also I find splitting by SPL with a keycommand can be much more accurate, and much quicker, than using scissors. But if you want to be more precise, especially to set the region start correctly, which I can understand, you can just keep one linked Sample Edit window open in your screenset so that whichever region is selected is shown. That saves a huge ampunt of time opening and closing for each region.
Also, do you use the 'pickup clock' command for moving regions ? That can also be a big timesaver over dragging them around with the mouse.
Thanks Oink, the cross fade method is a bit of a lottery with vocals especially when you get double breaths, aspirants etc etc and the accuracy of the SPL only comes into play when you can see what's going on - which is why I have a bit of a problem with Logic's wave form drawing compared to PT or Sonic solutions for example. I will try the pick up clock command but unfortunately quite a few of the vocalists I've worked with are inconsistent with their timing from take to take - damn artists - and it's often a case of moving a phrase or a word or a syllable by ear.

mpr3
Site Supporter

Post by mpr3 » 23 Nov 2005, 23:32

cheeky b wrote:comp vocals ... I suppose it all comes down to how anal you want/need to be.
Exactly. You have to keep listening in relation to the mix, and not in solo or you run the risk of wasting time being overly anal.

For me, it is all about executing fast micro fades around the breath. I turn off the auto fade option because I do not like being restricted on region contraction over and over again, so I do all fades manually. I use the 'single audio voice across multiple tracks' method working from top to bottom when comping. I don't like moving regions and I don't like drawing waveforms, as they are usually signs of tracking mistakes which IMO shouldn't be fixed by the DAW.

quicksand

Post by quicksand » 24 Nov 2005, 00:23

mpr3 - i'm guessing that you're a big fan of the multi tool if you've turned the auto fades off...

sounds like a pretty cool way to comp vox.

i0n

Post by i0n » 24 Nov 2005, 01:23

Heritage wrote:I thought the crusades were over?
M
Do you also think, Santa was for real?
Oh wait, he is :-)

(there will always be crusades for this or that)

quicksand

Post by quicksand » 24 Nov 2005, 01:45

i0n wrote:
Heritage wrote:I thought the crusades were over?
M
Do you also think, Santa was for real?
Oh wait, he is :-)

(there will always be crusades for this or that)
When did the crusades end? :D