your local music scene...

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
ndstephens
Site Supporter

your local music scene...

Post by ndstephens » 02 Feb 2003, 23:32

hey all. trying to jump start the new forums. i had asked this question some time ago, but there wasn't really a place to put it. but we started up these new forums so here goes:

From looking through the forums you can see that there are people here from around the world, all collaborating together. A lot of the people are naturally from major cities it seems, probably partly b/c music scenes are more prolific in these cities. I'm currently in San Francisco and would like to know what others feel about the happenings in their city and worldwide. You're sure as hell not going to find the most progressive music on FM radio, it's more in the clubs and parties and people's backyards.

While there is plenty going on in SF, and there are new faces changing things up now and then, it still doesn't feel on an upward climb at the moment. Again, not that things are bad, but we do seem to be on a plateau here. Several of my friends have started new weekly and monthly events in the city and east bay. They're very good, and for being so new quite successful. I'm hopeful and so are they, but i don't know what "new" is going on. "New" as in the use of computers and hardware for live performances...more than just 2 turntables. If anyone from the city has suggestions please let me know. i'm sure a lot of this is due to once again the police deciding to come down on dance or electronic music scenes b/c some poor fool decided to overdo it on ecstacy like two years ago.

I'd like to know where more than just 2 decks are being spun, or at least putting out a different vibe. I personally don't know of anyone here using laptops and software on a larger scale. I've seen and heard some people using Live at warehouse type parties, but the music they're putting out sounds exactly like what two decks are doing across town. looks different, sounds the same. it's a different medium of music production, let a different sound radiate out of it.

Listen, i'm not writing this to just bitch. I go out and have a good time here most of the time. And i'm not demanding things radically progress every week. I'm just trying to start some conversation to hear what others think of the scene in the Bay Area if they live here and whatever other city anyone lives in or frequents.

nate.
Last edited by ndstephens on 03 Feb 2003, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

Mulberry

Well okay

Post by Mulberry » 02 Feb 2003, 23:44

I've seen TURNER (an artist from Germany...) who was rocking the stage with his Laptop, and a videobeamer - where he beamed his self on the stage right beside the real-himself *gg* so there was one Turner hitting the Laptop and singing and a fakeTurner playing guitar and Midikeyboards *lol* was awesome

Mulberry

Phosphene

Record Camp

Post by Phosphene » 04 Mar 2003, 10:21

Check out recordcamp.com. This is the local thing happenen around me. i and a few others have played there. great scean good vibes and great IDM or what ever you whant to call good electronic music.
Peace
PH
Last edited by Phosphene on 04 Mar 2003, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml

nostatic
Site Supporter

Post by nostatic » 04 Mar 2003, 10:44

I'm in LA. Not a damn thing happening here. We are going to do a short tour of Japan though...

Phosphene

realy...

Post by Phosphene » 04 Mar 2003, 11:10

Surprised LA has nothing going on.
recordcamp is doing a small tour as well over in japan in mid summer.
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml

Lunarsound

Post by Lunarsound » 25 Mar 2003, 09:03

This isn't really geared toward "elec.music" but nonetheless,
it's the "scene" where i'm at

www.gulfcoastmusicscene.com
I'm a mod going by SONICMAINLINE

just a fun site for the locals, and trying to branch out to texas/s.florida

warpmaster

Post by warpmaster » 25 Mar 2003, 10:20

we are going to do monthly concerts in amsterdam, starting april 8, using 3 laptops, samplers, as wellas regular instruments.
watch these forums for more info, we are going to need your musical support

dokushoka

Post by dokushoka » 25 Mar 2003, 11:14

there is a group around here called cat-5 that do almost all their shit on laptops. Its boring though =P

In a couple months my band will hopefully start gigging around the city. You'll have to come see us. Lots of electronic stuff but still with guitars and strings and the likes. Its really quite odd =P