[SPAM][SPAM][SPAM][SPAM][SPAM]=
Apple IIe Compu-Music CMU800r + CMU810
Roland System 100m [23 modules] + MPU101
Powerbook G4 + Live 5

oivindi

Post by oivindi » 13 Apr 2005, 02:08

There's another one at Pitchfork:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/interviews/a/autechre-05/

They're certainly a lot more talkative these days than they used to be. At least Sean. Perhaps they're trying to break into new markets? :wink:

fmass

Post by fmass » 13 Apr 2005, 02:20

"We're not using any software at the moment, which is actually quite nice -- not to have a computer on all the time."
Powerbook G4 + Live 5

oivindi

Post by oivindi » 13 Apr 2005, 03:31

Not to mention:

MOL: What about now? What styles are you listening to?

SB: I don't know, really. Mostly our own stuff.

That could very well explain why Autechre's sound hasn't changed much for the last ten years. A rather self-absorbed attitude, I say, but whatever floats your boat and all that.

parasitk

Post by parasitk » 13 Apr 2005, 06:11

oivindi wrote:Not to mention:

MOL: What about now? What styles are you listening to?

SB: I don't know, really. Mostly our own stuff.

That could very well explain why Autechre's sound hasn't changed much for the last ten years. A rather self-absorbed attitude, I say, but whatever floats your boat and all that.

Yeah every interview I've ever read with them has this attitude. Okay off to read this one - thanks for the link.

Ned Bouhalassa
Moderator & Site Supporter

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » 13 Apr 2005, 07:04

One thing to remember however is that when you earn all your dough from your music, you're always in production mode, either making sounds or composing, and, as you know, you can't listen to other people's music when you're making some yourself.
My website/blog: You Shoot I Score

fmass

Post by fmass » 13 Apr 2005, 07:08

:arrow: cant wait to check them out live tomorrow night in london ...
Powerbook G4 + Live 5

Ned Bouhalassa

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » 13 Apr 2005, 07:13

Let us know how it goes. They're coming to Montreal in a month, and I'm curious as to whether their new show rocks...

parasitk

Post by parasitk » 13 Apr 2005, 08:00

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:One thing to remember however is that when you earn all your dough from your music, you're always in production mode, either making sounds or composing, and, as you know, you can't listen to other people's music when you're making some yourself.
I've never found that. In fact I'm the opposite. I listen to tons of music when I'm writing, recording and producing. Possibly more so than when I'm not. To each their own and all that... :roll:

Ned Bouhalassa

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » 13 Apr 2005, 08:15

OK, but then explain how you can listen to someone else's music while you're in the process of making some yourself? I'm not talking about what you do when you're in between gigs, but when you're actually working on something? I guess there's always the car, the bath, the park.

I gotta get me an iPod! :P

EatMyShorts
Site Supporter

Post by EatMyShorts » 13 Apr 2005, 08:27

It can be done, especially if you are looking to rip off someone else's tune (listen to Oasis for Beatles, Gary Glitter and Slade riffs) - or some else's production if you want to sound up to date :)

Ataru

Post by Ataru » 13 Apr 2005, 08:49

oivindi wrote: That could very well explain why Autechre's sound hasn't changed much for the last ten years. A rather self-absorbed attitude, I say, but whatever floats your boat and all that.
uh... as a diehard autechre fan I'd say every album and ep they've done for the past 10 years has sounded distinctly different from each other.

edit: and that this new album makes me so happy I can't believe it. Especially the hilarious horn-breakdown that starts 3:29 into Sublimit....
Anthony Saunders: cd-r releases out now on Audiobot, Troniks, Alienation, and RSM. my homepage 1010011010

oivindi

Post by oivindi » 13 Apr 2005, 09:30

Ned Bouhalassa wrote:One thing to remember however is that when you earn all your dough from your music, you're always in production mode, either making sounds or composing, and, as you know, you can't listen to other people's music when you're making some yourself.
I very much doubt it. There are writers who write 700 pages during a year or two, yet *still* have time to read lots of books.

Autechre's attitude (or least Sean Booth's) seemed to be that there isn't that much good stuff around. I'd say that that is quite wrong, you just have to look in the right places ... :wink:

the8bitdeity
Site Supporter

Post by the8bitdeity » 13 Apr 2005, 10:07

Autechre stopped being amazing after Chiastic Slide/EP7, and went to interesting, but unmoving . I just get the impression they stopped trying.
5..4..3..1!

parasitk

Post by parasitk » 13 Apr 2005, 10:16

EatMyShorts wrote:It can be done, especially if you are looking to rip off someone else's tune (listen to Oasis for Beatles, Gary Glitter and Slade riffs) - or some else's production if you want to sound up to date :)
I suppose, but that's a pretty shitty reason. :D (I kid)
Ned Bouhalassa wrote:OK, but then explain how you can listen to someone else's music while you're in the process of making some yourself? I'm not talking about what you do when you're in between gigs, but when you're actually working on something? I guess there's always the car, the bath, the park.
Not literally at that very moment of hitting record! :P But yeah, going to bed, on the train, in the car, I don't work on music 24 hours a day - I like to listen to other stuff in between to cleanse the palette. :)

As for Autechre I agree that their sound has evolved and changed very much over the years, and that they are also very into themselves. They definitely have not kept their ego's in check. :P But they make cool music, when I'm in the mood for it...