reason 4 announced

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
Tronam

Post by Tronam » 22 Jun 2007, 20:27

jonutarr wrote:Reason will never allow recording of audio for political reasons, they would lose all their DAW sponsors if they did so

id rather them focus on synths and sounds anyway
It may seem like that could be the reasoning, but it isn't really true. They simply have a core philosophy to Reason that they've remained very consistent with since day one. They'd rather do a few things very well, than a bunch of things in a mediocre way. They view Reason as a semi-modular instrument / workstation, not as a DAW. They know it's a niche product (people act as though the Propellerheads are oblivious), but they're comfortable with that position and stick to their design model closely. By maintaining their closed environment, they can code everything to be as efficient and robust as possible without the introduction of stability threatening 3rd party code and the various standards which they have no control over (such as the poorly documented VST standard and AU, which they'd need to support as well). They avoid a mountain of potential issues as a result. The moment they open the doorway to audio recording, MIDI out and VST/AU, everything would change and they'd need to rethink the whole design of the program and rack metaphor. Rack compatibility and CV/audio routing would be an inconsistent mess across the myriad of commercial and freeware VST devices. Instant recall, cross-platform compatibility and song portability would be out-the-window. Once audio recording is implemented, it will always be viewed as inferior to most every other dedicated DAW out there and people would never be satisfied. They will want 100s of features added, bloating the program immensely and it will never be good enough. Disk streaming (which is something Reason has never been capable of) adds a whole new dimension of system resource intensiveness and potential stability issues. People would want MIDI SYSEX support, MIDI effects and a patch/bank system. Etc...

Anyways, they've been very clear on this stuff for years now and have essentially said "it isn't our area of expertise. Others do it far better", yet the waves of whining still kick in at every single development cycle; people acting shocked as though it were a big surprise. Many people seem incapable of just accepting Reason for what it is and what the Propellerheads want it to be. I suspect that if the Props ever choose to explore any of those areas in the future, it will be with a brand new product, perhaps a sister application to Reason.
Dual 2GHz G5 PowerMac | OSX.4.9 | Echo Layla24 | DSP-Quattro

stringtapper
Site Supporter

Post by stringtapper » 22 Jun 2007, 20:31

Tronam wrote:
jonutarr wrote:Reason will never allow recording of audio for political reasons, they would lose all their DAW sponsors if they did so

id rather them focus on synths and sounds anyway
It may seem like that could be the reasoning, but it isn't really true. They simply have a core philosophy to Reason that they've remained very consistent with since day one. They'd rather do a few things very well, than a bunch of things in a mediocre way. They view Reason as a semi-modular instrument / workstation, not as a DAW. They know it's a niche product (people act as though the Propellerheads are oblivious), but they're comfortable with that position and stick to their design model closely. By maintaining their closed environment, they can code everything to be as efficient and robust as possible without the introduction of stability threatening 3rd party code and the various standards which they have no control over (such as the poorly documented VST standard and AU, which they'd need to support as well). They avoid a mountain of potential issues as a result. The moment they open the doorway to audio recording, MIDI out and VST/AU, everything would change and they'd need to rethink the whole design of the program and rack metaphor. Rack compatibility and CV/audio routing would be an inconsistent mess across the myriad of commercial and freeware VST devices. Instant recall, cross-platform compatibility and song portability would be out-the-window. Once audio recording is implemented, it will always be viewed as inferior to most every other dedicated DAW out there and people would never be satisfied. They will want 100s of features added, bloating the program immensely and it will never be good enough. Disk streaming (which is something Reason has never been capable of) adds a whole new dimension of system resource intensiveness and potential stability issues. People would want MIDI SYSEX support, MIDI effects and a patch/bank system. Etc...

Anyways, they've been very clear on this stuff for years now and have essentially said "it isn't our area of expertise. Others do it far better", yet the waves of whining still kick in at every single development cycle; people acting shocked as though it were a big surprise. Many people seem incapable of just accepting Reason for what it is and what the Propellerheads want it to be. I suspect that if the Props ever choose to explore any of those areas in the future, it will be with a brand new product, perhaps a sister application to Reason.
Well put.
Unsound Designer

Silverlode

Post by Silverlode » 23 Jun 2007, 11:17

AUDIO IN is NOT THE SAME as RECORDING....stop saying Reason should record audio. No one wants that.
y.t. Silverlode

TheBSide - Mucca Pazza - Maxel Toft

velocipede
Site Supporter

Post by velocipede » 23 Jun 2007, 14:06

Regarding a Reason Combinator as a plug, I don't think it will happen either, but I don't think it is impossible and I think it would extend the usability and popularity of the program.

I believe that Arturia's Storm, which is similar to Reason, worked as a plugin in version 2, but they dropped support of this feature in 3. (Now, they seem to have abandoned the program entirely.)
MBP 2.16, Logic 8, Live 8, Numerology, enough stuff, not enough time

TeleC

Post by TeleC » 24 Jun 2007, 14:08

well... I like Reason for what it is. If I wanted or needed something else, I would get something else. I'm easy to please I guess...
MacBook 2.0Ghz, PreSonus Inspire, Garageband, Reason 3.05, M-Audio 49 keys thing, Alesis M1's....Highway 1 Telecaster, Epiphone Sheraton 2, 1991 American STD Strat.... Peavey Classic 30...too many pedals!

Phosphene

amazing

Post by Phosphene » 25 Jun 2007, 22:14

if you have 2.5 .....you are missing out on the combinator and if you think its not that big of a deal.. you are flat out wrong....... 4 is here.. some very needed and nice improvments.. the guy who put this whole audio recording winning thing to light said it correctly....i think propellerheads are doing a great job..
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml

Ned Bouhalassa
Moderator & Site Supporter

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » 03 Jul 2007, 07:52

Well, I just tested the beta. The good news is that there are some cool things in there, for sure. The bad news, for me at least, is that I'm officially too old for Reason! Yeah, the numbers/letters on the modules are just too freakin small for me, at least on my desktop setup. Bye, bye, baby, it's been sweet. :wink:
My website/blog: You Shoot I Score

mirador
Site Supporter

Post by mirador » 05 Jul 2007, 13:56

There´s yet hope, Ned! Apple to the rescue...
Go to System preferences -> Universal access -> Zoom (Apple+opt+eight) & you´re saved!!!
:D

Ned Bouhalassa
Moderator & Site Supporter

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » 05 Jul 2007, 14:51

Hey, thanks Mirador - good call!
My website/blog: You Shoot I Score