Corrupt audio file recovery

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
markoos

Corrupt audio file recovery

Post by markoos » 14 Mar 2009, 06:30

I think I saw an ad or a review somewhere for an app which can recover corrupt audio - I've got loads of dodgy files from an HD recovery last year and I would really like to be able to use them.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is there anything already around which works?

(...'help me, BBL - you're my only hope...')
"...there's only 45 degrees between the Zombie and the Hitler..." Me, Saturday night, in front of the speakers.

Superballoon

Re: Corrupt audio file recovery

Post by Superballoon » 14 Mar 2009, 08:49

If the files are/where uncompressed, (no codec, just raw audio) it shouldn't be a problem... because all you are probably missing is the header of the file, where the audio settings are stored.

So if the files are damaged/broken/in pieces, but you know they should be 24 bit, aif, little-endian, 48000 khz blablabla, you can tell any program that supports raw audio to open them like that.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but I think Soundhack can open raw audio files, ie you can tell the program to open *any* file as an audio file.

http://www.soundhack.com/freeware.php

Then you can save as, cut away the headers and other glitches manually.

I have never ever NOT been able to recover audio, as long as it is uncompressed (ie raw data in a stream). It is always just a matter of getting the import settings right, it can be a puzzle but it is just a puzzle :)

I'm sure there are other apps that can open raw files. I'd bet (but i'm too lazy to check) that the recently updated ffmpeg tools and/or VLC can chew aboslutely anything.

Good luck!
MBP, OSX 10.6, Logic 9, FCP7, Live 8. Web.

markoos

Post by markoos » 14 Mar 2009, 09:07

I'm having some success with Soundhack - thanks for that - but some of the files still won't play so I'll try VLC next.
"...there's only 45 degrees between the Zombie and the Hitler..." Me, Saturday night, in front of the speakers.

rrR
Site Supporter

Post by rrR » 14 Mar 2009, 10:17

You might try the below...
It's beta & I believe a bit buggy but it might fix corrupt audio files.
Rand

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/vie ... 30&t=45469
"Backline (download) is our new utility for Mac OS X. Think of it as Cocktail or OnyX for audio geeks. What does it do?
- Audio File First Aid: repair malformed audio files
etc....."

sdaino

Post by sdaino » 14 Mar 2009, 10:19

markoos wrote:I think I saw an ad or a review somewhere for an app which can recover corrupt audio - I've got loads of dodgy files from an HD recovery last year and I would really like to be able to use them.

Anyone got any suggestions? Is there anything already around which works?

(...'help me, BBL - you're my only hope...')
you can try using DSP-Quattro, it has an menu command File->Import->ImportRAW. Then you can set the byte order, bytes/sample, sample rate, num of channels and bytes offset from the file start to read audio samples. It works always perfect if your source file is an AIFF, WAVE or SDII or another PCM based (uncompressed) audio file format.

Hoping this will help you,

Stefano Daino
support @ dsp-quattro.com
http://www.dsp-quattro.com

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 14 Mar 2009, 15:21

Wave Editor will also fix corrupted audio files

markoos

Post by markoos » 15 Mar 2009, 05:46

rrR wrote:You might try the below...

"Backline (download) is our new utility for Mac OS X. Think of it as Cocktail or OnyX for audio geeks. What does it do?
- Audio File First Aid: repair malformed audio files
etc....."
Wouldn't install for me - realised it needs 10.5 - I'm staying on 10.4.11; thanks for the suggestion though.

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 15 Mar 2009, 15:41

Wave Editor http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/wa ... hspecs.php from the same mob, will work on 10.4..

but it ain't free

markoos

Post by markoos » 20 Mar 2009, 15:28

Thanks for all your suggestions - I'm going to try Wave Editor first because I already own Isotope RX and I like what it does. If that doesn't work, I have to say Stefano, Quattro won't be my next choice (sorry, please don't take it personally!). This is due to the cost, but also due to the fact that I've had little success when trying to use Quattro CM SE in the past. Sorry!

Matthew Foust

Post by Matthew Foust » 16 Apr 2009, 21:50

Wave Editor, Sample Manager and Backline all have Audio File First Aid. Wave Editor will import Raw audio as well. You either need to know the channel count, bit depth, SR and endianness or make some educated guesses.
Matthew Foust
Audiofile Engineering
Telecaster+Savage Gläs 30x

markoos

Post by markoos » 24 Apr 2009, 05:00

Ambuehl_Cindy, it's not actually the recovery that's the problem (already used File Salvage with good results to recover files from a formatted disk) but the repair of corrupted, recovered files. Thanks for your suggestion all the same.

Nicknewtown

Post by Nicknewtown » 05 Mar 2012, 18:42

Hi all. I am very new to all this but have a corrupt audio file that I need urgently fixed. Can someone please help me. I have tried Soundhack but with no luck. This is the message I am getting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Watt_DeFalk

Post by Watt_DeFalk » 20 Jul 2012, 05:29

markoos wrote: ...(already used File Salvage with good results to recover files from a formatted disk)...
When I used File Salvage to restore a big folder of soundfiles I accidentally trashed, the result was disheartening. All file names were ignored and replaced with a string including the date and time. Long files were broken up into segments, and at the end of each segment a noise spike had been inserted. Did you have a similar experience? Any remedies?

AeroQ

Post by AeroQ » 15 Jan 2013, 01:11

Hi all,

As mentioned in previous posts, undeleting an audio files is easy. There's plenty of tools for that.
But the recovered file is almost always corrupt or unplayable: it needs to be fixed.

Unfortunately, no miracles here. Only companies dedicated to video and audio recovery will give you results.

For DIY guys and people familiar with hex editors, a few tutorials to repair audio files here:
http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/aiff
http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/corrupt-audio

-- Benoit