Hooking up mixer to Garageband, can't hear microphone

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
sherrike

Hooking up mixer to Garageband, can't hear microphone

Post by sherrike » 20 Jul 2013, 13:52

Hey guys, I was hoping someone could answer a newbie question for me. We record our podcasts in Garageband. We were using a Yeti Blue mic in the omnidirectional setting, but we've just upgraded to individual mics and a mixer.

The problem is, I just plugged everything in, and while it seems to be recording fine in Garageband, I'm unable to hear anything through my headphones. I've changed the system preferences to output to "USB Audio Codec", using a 1/4" adapter to plug the headphones directly into the mixer, and changed the system preferences to output to the headphone jack and plugged the headphones directly into my macbook, but I'm still unable to hear anything at all.

Does anyone have an idea where I might be going wrong? I'm still quite new at this, and I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

sherrike

Re: Hooking up mixer to Garageband, can't hear microphone

Post by sherrike » 20 Jul 2013, 14:00

Another problem I'm encountering is once I've recorded something in Garageband, I can see that there is something recorded, but I'm unable to hear it either through my headphones or the internal speakers in my Macbook. I am completely baffled...

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 20 Jul 2013, 14:17

Hi sherrike,

You'll need to backtrace your steps and test a few things, since we don't know your exact setup (which Mac, which mixer, how is everything connected?).

First, I'd switch the output from GarageBand back to Internal and try to play something back. That would establish that your recordings are ok. Then, if you switch back to "USB Audio Codec", and I'm guessing that option only appears when you plug a USB cable into your USB mixer, check the manual for that mixer to see if DAW output needs to be further routed or enabled somehow.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

sherrike

Post by sherrike » 20 Jul 2013, 15:09

Hi G,

I'm using one of the new Macbook Airs, with the Monoprice 615808 mixer. It's connected directly to the Mac via USB cable.

I unplugged the mixer from the Mac, and switched my output back to Internal Speakers. I can now hear the playback, which is great, but I still can't hear while recording. I don't see anything in the manual about routing audio for output.

sherrike

Post by sherrike » 20 Jul 2013, 15:21

The headphones are plugged into the mixer using an adapter, since the jack isn't 1/4", but that probably wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Sorry for not knowing anything about anything. I've just been learning as I've been going along. :)

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 20 Jul 2013, 15:32

sherrike wrote:I'm using one of the new Macbook Airs, with the Monoprice 615808 mixer. It's connected directly to the Mac via USB cable.

I unplugged the mixer from the Mac, and switched my output back to Internal Speakers. I can now hear the playback, which is great, but I still can't hear while recording. I don't see anything in the manual about routing audio for output.
There may be two issues here.

First, listening to your tracks as you are recording, no matter what the output device, is usually called Software Monitoring. It looks like GarageBand may just call it "monitoring".. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1814

Second, the photos on monoprice.com aren't clear or large enough, but there should be some way to monitor the USB source. I noticed in one of the reviews there, that some unintuitive combo of two buttons was actually a proper way of routing. That may be worth investigating.
sherrike wrote:The headphones are plugged into the mixer using an adapter, since the jack isn't 1/4", but that probably wouldn't make a difference, would it?

Sorry for not knowing anything about anything. I've just been learning as I've been going along. :)
No worries! :)

The Phones jack on the mixer's rear panel appears to be 1/4". Did you mean the headphones plug is not 1/4"? Many actually aren't, but come with their own 1/8" to 1/4" adapter. That should be fine. But if you're using a random adapter from a different source, you'll want to test that in another device to be sure.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

sherrike

Post by sherrike » 20 Jul 2013, 16:42

Yes, sorry, the headphones plug is not 1/4".

We have the 2TK and 2TK to Main buttons pushed down, which seems to be the proper way to monitor.

Do you know if the audio has to go back in to the mixer? Do I need a headphone jack to RCA splitter to get the audio to come back out of the mixer?

G
Owner/Admin

Post by G » 20 Jul 2013, 16:49

sherrike wrote:Do you know if the audio has to go back in to the mixer?
Hmmm. Since your mixer and interface are both in one device, I'm not sure how you plan/need to monitor what you're doing, or what that mixer is actually capable of doing simultaneously. But since you are software monitoring with all real-time sources, probably not. You could listen directly from the MacBook Air's internal jack and get a similar result.

Note that software monitoring will introduce some delay between what you put in to the microphone and what you hear from the computer, since it takes a few milliseconds to "handle" that round trip (or more, if you apply effects). Some audio interfaces can mix the incoming audio from the live side (microphones) with the computer to remove this delay (aka latency). That's why there's an option to turn software monitoring off.

The mixer's manual doesn't say anything about using it with a DAW or computer?
sherrike wrote:Do I need a headphone jack to RCA splitter to get the audio to come back out of the mixer?
Out of the mixer to where?