NRPN to midi cc converter : any tips using Andromeda?

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
macha

NRPN to midi cc converter : any tips using Andromeda?

Post by macha » 21 Sep 2009, 03:22

I have my Alesis Andromeda set up as my master keyboard. It would make sense to be able to use it as midi controller.
Alesis Andy sends NRPN innstead of midi cc so I need some sort of hard or software conversion tool.
Google does not give me an answer.
Anyone with the golden tip?

1nput0utput

Re: NRPN to midi cc converter : any tips using Andromeda?

Post by 1nput0utput » 21 Sep 2009, 13:46

The NRPN message is composed of multiple separate control change messages transmitted one after the other. CC 99 is the NRPN MSB and CC 98 is the NRPN LSB. These will always be at the beginning of a NRPN message.

After those two, there can be one of two possibilities:
• CC 6 and CC 38 as an MSB/LSB pair for the data value.
-OR-
• CC 96 to increment the data value, CC 97 to decrement the data value

Most devices use only a seven-bit data value and don't utilize increment and decrement. That means that in most cases, the NRPN message will be CC 99/CC 98/CC 6. I don't know a lot about the Andromeda, but I would guess that that's what it's transmitting. Therefore, if you filter out the CC 99 and CC 98 messages with the software you're using, you're left with a single seven-bit controller (CC 6). (For instance, Digital Performer can be set to ignore specific controllers by using the Input Filter feature.)

Either do that or set the Andromeda to transmit seven-bit CCs instead of NRPNs. Duh.

macha

Post by macha » 21 Sep 2009, 14:03

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about this. Will try to filter cc99 and cc98 in logic tommorrow.
Will report back later. :)

macha

Post by macha » 22 Sep 2009, 14:25

Damn. I can t figure out a way how to filter cc s in Logic. Don t think it 's possible.
The andromeda does not give me the possibilty to filter cc s either.
Guess i ll have to find an app or box for this...

1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput » 23 Sep 2009, 09:48

macha wrote:Damn. I can t figure out a way how to filter cc s in Logic. Don t think it 's possible.
The andromeda does not give me the possibilty to filter cc s either.
Guess i ll have to find an app or box for this...
I find it hard to believe that Logic doesn't have a MIDI input filter and that the Andromeda can't be switched between transmitting NRPNs and control change. Surely one of those two things must be possible. Have you checked the documentation?

macha

Post by macha » 23 Sep 2009, 11:15

yes checked the manuals over and over again.
in logic you can only filter categories of midi imput. not sepecific cc s.
andromeda only allows filtering cc s at its input not the output.

found a vst of insewrtpizz which shoul;d do it but vst only. tried it in live 7 but does not work either. :-(

1nput0utput

Post by 1nput0utput » 25 Sep 2009, 08:20

Another alternative would be to change nothing on the Andromeda or in Logic but set a parameter on the destination device to respond to CC 6. For instance, in the synth plug-in that is receiving the MIDI data, set it so that CC 6 modulates the filter cutoff frequency.

macha

Post by macha » 26 Sep 2009, 08:35

Thnx again for your input. :D
MIdi cc and midi controller set up is not one of my strong points.
I am too lazy also to manually set up the andromeda every time.
I would like to use just midi learn in the respective audio unit and then tweak the knob I want as controller.

At the andromeda forum I can t find any user either who solved this NRPN to CC issue......
80 tweakknobs and 80 push buttons which are screaming to be used as midi controllers! :scratch:
Damn , I can t believe that it is not possible.

macha

Post by macha » 26 Sep 2009, 08:35

:scratch: :scratch:
Last edited by macha on 26 Sep 2009, 08:36, edited 2 times in total.

fader8

Post by fader8 » 26 Sep 2009, 13:12

macha wrote:Damn. I can t figure out a way how to filter cc s in Logic. Don t think it 's possible.
You can filter, scale, transform or twist any specific CC data any way you like in Logic, but I think you'll find it easier to just disable the Andromeda's NRPN Tx Mode and enable its CC Tx mode.

macha

Post by macha » 26 Sep 2009, 13:25

:o Are you sure that the Andromeda has this function?
I just assumed that the Andromeda userforum was right about the fact that it only sends out NRPN.
I took their replies for a fact actually.

Can you confirm from experience that you can switch it to midi cc out instead of NRPN?

please let it be true. I ve tried the pdf manual of the Andy but I can t find anything on this....

macha

Post by macha » 26 Sep 2009, 14:03

Indeed there are pages in the global settings where you can " thin" the NRPN signal but this does not help.
The software ( Logic 9 + 3rd party AUs ) responds way too fast. Knobs move from 0 to max when I turn the Andromeda knobs only a quarter.
I guess the Value Area in Learn mode of Logic is the only thing left to try out.
Still searching for a solution.

fader8

Post by fader8 » 26 Sep 2009, 14:13

It's been a few years since I've played with one so I'll refresh my memory from the manual. Let's see, on page 258 it explains how to set the NRPN Tx mode to Local only. Page 256 details turning CC Tx on, but I can't remember if that's just for the ribbons and pedals or not. You'll have to try it out.

As for converting nrpn's in Logic, read the manual on using transformer environment objects. Set the condition to the controller number and filter matching events.

macha

Post by macha » 26 Sep 2009, 14:34

Your memory is impressive. :wink:
Sadly the Andy only allows this for the ribbon and pedal ....not for the panel. 8)
Setting NRPN to Local switches off all midi coming from the panel of the Andromeda.
The solution is not in the Andromeda I fear.
Also the settings in Logics Learn mode don t solve this issue.

Using some object in the environment might be something. It went trough my mind but as I am not really an expert when it comes to the environment in Logic I wanted to avoid that solution.
But I have no choice I guess..... i ll have to try your suggestion on the transformer object. Thnx for the tip.

velocipede
Site Supporter

Post by velocipede » 01 Oct 2009, 22:31

Would MidiPipe be able to do that?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10541
MBP 2.16, Logic 8, Live 8, Numerology, enough stuff, not enough time