Hurry up Logic (Apple)......

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
frugalpole

Post by frugalpole » 21 Nov 2005, 09:24

i keep wanting to wait. but since june of 05 i keep feeling like logic is that girl i should have broke up w/... or never gone out w/.

i should have just stayed digi's. she is a very demanding woman, but at least i know what i am getting (most of the time).

:)
mbp :: metric halo uln-2 :: live6 :: komplete4
danlukas.com

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » 21 Nov 2005, 12:28

My boy said it best - it's just a matter of how your brain works

My brain can't get the Logic thing, I try and try some more every couple weeks / months

and then boom

I open Live, record some loops in from Vinyl, arrange some drums via midi, rewire some reason action and Viola I'm on my way in like 5 to 10 minutes

Now I have ADD so my attention span can't deal with setting up environments, stopping to bounce a track down and searching for key commands that don't exist

I do know a lot of big wigs in the Dance Music world make beats ala Logic so I'm not saying it's a weak program by no means NO!

It's just not very user friendly, or inspiring in the 2005 - and apples support sucks ass. $199 a call for support (...because it's a pro application they say)

Pro-Tools is about as PRO as you get and charge $0.00 for phone support

Apple should stick to making desktops, laptops and Ipods and step to the side of music production and give it back to the Germans!

late

ad

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » 21 Nov 2005, 12:32

If we're only talking audio region editing, then I feel that there's not that much difference, EXCEPT warping. Both are non-destructive, rely on envelopes for any effects application and both have to be either bounced or re-sampled (Live's terms) for a destructive edit.

If we're talking arranging, Logic is better for me. Then again, I've been told I'm a Live hater! ;) Not true, I just don't feel 'groovy' using it.

As for MIDI, when I was coming of age in production, hardware was on it's way out to the point it is today. Simply put, I could not afford it. I've become dependent on the flexibility offered by software! Probably not good to be too reliant on one or the other, but....
Disclaimer: I know kung fu.

LennieJ
Site Supporter

Post by LennieJ » 21 Nov 2005, 15:35

recumbent wrote:
funkyappledog wrote:Too right lennie j .I use heaps of outboard and mtc midi thats sits real tight ,i love it
Whats your secret? I can't get anything out of EXTERNAL MIDI that I don't have to recycle to get in time. I can be pretty demanding but that seems unacceptable to me.

Using 10.4.3 AMT 8, 7.1.1 and I tried the MIDI on the 828mkII and that too was whack. DP seems a lot tighter but I don't really have 3 months to learn the workflow.
Theres no secret. I haven't touched my midi setup since Logic Plat 4.0.
I have become pretty familiar with my motu clockworks console though & as far as I remember the only 2 non default settings I ever tinkered with to get solid timing were 'active sensing' & 'realtime" mutes from devce to device.

I know it's very hard to believe that others have solid midi when your system doesn't.
Unfortunatly it's kinda hard to demonstrate over the net. Just gonna have to take my word for it I guess. :P
MacPro 2x3 dual core 26GB ram, 30 terabytes eSata hard drive storage, MetricHalo audio interfaces,
BlueSky 5.1 monitoring & some quality outboard Mic Pres & signal processors.

frugalpole

Post by frugalpole » 21 Nov 2005, 20:44

buddhabelly wrote:both have to be either bounced or re-sampled (Live's terms) for a destructive edit.
not completely true a simple apple-J performs a consolidate on a given piece of audio (clip), and any changes made under in the clips is taken into account and rendered destructively. i love this. this in combination w/ freezed (i don't own 5 yet...) sound promising to me!

i'm getting ready to jump off the cupertino bus.
danlukas.com

cesjr

A major overhaul of Logic is a near certainty

Post by cesjr » 22 Nov 2005, 11:42

It was reported back when Apple bought Emagic that Steve Jobs was horrified by the UI of Logic.

Remember this is a guy who obsessed over the design of the calculator desk accessory for the original mac. See --

http://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?pr ... on_Set.txt

Look at what they did with FCP, Soundtrack and just recently Aperture (remarkable RAW workflow for pro photographers).

That last one was being baked in the Apple oven for quite a while, I'm sure. Pro photographers were consulted (just as it's been rumoured that sound guys have seen some Logic replacement).

The naysayers and doubters can say all they want. Logic is below Apple UI standards. Way below. It's being reworked, completely. No f**ing way it's not.

funkyappledog

Post by funkyappledog » 22 Nov 2005, 17:59

Hey fruglpole,
slightly on off topic but do you adjust zoom way out or change time sig to 8 or16/4 on the arrange window to get the grid to have more editing points it is super quantising man .logic is supreme for timing
8)

oink
Forum Guru

Re: A major overhaul of Logic is a near certainty

Post by oink » 22 Nov 2005, 19:21

cesjr wrote: The naysayers and doubters can say all they want. Logic is below Apple UI standards. Way below.
A lot of the UI 'standards' that are fine for other apps just don't suit an app like Logic.
Apple probably have consulted with Audio professionals and been told to leave it alone in a lot of areas.
Regarding the rate of progress. I don't think Logic is being developed any slower than other apps, especially considering it has been re-written from the ground up for Logic 7.
I would be happy, and many others too, if they'd just concentrate on completing the rewrite (fine tuning and fixing all the little features from before which haven't been properly implemented yet.) and forget about new features for a while.

frugalpole

Post by frugalpole » 22 Nov 2005, 19:56

oink wrote:especially considering it has been re-written from the ground up for Logic 7.
woah!? it has?
danlukas.com

frugalpole

Post by frugalpole » 22 Nov 2005, 20:06

funkyappledog wrote:Hey fruglpole,
slightly on off topic but do you adjust zoom way out or change time sig to 8 or16/4 on the arrange window to get the grid to have more editing points it is super quantising man .logic is supreme for timing
8)
explain? cause when i zoom all that is shown is still quarter notes.

the time signature work around seems work able. but geeze... i hate work arounds.
danlukas.com

funkyappledog

Post by funkyappledog » 22 Nov 2005, 20:28

frugalpole its not a workaround its deeper editing (layer) for people who want and need it ,and since screen real estate is easily used up its sort of hidden in there.Sometimes i take a loose drummers great live snare and bass drum from his performance snip it and grid it this way . It can be time consuming but they do go wow.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 22 Nov 2005, 23:28

oink wrote: I would be happy, and many others too, if they'd just concentrate on completing the rewrite (fine tuning and fixing all the little features from before which haven't been properly implemented yet.) and forget about new features for a while.
Seconded! :)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

frugalpole

Post by frugalpole » 22 Nov 2005, 23:55

funkyappledog wrote:frugalpole its not a workaround its deeper editing (layer) for people who want and need it ,and since screen real estate is easily used up its sort of hidden in there.Sometimes i take a loose drummers great live snare and bass drum from his performance snip it and grid it this way . It can be time consuming but they do go wow.
are you telling me that changing the time sig of the song to obtain more precise arrange editing instead of accomplishing this through zooming is not a work around?

cause if that is what you are saying... i completely disagree. on principal i should have to mess w/ my time signature to accomplish anything other than changes in the time in the song. other than that, that bad boy should stay put.

or if you are saying something else, please let me know so i can understand.
danlukas.com

sagarssd

Post by sagarssd » 23 Nov 2005, 11:22

michael wrote:
oink wrote: I would be happy, and many others too, if they'd just concentrate on completing the rewrite (fine tuning and fixing all the little features from before which haven't been properly implemented yet.) and forget about new features for a while.
Seconded! :)
Thirded!!! Steve Jobs should realize hes in over his head with logic and give it back to the germans.

About the bit about logic 7 being rewritten from the ground up...I DOUBT IT. logic 7 is a shiny american skin over an oppressed german beast. no political statement of course. if logic is to be really updated, it needs to be rewritten in 64bits. and i suspect only the original programmers can do this. will apple get around to fixing logic at all before the macintel logic 8 comes out? I DOUBT IT. damn.

putte

Post by putte » 23 Nov 2005, 11:49

.. and i just find myself in having no real oppinion at all anymore.
throughout all the frustration i reached the point that i try to live with what i have, and thats Logic 7. i reached the point to accept the crashes .. thats it.
i cant even participate in Logic threads anymore .. (at least way less then i used to).

topmodern? who said that? .. :D

putte