Is Apple Killing Logic?

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
jsepeta
Site Supporter
Twitter: jsepeta

Is Apple Killing Logic?

Post by jsepeta » 06 Dec 2012, 12:06

I read a distressing post yesterday.
http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=CA3A7E ... 4A3D1731C2

We haven't seen a new version of Logic since 2009, and since then, Sonar & Cubase & ProTools have had 3 or 4 upgrades each. If Apple is ditching their focus on professional users, as demonstrated by the lack of a Mac Pro running the latest generation of Xeon processor, then music professionals need to know sooner rather than later, so we can plan our migration path. The most current Mac Pro release uses a chip from 2010, and an older model video card as well.

Since Apple dumped SoundDiver without explanation, I've been without one of my most important tools; it still works on XP (Thanks, Emagic) but is broken due to the 10.6/10.7 elimination of PowerPC code & Rosetta emulation.
Check out my blog:
http://www.vintage-synth.com

Need manuals or sounds for your old synth? I also have EXS24 sample packs.
http://www.vintage-synths.com

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Re: Is Apple Killing Logic?

Post by G » 06 Dec 2012, 18:01

"Pro Tools Expert sources claim..." :whistle:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/11/27/a ... udio-team/
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

jsepeta
Site Supporter

Post by jsepeta » 07 Dec 2012, 08:36

And yet nobody can refute the fact that Apple places more effort towards consumer devices than towards providing the most powerful hardware for creative professionals. Apple once led the market with innovative new hardware. Now they think an iMac is a good replacement for the Mac Pro -- but it clearly isn't, owing to the fact that there are no user serviceable parts or expansion slots or bays. This year's Mac Pro update includes parts one wouldn't even consider for a Windows workstation due to their age. Nobody questions Tim Cook on this, but they should. It wouldn't take many design resources to update the Mac Pro in a meaningful way, but still Apple chose not to do so.
Check out my blog:

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 07 Dec 2012, 17:00

jsepeta wrote:And yet nobody can refute the fact that Apple places more effort towards consumer devices than towards providing the most powerful hardware for creative professionals.

And this has made them extremely successful. Even if we "truck drivers" aren't priority number one, 15 years ago I thought the Power Computing clone I was buying might be my last Mac.

I prefer things now.
jsepeta wrote:Apple once led the market with innovative new hardware. Now they think an iMac is a good replacement for the Mac Pro
No, they don't. (See below.)
jsepeta wrote: -- but it clearly isn't, owing to the fact that there are no user serviceable parts or expansion slots or bays. This year's Mac Pro update includes parts one wouldn't even consider for a Windows workstation due to their age. Nobody questions Tim Cook on this, but they should. It wouldn't take many design resources to update the Mac Pro in a meaningful way, but still Apple chose not to do so.
Someone already did question Tim Cook. Next year.

Now, it turns out they may be tooling up to build the next Mac Pro here in the USA.

(Maybe right here in my hometown of Fremont, CA).

I can't think of an Apple product I'd rather own, if so.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

jsepeta
Site Supporter

Post by jsepeta » 08 Dec 2012, 09:52

I hope Tim Cook is being forthright. There are so many ways for Apple to get it wrong -- a case users can't open, no optical drives, only space for one hard drive -- and only one way to get it right -- to make it as flexible as the existing model.
Check out my blog:

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 08 Dec 2012, 13:30

So do I.

My 2008 Mac Pro is still rocking Logic with power to spare, and no other troubles (knock wood), but a friend's 2006 Pro is failing and he's holding out as long as he can, trying not to spend $1k on a useable Mac mini or $2.4k on a useable MBP or iMac. "Useable" meaning "good enough that it may not need upgrading soon" and "is not a downgrade in some way."

If I think about it, I don't open up my Mac Pro anywhere near as often as I used to, one new HDD can hold as much as all 4 of my drives (not to mention the speed of SSD or Fusion Drive), and 16 GB of new fast RAM costs less than 4 GB of my old slow RAM. The latest "consumer" machines will be astoundingly powerful for many in audio production. But still, who wouldn't love to see a totally new Mac Pro design that is fully configurable? Once a truck driver, always a truck driver.

—Truck Driver

Esquilax

Post by Esquilax » 08 Dec 2012, 15:44

The reality of where most of Apple's profits come from these days doesn't look like a good sign. I often imagine some dedicated old-school member of the Logic team showing up at Apple board meetings screaming about how all of their potential new customer base is being snatched away to Ableton while half of their existing, fiercely dedicated Logic fans steadily fall away after years of no support and some suit interrupts with "So, how is this helping iPad app development again? I'm confused."

"The kids" today are all starting with Ableton for electronic stuff. Most professional studios use Protools and Cubase 7 seems to be aiming a lot more of their focus on actual recording studios as well. The decision to slash the price of Logic and move it to the app store seemed like an odd acknowledgement that they know Logic's customer base is a very small, fanatically devoted one that isn't going to regain much market share. Many of my electronic musicians are fiercely loyal to Logic mostly because of a handful of signature plugins can't quite be replicated by all the other 3rd party VST stuff. As much as I would love for Logic X to come out and blow us away, I don't have much hope, and at this point I kind of wish they would just kill it and finally release the ES2 and other proprietary soft-synths as standalone for-sale VST plugins like everyone that uses every other DAW has been wishing for since... well, the last 15 years.

G, if your friend doesn't want to wait, he could follow one of the many guides out on the net and just build a Hackintosh! Mountain Lion support for Ivy Bridge hardware has made it remarkably doable. I am typing this message on a flawlessly functioning OSX installation running on a 3770k i7 "PC" system with dual Thunderbolt ports, a modern "gamer" video card and a plethora of other specs that easily surpass the "next generation" iMac that hasn't even been released yet, and it cost me less than $900... just saying. :wink:

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 09 Dec 2012, 19:30

I trust that your Hackintosh is working perfectly, but I'm not interested in that route myself. I like to know that upgrades won't break my rig, crashes have a solve-able cause, and I spend more time on creating than building. But to each, his own.

You bring up a good point, however. This is all the more reason Apple needs to get its act together. They are fundamentally a hardware company, which is why FCP and Logic are so inexpensive now. The pro software is designed to drive (higher-end) Mac sales. And if a Hackintosh is a true no-brainer alternative for very long, that's a complete marketing failure.

My one bit of solace is that I know many "truck driver" Apple employees. Even though the butter for their bread is coming from consumer products, those products and the software they run are still made on trucks.

groundhum
Site Supporter

Post by groundhum » 10 Dec 2012, 06:54

G wrote:Once a truck driver, always a truck driver.
10-4
Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the ass. —FZ
extraneous data

EK

Post by EK » 10 Dec 2012, 08:55

Esquilax

Post by Esquilax » 10 Dec 2012, 20:22

Yeah, just like all the other stuff we keep seeing... unavailable books, half-obscured screenshots in the background of Apogee's Quartet promo photos, vague assurances from Apple.... Zero actual information.

G wrote:I trust that your Hackintosh is working perfectly, but I'm not interested in that route myself. I like to know that upgrades won't break my rig, crashes have a solve-able cause, and I spend more time on creating than building. But to each, his own.

You bring up a good point, however. This is all the more reason Apple needs to get its act together. They are fundamentally a hardware company, which is why FCP and Logic are so inexpensive now. The pro software is designed to drive (higher-end) Mac sales. And if a Hackintosh is a true no-brainer alternative for very long, that's a complete marketing failure.
Yeah it's definitely not for everyone, but doing a meaningful hardware upgrade from my i7 Mac Mini without being forced to buy another Cinema display (I already had one) wasn't even possible unless I wanted spend $3000 on a Mac Pro... and in doing so, downgrade to USB2 and a lack of Thunderbolt!

Post by 27 » 12 Dec 2012, 12:58

EK wrote:Logic Pro 10 book is coming:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesw ... 0/8804149/
hilarious

Published
20/03/2012

Viper

Post by Viper » 14 Dec 2012, 22:41

I'm glad Apple hasn't come out with any significant updates to Logic. I'd rather they correct the bugs than add new features and be buggy. The number 1 reason I use Logic over other DAWs is Logic's reputation for not crashing so much like most other DAWs do... I wanna spend more time creating and less time worrying about the last time I saved my file! :D
Quad 2.66 GHz Mac Pro 9GB RAM; MacMini 2GHz 4GB RAM Mac OS 10.6.8 + 10.7.5; Logic Pro 9.1.8, Pro Tools 10, Lynx AES16, Unitor 8MkII, Mytek Stereo96 ADC and DAC.

Angelina44

Post by Angelina44 » 24 Aug 2013, 04:35

Seems to me the latest versions of OSX are doing a pretty good job of killing off Logic.
Already updated same answer from me... Its duplicate post.. Repeated many times..
Angelina