Rax 2.0

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 19 Jun 2006, 19:39

groove merchant wrote: Peter Kim has already posted a tutorial on using Rax with Quartz Composer to add live visuals to your set, and is planning to do additional tutorials on using Rax with Ableton Live in creative ways.
Definitely interested in this. I was looking at Rax and wondering if it would integrate with Live well... Host Zebra 2 in Rax and eliminate the 2-8 seconds of dead space between Live Sets that I get right now, as well as add some visuals.... though I have a feeling the Quartz Composer stuff is beyond my area of knowledge.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

groove merchant
Site Supporter

Post by groove merchant » 20 Jun 2006, 07:16

michael wrote:I have a feeling the Quartz Composer stuff is beyond my area of knowledge.
It's not too bad actually...I was tinkering with Quartz Composer a bit back in the days when it was called Pixelshox Studio (before Apple hired the developer and acquired future rights to the technology). If you've used MAX/MSP or Reaktor, it's pretty intuitive...same modules-and-cables paradigm, but it doesn't require as much depth to get good results. You can get some pretty slick stuff with just a few simple patches.
comb & tissue paper, kazoo, pots & pans, ring of keys, brand new denim jeans

desmond

Post by desmond » 21 Jun 2006, 10:58

Those gui's for the Apple plugs look fantastic - it would make me wanna use them over some other stuff I have, whereas now I pretty much ignore them, apart from the reverb occasionally...

It would be ace if you could make the Apple plugs available with your gui's, but I doubt that'll happen :(

Still, nice work!

atariboy
Forum Guru

Post by atariboy » 26 Jun 2006, 08:00

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Kanker, Thanks for guiding Erik to give a crashlog... we got them.

No Probs john, you are in the about screen anyway :) hope the project went well.

big daddy, maybe you should just wait for 10.5 anyway? :D

gizmostatic, rewire... it is of the top 2 requests - we are thinking about it, but no commitment yet.
Will you be using rax 2.0 for future gigs? PLEASE let us know how it goes.

desmond, glad you like them! It may be possible to make them work in other hosts.. we are pondering it.
music, blog, stuff: http://atariboy.com software: http://plasq.com
1.63g PB, Athlon PC, 20" iMac, MPC1000, AN1x, xStation, SK-1! + software 8)
UI Design: Rax, Wormhole2, Bidule, musolomo, 'plasq' iDrum, Zebra & Comic Life

DrMacMusic

RAX control of hardware sound module

Post by DrMacMusic » 28 Sep 2006, 21:33

I have been using RAX in live performances for a couple of months now, and I am a big fan. My setup is fairly simple. I use two keyboards, and a variety of AU instruments. I also have a Roland JV-1010 sound module. I run the outpur from the Roland into my laptop (Mac Powerbook), so that I can control the audio through RAX.

Unfortunately, I can not figure a way to use the midi control features of RAX to:

1) Direct which keyboard, and which portion of the keyboard, gets routed to the JV-1010

2) Select and change patches on the JV-1010.

Is there a way to do this with RAX? Right now, I am selecting patches by hand and 'hijacking' keyboards (using midi-keys) to play using the JV-1010.

E. Phillips