Which top producers/engineers use logic?

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
Scking

Post by Scking » 13 Jun 2005, 17:26

Logic is decidedly NOT "crippled" in the audio department. I use it to record acoustic drums, acoustic and electric guitars, vocals, etc. and have never had a problem with its recording or editing or of audio. Ever since Space Designer came out I haven't even opened Pro Tools.

So I'm curious as well--what is missing in Logic's audio editing facilities (something that I would actually need)?

Scking

Post by Scking » 15 Jun 2005, 13:58

No response?

quicksand

Post by quicksand » 15 Jun 2005, 14:31

Among others:

Beat Detective
Tab To Transient
Drawing the Wave with the Pencil Tool - great for clicks and pops
100% Sample Accurate in the timeline
Audio engine - look at the top producers/engineers who use Logic - what soundcard do they use (I bet most of them use TDM).

Don't get me wrong - Logic is a great tool but it does lack some of ProTools' superior audio features.

As for ProTools MIDI, well thanks a different thread altogether... :D

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » 15 Jun 2005, 22:51

quicksand wrote:Logic is a great tool but it does lack some of ProTools' superior audio features.
Let's have a look at those...

"Beat Detective"

Would be nice. I hope to see something like it in a future version of Logic. Ideally the *next* version. Logic's ancient audio quantization feature sucks pretty bad. Hardly a "crippling" omission, though.

"Tab To Transient"

What's that?

"Drawing the Wave with the Pencil Tool - great for clicks and pops"

Logic has had that for years.

"100% Sample Accurate in the timeline"

So is Logic. Even though you can only move regions in ticks, it's 100% sample accurate. Note the difference between accuracy and editing resolution. I do understand what you meant though.

"Audio engine - look at the top producers/engineers who use Logic - what soundcard do they use (I bet most of them use TDM)."

Not a feature. ;)
MacBook Pro (15" unibody, late 2008), OS X 10.5.6, Logic 8.0.2, Reason 4.0.1

Gimani

Post by Gimani » 16 Jun 2005, 00:49

Stormchild wrote:"Tab To Transient"

What's that?
If I remember (back in my ProTools LE days), "Tab To Transient" allows you to to move directly from a transient to another. Maybe an example explain it better: if you have a drum beat, then you can move from the kick to the following snare and then again to the next zero crossing point closest to a peak. That way you can chop it up. I think the "Strip Silence" function can do the same job in Logic.

Hope you get my poor english.

Ciao

G

baze
Site Supporter

Post by baze » 16 Jun 2005, 10:24

the tab to transient is a great freature in PT, but that does not mean logics audio is crippled.

pbass

logic pro use

Post by pbass » 18 Jun 2005, 15:29

I compose/produce/remix for a living--everything from commercials to interactive to other artists(and my own) records with as much audio recording as midi work, and I work solely in Logic, as do many of my friends/collaborators. I've yet to run into an audio editing corner that I couldn't handle in Logic. I also do bass sessions and end up in some of the big LA studios which are of course all ProTools(and tape). From talking to people about it I think the ProTools vs. Logic prejudice some folks have regarding "pro" work is largely based on just going for the status quo, and what a pro studio is "supposed" to have, as opposed to any real shortcomings in Logic.

Josh Mobley

Post by Josh Mobley » 18 Jun 2005, 15:55

Does logic have anything like beat detective? It's the auto tune for drums

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » 18 Jun 2005, 17:03

Josh Mobley wrote:Does logic have anything like beat detective? It's the auto tune for drums
Logic has an audio quantization feature, but it's so crappy I wouldn't touch it. It's a really old feature that's been lurking around in the sample editor for quite a few years.

Yes, Beat Detective is great. Digital Performer has pretty good audio quantization now, but it requires a great deal more work than Beat Detective (you have to go in and analyze/tweak the transients), and must be applied to each audio clip, one at a time, whereas BD can work on multiple tracks at once.

Josh Mobley

Post by Josh Mobley » 18 Jun 2005, 17:22

yeah, unfortunately, until someone comes up with something that can compete with the things beat detective can do, there really is no contest.

Stormchild wrote:
Josh Mobley wrote:Does logic have anything like beat detective? It's the auto tune for drums
Logic has an audio quantization feature, but it's so crappy I wouldn't touch it. It's a really old feature that's been lurking around in the sample editor for quite a few years.

Yes, Beat Detective is great. Digital Performer has pretty good audio quantization now, but it requires a great deal more work than Beat Detective (you have to go in and analyze/tweak the transients), and must be applied to each audio clip, one at a time, whereas BD can work on multiple tracks at once.

Phosphene

who cares...

Post by Phosphene » 18 Jun 2005, 18:17

i dont want to sound rude.. maybe i am going to ..but dont take this in the wrong way.. who fing cares who uses what. i get asked this question sooooo many times... it like a broken record.. pro-tools yeah you guys got us logic users by a mile with some audio fetures ect plugs.. but.. i have to say some of the top musicans i know dont use logic or pro-tools.. as far as producers.. well i can say this.. i worked over at a very big studio and still do.. we use whatever the job calls for.. if i am writeing midi.. logic and rewire reason.. audio.. then its pro-tools.. whatever your work flow is. thats what you will see being used. logic is great for mapping video.. so is pro-tools.. i like logic waaaaaaay better than pro-tools for creating things. but for mastering.. i have to open up the old bomb factory plugs and pro-tools .. but i will say this the UAD-1 is one bad ass baby to have.. and definitly ranks up to the bomb factorys stuf any day.. . logic rocks it hard with that suite. anyhow i cant talk about this anymore.. .. enjoy..
-c
Monkatronlogicalreasonal pro 90000.1.1.2.2.1 its the best app evverr!!!version 10000000 is in beta stages
http://www.percussionlab.com/Sets/calmershow.shtml

HeadPhoneNation.com

Post by HeadPhoneNation.com » 18 Jun 2005, 18:49

tencentcat wrote:Thievery Corporation uses Logic.
wow!, I LOVE TC...I just googled and didn't find much, do you have any links to interviews where they talk about their production and such?

Stormchild

Post by Stormchild » 18 Jun 2005, 19:15

Josh Mobley wrote:yeah, unfortunately, until someone comes up with something that can compete with the things beat detective can do, there really is no contest.
If you need it, yeah. Anyone recording real drums, especially with multiple mics, will definitely want to use Beat Detective.

I program all my drums, myself, so I've no use for it. It doesn't even come into the picture when comparing the two for my purposes.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » 18 Jun 2005, 19:29

There are "some" good albums with live drums that definetely didn't use Beat Detective...back when drummers were not beat defective :wink:

Megl

Post by Megl » 19 Jun 2005, 03:03

Josh Mobley wrote:Does logic have anything like beat detective?
Apple Loops perhaps?