Wavelab 7 for Mac Observations and Frustration

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
thighpilot
Twitter: thighpilot

Wavelab 7 for Mac Observations and Frustration

Post by thighpilot » 27 Oct 2012, 15:59

I’ve had an opportunity to work with Wavelab 7 for Mac for a little while now. I just wanted to share some observations. As you know may have read I am former Bias Peak user that switched to Wavelab. Just thought I would share some observations for others who are in the same boat.

What I can say is that it’s by far the buggiest piece of software on my machine. I have absolutely no idea how this can be considered production software in any sense of the word. Every time I open it after working with it for a while it seems to crash for some reason or another.

Here are some of the issues I have noticed.

- Plugins not properly displaying. Apparently this has something to do with the GUI framework that Steinberg decided to use.

- Using either the global bypass or plugin bypass while using external gear with plugins after it will make Wavelab die a horrible death

- In the middle of working on a song Wavelab will crash randomly. This seems to happen more often with some plugins than others. The crashes don’t seem to be consistently reproducible other than happening almost every time I use Wavelab. I have noticed that UA plugins seem to have this happen more often. I've even just twisted a knob on the UA bx_Digital V2 and bang Wavelab dies.

- Wavelab apparently likes to adjust knobs for you on plugins. If you were turning a knob on a plugin and it had focus at some point then you switch to some other part of the Wavelab interface, say to switch tabs or change place in the waveform the knob will turn. Annoying in many cases and really bad in others. This has happened even when the interface was not being displayed.

- Wavelab will open plugin windows for you, even when you don’t intend them too. I’ve seen this happen when rearranging the tabs on the interface, then pop in your face are plugin windows.

I actually reported the External Gear Hardware Bypass lockup to the developer on the forums. He basically told me it won't be fixed before the next version. So yay!!!! Version 8. I don't have any crazy configurations or things that are out of the ordinary. I am still running Snow Leopard, but a lot of studios still are so I'm not sure.

When Wavelab works there are a few things about it that I like.

- DDP Export
- Works with external analog equipment
- Some of the analysis features are nice
- Smart Bypass (although I can never use it)
- The Crystal Resampler is pretty good

You have no idea how much I wish Sound Forge supported external hardware right now. I'd switch in a heartbeat.
Nathan Hamiel
Artist / Producer / Remixer
The Freq Zone
http://freqzone.com
http://www.thighpilot.com
iMac 3.4 GHz i7, Logic 9, Live 9, Wavelab 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Rupert Neve 5059, UA Apollo Quad, Focal Solo 6be, Focal Sub 6, Access Virus TI2

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Re: Wavelab 7 for Mac Observations and Frustration

Post by G » 27 Oct 2012, 17:06

Cubase taught me a good habit, from the Atari ST days to the Mac days: Command-S. It was always notorious for crashing, even before VST plug-ins could be blamed for it. Since being forced to move to Logic in 2000 (since Steinberg doesn't support TDM), crashing has been reduced a good 90% and I haven't lost a single song to a crash, due to Logic's nice trap/save feature. I wrote my most successful songs in Cubase, so I have love for the app, but I have no idea what Steinberg's idea of quality control is. And it only got worse after they decided to support Windows.

Have you considered doing your audio manipulation inside of Logic, then just trimming and assembling the output (DDP, etc.) in one of these editors? I find having all the tracks side-by-side in a DAW makes mastering comparisons easier and faster.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

thighpilot
Twitter: thighpilot

Post by thighpilot » 28 Oct 2012, 10:37

G wrote:Cubase taught me a good habit, from the Atari ST days to the Mac days: Command-S. It was always notorious for crashing, even before VST plug-ins could be blamed for it. Since being forced to move to Logic in 2000 (since Steinberg doesn't support TDM), crashing has been reduced a good 90% and I haven't lost a single song to a crash, due to Logic's nice trap/save feature. I wrote my most successful songs in Cubase, so I have love for the app, but I have no idea what Steinberg's idea of quality control is. And it only got worse after they decided to support Windows.
Yeah, I tried Cubase on Windows I believe it was 3.6. It was well before the SX days. I was looking for a Pro Tools alternative but I was not impressed. I even did a couple of mixes in Nuendo 1 when it first came out. I wasn't impressed with the performance of either at the time. The reason I leaned toward Wavelab is a studio I worked at for a while used Wavelab 3 on Windows. It wasn't bad. I don't really ever remember it crashing or anything during use so it was fairly stable.
G wrote: Have you considered doing your audio manipulation inside of Logic, then just trimming and assembling the output (DDP, etc.) in one of these editors? I find having all the tracks side-by-side in a DAW makes mastering comparisons easier and faster.
Yes, this is what I may end up having to do in the short term. It just pisses me off that I purchased a product that is supposed to do these things and I can't use it the way it's intended because of poor software quality. Not to mention there are some nice analysis features in Wavelab that I would like to be able to use. Oh well. Maybe after UA releases 64bit versions of their plugins, which should happen before year's end, I'll try working with it in 64bit mode and see if there is any difference.

Honestly I'm surprised another company hasn't purchased any of the technology from BIAS and put it in a new product. I guess only time will tell.
Nathan Hamiel
Artist / Producer / Remixer
The Freq Zone
http://freqzone.com
http://www.thighpilot.com
iMac 3.4 GHz i7, Logic 9, Live 9, Wavelab 8, Apogee Symphony I/O, Rupert Neve 5059, UA Apollo Quad, Focal Solo 6be, Focal Sub 6, Access Virus TI2

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 28 Oct 2012, 16:30

thighpilot wrote:Honestly I'm surprised another company hasn't purchased any of the technology from BIAS and put it in a new product. I guess only time will tell.
As long as they don't re-use what Bias considered a UI along with it, I'd be interested in coming back to Peak as well. It was ugly, and at times irritating, but my workflow was faster than it is now.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info