Sibelius -> Rewire -> Logic

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
syntheso

Sibelius -> Rewire -> Logic

Post by syntheso » 15 Aug 2013, 17:53

I have Sibelius 6, Logic 8 and Rewire setup. What I would like to do is take my scores from Sibelius and then have them hooked into Logic. There seems to be loads of tutorials on the other way around.. ie create something in Logic -> Rewire -> Sibelius.. but I want to write my scores in Sibelius first then -> bring them into Logic and start altering the sounds in the sequencer. Does that make sense? How do I do that?

Cheers,
S

gdoubleyou

Re: Sibelius -> Rewire -> Logic

Post by gdoubleyou » 16 Aug 2013, 09:29

Logic can ONLY be a ReWire master, it can control other rewire slave apps.

The easiest method would be export your score as a standard midi file, open in Logic, assign instruments.

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo

syntheso

Post by syntheso » 17 Aug 2013, 08:03

Cheers for the info. It's a shame you can't use ReWire like that, although I have been informed elsewhere that you can sort of do what you said but it a more real time way using a virtual MIDI "cable" such as IAC: How to use Logic Pro's virtual instruments via IAC bus

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 17 Aug 2013, 09:58

Yes you can, not sure it's an advantage, if you end up mixing in Logic.

I don't know what mac you have, but I do know that Logic can eat a lot of CPU depending on the plugins used.

I don't know how much CPU Sibelious uses, can your machine handle running two AU-hosts at the same time? and how much headroom do you have before the apps start misbehaving?

If all you want in Sibelious are different sounds, invest in a basic set of synths, or sample player. The plugs will be available in both apps.

There are plenty of free plugs and demos that you can investigate from KVR http://www.kvraudio.com/

I've never considered composing in a notation centric app, mostly used them for printing parts for sessions.

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Apollo Duo

syntheso

Post by syntheso » 17 Aug 2013, 12:00

gdoubleyou wrote:Yes you can, not sure it's an advantage, if you end up mixing in Logic.

I don't know what mac you have, but I do know that Logic can eat a lot of CPU depending on the plugins used.

I don't know how much CPU Sibelious uses, can your machine handle running two AU-hosts at the same time? and how much headroom do you have before the apps start misbehaving?

If all you want in Sibelious are different sounds, invest in a basic set of synths, or sample player. The plugs will be available in both apps.

There are plenty of free plugs and demos that you can investigate from KVR http://www.kvraudio.com/

I've never considered composing in a notation centric app, mostly used them for printing parts for sessions.

8)
Yeah should be fine CPU wise.

My intention is not for the sounds. My intention is to be able to have a hook up between my Sibelius scores and audio files in Logic. In other words, I write my scores in Sibelius... the MIDI is outputted into Logic so I can playback what I have notated in Sibelius through the Logic sounds.. then drop in audio I have recorded over the top. And work back and forth. So also for example, let's say I have an audio recording of something which is in Logic and then I want to write something, notated in Sibelius, based on it. Or write a score for instruments in Sibelius and then create a soundscape in Logic. And so then be able to here what I have written and what I have recorded in both together. Does that make sense? :)

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 18 Aug 2013, 09:41

Everybody has their own workflow.

The issue I see is, Rewire doesn't allow the full functionality of both apps, I haven't attempted to use IAC since my OS9 days.

I have a little experience Soundflower and Jack.

Being an Avid product is there any advantage of using it with Pro Tools?

Companies don't really provide integration outside of their own products.

When I went 64bit, streamlined my workflow put Soundtrack Pro to rest, condensed my plugins.

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Apollo Duo

syntheso

Post by syntheso » 18 Aug 2013, 10:27

gdoubleyou wrote:Everybody has their own workflow.

The issue I see is, Rewire doesn't allow the full functionality of both apps, I haven't attempted to use IAC since my OS9 days.

I have a little experience Soundflower and Jack.

Being an Avid product is there any advantage of using it with Pro Tools?

Companies don't really provide integration outside of their own products.

When I went 64bit, streamlined my workflow put Soundtrack Pro to rest, condensed my plugins.

8)
Yeah you're right. Good point, I could use Max/related to patch this somehow for sure (will have to work out how).

I'm sure there probably is but I've never used Pro Tools. Not that I'm not open to new software, but for now this is the way I want to work.

The thing is, it's certainly possible because we're just talking about translating MIDI. I guess I'll do it in Max.

Cheers for your help.

S