Wave Editor trim and fade workflow

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Wave Editor trim and fade workflow

Post by G » 27 Dec 2009, 18:59

I'm curious about something, because most of what I see in Wave Editor makes total sense. This especially coming from both and audio and a design background, including Photoshop (layers, a "work" master file, etc.).

I typically use an editor like WE for trimming the start and ends of mixes and masters, often with a fade out at the end, sometimes a fade at the start if there was noise in the good old days. But I'm having to dig through a couple of layers of hierarchal menus to get to the Fade commands every time, and can't assign keyboard shortcuts to them. Everything else is quick until I get to this, so I know I must be missing something. Is there a shortcut I don't know of?
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

Tarekith

Re: Wave Editor trim and fade workflow

Post by Tarekith » 28 Dec 2009, 08:12

Unfortunately not, been asking for it myself for awhile too. Ditto on inserting plug ins, very tedious when you're doing it with a lot of files all day, everyday. Minor complaint though I guess, and Audiofile have said they are looking into it. Hopefully it'll be in the new 2.0 release.
InnerPortalStudio.com Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 28 Dec 2009, 14:20

Yeh, I impulsively purchased WE upon their price drop, thinking it intuitive and a great new way of working in a realm where there was a dearth of good products.

Alas I have found it less of a smooth way to work in practice, with a ditto the ditto apropos plugin inserting.

STP is now a little more stable [since Logic 9] and i reach for it for audio file manipulation over WE..

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 28 Dec 2009, 15:01

Since posting this, I've dug around a little more. The right-click contextual menu is slightly better for fades, but I'd love to set up my favorite old Command-/ and Command-\ (from Peak days) for quick fade planting. On the plus side, I re-discovered the mouse scroll wheel for zoom and moving around in WE, and that is super nice.

I had skipped STP3 with Logic 9 since I didn't upgrade Final Cut Studio and it was going to break that with some new libraries. I remember STP2 used to drive me up the wall with nonsense behaviors like play wrapping to the beginning of the file while I was working on an end fade. And of course, no keyboard shortcut editor.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 28 Dec 2009, 17:11

Good information to have. Thanks.

I also did not upgrade FCP [educational licence!!] but had never had too much success with the roundtrip from STP to FCP and back, so upgraded from Logic Pro anyway, and it [STP] is a significantly improved product. Not without flaws to be certain, but worth a look.