Sculpture sounds not playing correctly in Logic Pro 9 - Bug

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
WaveTable

Sculpture sounds not playing correctly in Logic Pro 9 - Bug

Post by WaveTable » 11 Aug 2009, 04:01

I am finding that some Sculpture sounds do not seem to play correctly in Logic Pro 9. Meester Smeeth has mentioned this in a couple of posts, so I know it is not just me!

Please could someone confirm this. To reproduce the problem try the following in Logic Pro 8 then Logic Pro 9:

In LP8, insert a Sculpture instance into an instrument channel and select the factory preset Bamboo Air Strings from the folder Modeled Pads. Play the sound and notice how the sound sustains after the keyboard is released.

Now repeat this in LP9, notice that the sound does not sustain after the keys are released in the way it does in LP8 and does not have the same pleasant qualities as it did in LP8.

However when I saved the project to produce the files attached it then started playing slightly better with some sustain once the keys are released but still nothing like it does in LP8. Weird. The inconsistent behavior makes it harder to reproduce.

I have attached two MP3 files and the LP project. if you load the LP project in LP8 and LP9 you should be able to hear the difference!

[MP3]
Bamboo_Air_Stings_LP8.mp3
[/MP3]
[MP3]
Bamboo_Air_Stings_LP9.mp3
[/MP3]

I hope they fix this because it makes it very difficult to work with tracks produced in LP8 that used Sculpture, particularly as LP8 did not have in place bounce, which would have provided a useful work around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by WaveTable on 14 Aug 2009, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.

Meester Smeeth

Re: Sculpture sounds not playing correctly in Logic Pro 9 - Bug

Post by Meester Smeeth » 11 Aug 2009, 05:16

WaveTable wrote:Meester Smeeth has mentioned this in a couple of posts, so I know it is not just me!
I did indeed.

Here are my examples:

Here it is in LP8, playing back as it should
Bells_LP8.mp3
And here's how LP9 plays back the exact same sequence:
Bells_LP9.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Band : Burnt Earth:
http://www.myspace.com/burntearthuk
Random Meester Smeeeth noodling with too much vocoder:
http://www.myspace.com/meestersmeeeth

Meester Smeeth

Post by Meester Smeeth » 14 Aug 2009, 08:53

After just reproducing the same differences between LP8 and 9 after installing LP9 on a brand new MacBook Pro 2.66GHz straight out of the box, I'm surprised more people aren't reporting Sculpture issues.

LP9 doesn't play back Sculpture patches identically to LP8. In some cases the differences are huge, rendering them unusable. The only recourse is to bounce the track in LP8 and import the audio into LP9, which is far from fun.
My Band : Burnt Earth:
http://www.myspace.com/burntearthuk
Random Meester Smeeeth noodling with too much vocoder:
http://www.myspace.com/meestersmeeeth

WaveTable

Post by WaveTable » 23 Sep 2009, 02:34

This is not fixed in Logic Pro 9.01. Very disappointing.

The nature of the problem may have changed slightly, in as much as reloading the patch, "Bamboo Air Strings", in Sculpture caused it to play correctly in my Logic Pro track that I created to demonstrate the problem. However when I save it and reload it the issue is still there.

In addition if you then try playing the preset "Bamboo Air Strings" below the G2 (the G below middle C where middle C = C3) in Logic Pro 9.01 and then in Logic Pro 8 they sound totally different.

I am really surprised that this has not been fixed. What is the use of having superb software instruments like Sculpture if they break between versions!
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.

Ed A.

Post by Ed A. » 23 Sep 2009, 11:57

You mean "Bamboo Air Stings" not "Bamboo Air Strings", right? :wink:

I left feedback about the problem a couple months ago, and I also just called Apple about it a few minutes ago. The tech replicated the problem and said he will escalate this case to the engineers. He definitely noticed it.

WaveTable

Post by WaveTable » 23 Sep 2009, 14:15

Ed A. wrote:You mean "Bamboo Air Stings" not "Bamboo Air Strings", right? :wink:
Thanks Ed A. that's very helpful.

I think I've got strings on the brain!
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.

WaveTable

Post by WaveTable » 13 Oct 2009, 03:43

This issue appears to have been fixed in the 9.02 update.
:)
Logic Pro 9, Live 8.

Ed A.

Re: Sculpture sounds not playing correctly in Logic Pro 9 -

Post by Ed A. » 25 Mar 2011, 14:12

The latest version of Logic is 9.1.3.

Angelina44

Re: Sculpture sounds not playing correctly in Logic Pro 9 -

Post by Angelina44 » 24 Aug 2013, 04:39

9.1.8 version is great according to me..
I didn't have any issue related to Sculpture.
Angelina