Autechre's Sean Booth interview ....

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
fmass

Post by fmass » 18 Apr 2005, 00:50

:arrow: "i've only seen them once but it was too loud that night"

Are you too cool to like or dislike an event if it was too loud ? I'll go see autechre regardless of what the PA volume is like. Loud .. Silent .. whatever.. are you too cool to be seen around some strong decibels? besides.. i'm sure the crowd is different in every city...especially if the venue is near a train station (SE1 is underneath London Bridge Rail Station)
[SPAM][SPAM][SPAM][SPAM][SPAM]=
Apple IIe Compu-Music CMU800r + CMU810
Roland System 100m [23 modules] + MPU101
Powerbook G4 + Live 5

Post by 27 » 18 Apr 2005, 00:59

oh jesus- i wasn't complaining about the volume.. but its what everyone says.. "it was sooo loud" it's like the first thing out of anyone's mouth.. ecxept yours funnily enough

i dont care where se1 is or if trains were running thru the middle of the venue.. my point was just that every venuw is different.. evey show a bit different..

this just sounds silly to me:

"Teen-pop crowd ---> time to say good bye to AE."

maybe you're right.. if they dont seriously wow me i'm bailing on them for good.. no second chances! and if the crowd is at all teeny or tiny or not of the utmost chin scratching hipster doofus variety there'll be hell to pay!! :wink:

and they both better be playing live.. triggering samples from V-drum kits!

lambda

Post by lambda » 18 Apr 2005, 03:05

I have very sensitive ears. I can't even go to a movie theater without earplugs and enjoy myself. This really limits the live music events I can attend. :?

yenorom
Site Supporter

Post by yenorom » 18 Apr 2005, 03:52

fmass wrote:London Friday 15th April 12:00AM

As expected they played totally in the dark, DJ-mixing files on stage.
PA sound was not AE friendly therefore not the best of outcomes.
Teen-pop crowd ---> time to say good bye to AE.
Complete bollocks about dj-mixing files. They had a MachineDrum and a MonoMachine on stage and I didn't see a computer, they played live.

They sound was great on the Glasgow show.

fmass

Post by fmass » 18 Apr 2005, 04:28

as long as u are happy ....
Powerbook G4 + Live 5

Post by 27 » 18 Apr 2005, 23:51

fmass wrote:as long as u are happy ....
i'm listening to a bootleg mp3 of the SE1 show and it sounds great to my ears. not that that's any indication of the PA's AE friendliness but the MP3 jams and the tracks are killer. it's only a 10min mp3 though..

http://www.no-future.com/vbulletin/show ... adid=13788

franjipane
Site Supporter

Post by franjipane » 19 Apr 2005, 06:11

They sound was great on the Glasgow show.
Glasgow's art school venue has a great sound system, great crowd when i was there last year as well :D
mbp 2.33, logic pro 7.2.3 & 2 cats

Ataru

Post by Ataru » 19 Apr 2005, 06:45

good god that mp3 is rad for a live performance. they really know their shit.
Anthony Saunders: cd-r releases out now on Audiobot, Troniks, Alienation, and RSM. my homepage 1010011010

Post by 27 » 19 Apr 2005, 17:14

Ataru wrote:good god that mp3 is rad for a live performance. they really know their shit.
they're playing portland may 19th- i can't wait. should be fun. i like the new record a lot.

fmass

Post by fmass » 09 May 2005, 03:48

so .... any news from the autechre USofA tour ?
Powerbook G4 + Live 5

gearslut

Post by gearslut » 16 May 2005, 22:59

i saw them in t-dot last week at the opera house.
no lights onstage. two PA monitors pointed back at them and semi obscuring the view from the audience perspective. they definately were not DJing. i thought the show was pretty decent. i was p!ssed at the guy doing FOH tho'. autechre had two channels coming from a laptop at the FOH mix position. about a third of the way thru their almost two hour set they started to generate some SERIOUS low end. evrything was fine. nothing was overloading. but the FOH mixer tweaked the lows down a few dB. the autechre lacky at the laptop began making motions to the FOH guy, pointing to the RTA and indicating that all was kosher to which point the FOH guy shrugged his shoulders. the autechre lacky then adjusted whatever on the laptop and a bit of the subsonics came back. this went back and forth several times. in the end it sounded rather emasculated. too bad.
after their nearly two hour set, they walked offstage to bewilderment of the audience that wondered where the music went. needless to say, there was no encore.
i'd give the show 3 1/2 stars.
i did scoop the new album but i have to confess that i haven't listened to it all that much. but i have been totally mesmerised by the new venetian snares album "Rossz Csillag Alatt Született". thank gawd for cut and paste.

tyson

Post by tyson » 29 May 2005, 20:14

okay, I saw Autechre in Asheville, NC last night. Since I asked for feedback I'll try to give some myself. I have not familiar enough with their music to do a review of the show, but here are my impressions:

1) much more dance-like and inside than I thought it would be. There were very few places where there was not a discernable beat and bass-line. I was even bothered by this at first.

2) it slowly started to get more complicated. each tune would start developing, getting thicker and turning the rhythms inside out. the complexity would sneak up on you. that approach was brilliant becuase it got people dancing and then they stuck with it no matter how complex it got.

3) the only track that I recognized was LCC from the new record

4) it's amazing how different the music sounded with my eyes closed. I was much more perceptive of what was going on without watching them

5) sadly, I couldn't see a thing they were doing. I even went to the side of the stage to try to peek behind them with no luck. pushing buttons and turning knobs in the dark is all I could make out.

6) definitely worth the 3.5 hour drive. I feel like I understand the music better now. it sounds so much better through a good sound system.

I'd love to hear anyone else's impressions that was at the show...

Phosphene

nyc show

Post by Phosphene » 29 May 2005, 21:10

sick.. very good. SND.. i cant get into them .. they sounded like a no talent hack of AE to me. bad sequenceing and poor sampling. AE used machinedrums and external effects no labtops at all. the show was great. much funkyer than the older stuff they have put out.. totally diffrent than anything they have ever put out. sick sound system. cant wait to hear what they do next.
-c
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml

pangmaster
Site Supporter

Post by pangmaster » 02 Jun 2005, 09:41

27 wrote:they're playing portland may 19th- i can't wait. should be fun. i like the new record a lot.
How was that show anyway? My girlfriend was in Portland and went to that show, but she's not a huge Ae fan like I am so when she says it was good I don't really know what that means. I'm bummed that I couldn't be there for it, but I did get a t-shirt out of it! :)
"To be human, to be fully human, is to need music and to derive nourishment from the music you hear." - Bob Moog

gearslut

Post by gearslut » 02 Jun 2005, 10:11

pangmaster wrote:but I did get a t-shirt out of it! :)
which one did U get, the black on black (coolest IMO) or the grey on black?