Logic Pro X additional content download?

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
Slovenec

Logic Pro X additional content download?

Post by Slovenec » 16 Jul 2013, 21:20

So after years of speculating and wandering if it will ever arrive, here it is just a week short of the 4th anniversary of the release of Logic 9! :)

I understand that the 'core' library is 5GB in size once LPX has been installed. Information also suggests that you then have access to an additional 35GB of library content that can be downloaded for free once LPX is installed. What does this library consist of? Is it the 'old' L8 and L9 content that includes all the Jampacks and Apple loops from STP or is this indeed new content as was suggested to me when I called Apple Technical Support here in Australia earlier today?

I'm only asking because I'm assuming that because I already have L9 with that mammoth sound library, it might save me a considerable amount of time and download data if it isn't necessary for me to download what I already have installed in my system. :)

Are Apple trying to test the new National Broadband Network (NBN) currently being 'somehow'(!) rolled out in Australia to see if it's actually working?????? :) :) Any info regarding the additional library content is much appreciated!
Imac i7 3.4 ghz 16GB RAM Logic Pro 9 Protools 10 Reason 7
MIDITEK MUSIC PRODUCTION, RECORDING & TUITION: Backing Tracks, Demos & Albums.

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Re: Logic Pro X additional content download?

Post by G » 16 Jul 2013, 22:13

When I went to get the download, it actually brought up a menu comparing all of the parts that I already had installed. There's some familiar stuff like the full set of the old Jam Packs (I already had them installed, so it did not download them again), surround sound impulse responses (also skipped), and then there's a lot of the new sample sets like all of the new "accompaniment" drum kits and orchestral stuff. In all, my download was only around 20 GB to complete everything.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

mauisun

Post by mauisun » 18 Jul 2013, 03:22

Thanks Slovenec and G! DL'ing now.
http://www.bobbysbackingtracks.com/
Logic 9.1.8 Imac 3.4 i7...12gb ram...10.7.5 .Apogee ensemble...various 3rd party plugs

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 19 Jul 2013, 18:00

Thanks for your info G!

I downloaded and installed Logic Pro X last night and everything is working fine so far! :)

Regarding additional content, once the app itself was installed, this dark blue download bar came up indicating that it was downloading the sound library and that it would take at least an hour to download everything. I wasn't sure if this referred to the stock 5GB library or to the additional content?

Upon opening LPX, I've found all my Logic Pro library under a folder titled 'Legacy' in the new library browser. Here I can find all the sounds from the Jam Packs etc. Does this mean that LPX has automatically downloaded the additional content or is there still other stuff that I haven't downloaded yet. If there's still additional library content to download that applies specifically to LPX, where do I go to obtain this?

Cheers :)

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 19 Jul 2013, 18:21

You know, the first time I launched Logic Pro X after the Mac App Store download was "complete", most of the menus were grayed out. I didn't see a blue bar, but I get the feeling it wasn't all there yet. (It's been fine since the next launch.) We may have seen the same thing.

The "Download Additional Content…" option is under the Logic Pro X menu. :wink:
Screen Shot 2013-07-19 at 6.18.44 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

funkyappledog

Post by funkyappledog » 21 Jul 2013, 01:51

G ,
There is no option to put the additional downloads where we want?
They may want it to go to the system drive first but surely we all have setups with sounds located on specific drives -
I ask because my system drive is as close to 80% full and i do not put content there.

So can i ask what you did with this ?

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 21 Jul 2013, 02:20

I didn't notice any way to put the content elsewhere via the installer. I run a Mac Pro, so I can afford a large, HDD boot volume. But I've been thinking about an SSD, so I hear you.

I've heard that folder aliases don't work, but you may be able to move the content elsewhere and create a symbolic link back to it.

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 21 Jul 2013, 03:22

I've been downloading the additional content all weekend and I've received several messages saying that the content can't be downloaded. I restart the installer and it continues where it left off but it's a very slow and arduous process!

I also want to move the entire sound library on to my external hard drive but it seems like a complicated process. What are the steps involved??

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 21 Jul 2013, 20:08

I had better luck downloading three to four packages vs letting the whole list cue up.
Still took a while, and several attempts.

Probably easier to download now, that some of the dust has settled.

:? :|
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo

funkyappledog

Post by funkyappledog » 25 Jul 2013, 18:39

10.1 updates apparently helps with one of the download issues.

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 26 Jul 2013, 09:48

funkyappledog wrote:10.1 updates apparently helps with one of the download issues.
They were pretty quick with that update, that was good to see that response. :)

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo