reason 4 announced

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
~ j ~

reason 4 announced

Post by ~ j ~ » 19 Jun 2007, 07:31

Last edited by ~ j ~ on 19 Jun 2007, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.

asaunders

Post by asaunders » 19 Jun 2007, 08:09

ah, awesome, I may actually upgrade from 2.5 now.

Still no audio input? (to use as an FX processor, not for sampling/recording)

otherwise, awesome update.
exposition of electro-vivisection

~ j ~

Post by ~ j ~ » 19 Jun 2007, 08:33

duno. hard to tell what theyve done withe the program from that small picture alone.
its been/seems so long since v3 ... nothing really jumps out and screams 'upgrade' to me.

Meester Smeeth

Post by Meester Smeeth » 19 Jun 2007, 08:38

... click the picture ;-)
My Band : Burnt Earth:
http://www.myspace.com/burntearthuk
Random Meester Smeeeth noodling with too much vocoder:
http://www.myspace.com/meestersmeeeth

asaunders

Post by asaunders » 19 Jun 2007, 09:26

BTW, this is more than kind of announced, there's a ton of detail in the pop up..

new sequencer with tempo-automation, multi-time-signature support and vector automation.
new arpegiator
new semi-modular synth (which sounds pretty incredible in the samples)
new groove/swing-processor, which could be pretty insane if it works like I think it does...

a huge update; only thing bumming me out is the lack of audio-input to use reason as an FX chain, which makes it much less useful for how I play live.

pangmaster
Site Supporter

Post by pangmaster » 19 Jun 2007, 09:29

asaunders wrote:ah, awesome, I may actually upgrade from 2.5 now.

Still no audio input? (to use as an FX processor, not for sampling/recording)

otherwise, awesome update.
Yeah, I never upgraded to 3.0. It didn't offer anything worth the money. I hardly use Reason anymore, but I'm curious to see what this Thor synth can do, so I may upgrade for that reason alone.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

xpander

Post by xpander » 19 Jun 2007, 09:31

I am also on Reason 2.5 and am ready to upgrade. I know people (including myself) will be dissapointed about not being able to record audio. But I understand their reasons (no pun intended), and keeping it a 'closed' program enables them to concentrate on improving the features it does have.

Besides, just about everybody has some type of recording application, most of which support ReWire. I think the new synth looks like a real monster...I hope it lives up to its' image (literally...the GUI is pretty sexy).

With Leopard coming out around the corner, I wonder if v.4 will be compatible out of the box, or if we will have to wait for updates? I'm assuming software updates for 10.5 compatability will come after Apple releases it. Then we all get to play the 'upgrade/update' game with all of our software, some of which has just recently been updated for 10.4+ and in UB format.

I just hope that Reason 4 is stable when it's released, and will not require an update to v.4.0.1 within the first month. I've been pleased with Reason's stability so far, and I'm confident that the 'Props' will deliver a great product.

Peace - xpander

asaunders

Post by asaunders » 19 Jun 2007, 09:35

I don't care about recording audio, I do care about routing live outside audio into reason, through it's FX, and then back out again, for recording in live or logic.

is this possible?

pangmaster
Site Supporter

Post by pangmaster » 19 Jun 2007, 09:37

xpander wrote:With Leopard coming out around the corner, I wonder if v.4 will be compatible out of the box, or if we will have to wait for updates? I'm assuming software updates for 10.5 compatability will come after Apple releases it. Then we all get to play the 'upgrade/update' game with all of our software, some of which has just recently been updated for 10.4+ and in UB format.
When I signed up for the beta, they asked what type of computer and OS I would be using. One of the choices was 10.5, so it would seem that they at least are thinking about 10.5 support.
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

Big Daddy

Post by Big Daddy » 19 Jun 2007, 09:38

Cool, but it looks like I need a new Mac to run it... FINALLY!!
Remember... no whining :)

Visit http://bulldawgsound.com/ for great dp 4 tips and tricks, drum samples and more!

Lots of stuff...

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 19 Jun 2007, 10:18

xpander wrote: I'm assuming software updates for 10.5 compatability will come after Apple releases it. Then we all get to play the 'upgrade/update' game with all of our software, some of which has just recently been updated for 10.4+ and in UB format.
It's my guess that programs that work in Lepoard will also work in Tiger unless they use some kind of stuff like CoreAnimation, as far as Audio programs go I do not think they will be doing that anytime soon.
Last edited by ottoman42a on 19 Jun 2007, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

Ned Bouhalassa
Moderator & Site Supporter

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » 19 Jun 2007, 13:03

I'm also ready to jump to 4 from 2.5. Guess there's a bunch of us who were waiting for it to be worth it, huh? :wink:
My website/blog: You Shoot I Score

xpander

Post by xpander » 19 Jun 2007, 13:14

Thanks for that info pangmaster...I'm trying to figure out the cost of upgrading my PPC software (and which ones in particular), so I can jump on the Intel-Mac bandwaggon. I will probably wait until 10.5 comes out to make the switch. I can get by for now with my trusty Dual 1Ghz G4...although it's really time for a new machine.

Peace - xpander

funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy » 19 Jun 2007, 14:18

The fact they haven't included an audio input in this version is a real drag! I would love to use Reason as an fx rack and can't understand why they haven't implemented one!
please check out some of my music
http://www.thesixtyone.com/Funkyfreddy/

dead_red_eyes

Post by dead_red_eyes » 19 Jun 2007, 14:48

Hell yes!!! I can't wait!

I'll agree with the other comments on here, they need to add an audio input ... freaking rediculous that they haven't done this now. Argh.
Macbook Pro ('07)[15.4", 2.16Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, OS X 10.5.7] | Digital Performer 5.13 | Logic Pro 9.0.2 | Reason 4.0.1 | Various Soft-Synths | Alesis iO/26