Soft CMI or Synclavier? why not???

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
michael
Site Supporter

Soft CMI or Synclavier? why not???

Post by michael » 07 Jan 2008, 20:02

Why hasn't anybody made a soft synth emulation of the Fairlight CMI or Synclavier??

I would buy it in a second, just to appease my teenage self who always lusted after one. No, I don't want sample CDs of CMI sounds etc.
Blah. I seem to remember hearing about some company working on one years ago.[SPAM]
DP7, Live 8 Suite

huggie
Site Supporter

Post by huggie » 07 Jan 2008, 22:50

I used the Fairlight CMI in the early 90's. Fantastic sounding sampler... Editing on a VGA screen was a breeze too... Page 4 (Harmonic Profiles) and Page 6 (Waveform Drawing) were so cool!

Ahh... the joy's of working in a big studio...

I still have 8mm data tapes with samples and sequencers on them. One day I'll find someone who still got one and transfer them...

Hugo
Goldbaby Productions
Sample Libraries
http://www.goldbaby.co.nz

desmond

Re: Soft CMI or Synclavier? why not???

Post by desmond » 08 Jan 2008, 00:11

michael wrote:Why hasn't anybody made a soft synth emulation of the Fairlight CMI or Synclavier??
I think primarily because the things that they did were amazing in the 80's, but pretty commonplace now.

The Fairlight's Page R is a pretty crap sequencer compared to our moden tools - it's basically a tracker. Earlier Fairlight's have an attractive grungy quality, which might be useful though.

The Synclavier, again, high quality 16-bit sampling and FM synthesis, and a MIDI sequencer. Nothing really special in isolation.

The things that made those two devices special was the hardware - Synclaviers were built with military grade components, and of course with Fairlights you could get the dinky display and lightpen. Many of them had discrete DtoA conversion for each voice, which added to the depth of sound.

Really, a soft Synclavier or Fairlight (and I share the same lust from someone who back in the day lusted after those things while owning a Casio VL-1 ;) ) - would probably only make people realise what a crap sequencer and sampler the Fairlight is (these days).

Really, taking the libraries into a modern DAW environment would give you a million times the potential, if not the nostalgia...

Simon666

Post by Simon666 » 08 Jan 2008, 06:44

Also had lots of fun with the Fairlight in '87 down at the Fairlight 'base camp' in Sydney, did a few TV themes ... but no, I wouldn't want to work with it's "sequencer" and logic again ....

I guess what people will want from the Fairlight are the classic sound libraries.
Hollowsun are selling some.
The 80s tonal revival should be hitting the late 80s soon, yes? So we'll get that flute again

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 08 Jan 2008, 08:30

desmond wrote:
michael wrote:Why hasn't anybody made a soft synth emulation of the Fairlight CMI or Synclavier??
Many of them had discrete DtoA conversion for each voice, which added to the depth of sound.
I cut out everything that wasn't relevant to my inquiry. Basically I'm not trying to get into a coamparison war between these devices and modern samplers, but both devices were primarily workstation synths with sampling, and they had a unique sound.
Why would you want an emulation of a PPG considering that by todays standards the PPG is thin and synthetic sounding analog modeling? Maybe because it has a unique set of filters, and other modulation possibilities?

Personally I would buy it.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

Acelera

Post by Acelera » 08 Jan 2008, 10:02

michael wrote: Personally I would buy it.
I'd buy it, too! The synthesis and sampling on the CMI III, especially, still stands up to anything else out there. Not in terms of the biggest sampling memory but in terms of musicality and sound. The continuous dynamic reclocking it did to repitch samples was pure genius, for example. As desmond said, the lack of summing anywhere on the audio signal path was a big bonus too. The whole point of a virtual CMI would be to reenact its sound - which shouldn't be that difficult given that all the manuals and libraries are still floating out there - I don't think anyone wants page 'R' sequencing :)

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 09 Jan 2008, 11:02

Acelera wrote:
michael wrote: Personally I would buy it.
I'd buy it, too! The synthesis and sampling on the CMI III, especially, still stands up to anything else out there. Not in terms of the biggest sampling memory but in terms of musicality and sound. The continuous dynamic reclocking it did to repitch samples was pure genius, for example. As desmond said, the lack of summing anywhere on the audio signal path was a big bonus too. The whole point of a virtual CMI would be to reenact its sound - which shouldn't be that difficult given that all the manuals and libraries are still floating out there - I don't think anyone wants page 'R' sequencing :)
OK you get my point! Sure update the parts that need updating, but keep the things that are unique. There is definitely a CMI sound, as much as there is a DX7 sound or a PPG sound, and it I think deserves and emulation, including the waveform drawing etc. :D
DP7, Live 8 Suite

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 09 Jan 2008, 14:57

Simon666 wrote:Also had lots of fun with the Fairlight in '87 down at the Fairlight 'base camp' in Sydney, did a few TV themes ... but no, I wouldn't want to work with it's "sequencer" and logic again ....

I guess what people will want from the Fairlight are the classic sound libraries.
Hollowsun are selling some.
The 80s tonal revival should be hitting the late 80s soon, yes? So we'll get that flute again
Be aware that the Hollow sun product is not UB, the voice of experience from an owner of a few Kompakt romplers that were never ported.

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo

Acelera

Post by Acelera » 09 Jan 2008, 17:59

michael wrote:OK you get my point! Sure update the parts that need updating, but keep the things that are unique. There is definitely a CMI sound, as much as there is a DX7 sound or a PPG sound, and it I think deserves and emulation, including the waveform drawing etc. :D
Ah, if only we could find a developer for this.... 8) Urs, where are you?

JRuss

Post by JRuss » 12 Sep 2013, 18:33

I have successfully made a Synclavier emulator in Core Reaktor, the part of Reaktor for deeper DSP math. I am now working on porting it using lib-pd to other platforms, mainly with iOS in mind. I have the audio engine mostly complete but no GUI yet. I am working on learning Objective-C so I can make a complete application or plugin with it for Apple hardware. There are some sticky licensing issues with using the Synclavier trademark as it is still owned by one of the two co-founders of NED. Anyway, I'll surely post back here if I have any news.

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 13 Sep 2013, 10:01

This thread, risen from the dead!

You will have to be creative with the naming, Peter Vogel had to change the name of his iPad app, and he has a license agreement for look and feel.

http://petervogelinstruments.com.au/

It's a nice app.

For everything musical in the iOS world. http://www.idesignsound.com/

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo

OSXDeveloper

Post by OSXDeveloper » 01 Oct 2014, 23:29

Heads up on this:
VJO Wave2 - a fairlight series system sequencer package for OSX
http://www.visualjockey.com/wave2/index.html

I'm fielding comments, so let me know :)

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 22 Oct 2014, 17:05

OSXDeveloper wrote:Heads up on this:
VJO Wave2 - a fairlight series system sequencer package for OSX
http://www.visualjockey.com/wave2/index.html

I'm fielding comments, so let me know :)
Hi, looks pretty cool. The main obvious question is if you will be supporting ReWire with this? it seems it would run in slave mode just fine as it doesn't host plug ins. This way we could incorporate this approach into our regular DAWs.

The other one is a rough ball park of what you're looking at selling it for. I realize that's a rough one, but most of us won't be able to buy it if it's as expensive as a regular DAW.
DP7, Live 8 Suite