"Logic Pro X will be sandboxed"

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications

"Logic Pro X will be sandboxed"

Post by 27 » 21 Sep 2013, 23:09

so, stumbled across this thread at KVR where a tweet from Chris Randall of audio damage spilled the beans on apple's plans to sandbox logicX.

it's worth reading the whole thread but suffice to say an email went out to some developers with plain as day memo about logic's future sandboxing.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... sc&start=0

twitter thread -

https://twitter.com/Chris_Randall/statu ... 8354750464

"At some point in the future Logic Pro X will be sandboxed; all Audio Unit plugins and audio hardware will need to be sandbox-safe."

so, what that means in the context of today's logic and its future and how sandboxing logic would be implemented.. well... who knows.. this 1st level of sandboxing could be another layer of gatekeeper type stuff and then a new AU eval tool.

but the "sky is falling" scenario is obviously if developers get forced into the app store for distributing plug ins.

thoughts?

mfritze

Re: "Logic Pro X will be sandboxed"

Post by mfritze » 25 Sep 2013, 11:32

"At some point in the future"... But lets speculate now what, how and when that will be, we haven't done that in a while after the "Logic Pro is dead" thread...

Post by 27 » 25 Sep 2013, 18:23

mfritze wrote:"At some point in the future"... But lets speculate now what, how and when that will be, we haven't done that in a while after the "Logic Pro is dead" thread...

i hear ya.. but as in the KVR thread it's implied that typically the action that apple hints about happens about a year after the memo is sent out.

it's just food for thought and developers are already being seeded the sandboxed version to see if their plug ins work. (also discussed in the kvr thread) so it's not soooo much speculation but is something that is going to happen relatively soon.

various preset mechanisms, registration/authorization methods and preferences are basically messed up which means lot's of rewrites for developers to make things work. endless treadmill.

ty604

Post by ty604 » 06 Oct 2013, 01:40

And this is bad how?

Post by 27 » 09 Oct 2013, 18:50

ty604 wrote:And this is bad how?
er... plug ins either get more expensive or developers abandon AU as a format and only do VST.

i could regurgitate the whole KVR thread here but it's better to just go through and read it. there's a lot of posts from developers in there with varying ideas about..

but in a nutshell it leads to a more closed environment.

ty604

Post by ty604 » 09 Oct 2013, 20:16

That would never happen. If anything they'd feel more safe from pirating if plugs were only available via Mac App Store. It's not iLok therefore would never have an iLok type of fiasco. It could actually be convenient. Download the plugins you bought anytime anywhere from the Cloud and on any machine with your Apple ID.

wonshu

Post by wonshu » 10 Oct 2013, 05:05

The sandboxing will have to be a little different from the way "regular" apps are sandboxed.

Mainly because of sample libraries and preset exchange etc.

I would always like to know where the files on my computer actually are. I handle my backups in way where I just mirror each drive I have connected. So when one of the fails, I just replace it with the backup and I'm up and running in under 10 minutes. Then I buy a new drive and mirror to that again.

So the sandboxed plug-ins would definitely have to have accesss to the filesystem.

Then again, at the moment it's all really wild speculation because no one really knows. Why do we like doing this so much??

;-)

Best
Hans
Good Loops - Guitar Kitchen Vol. 1
Flexible acoustic guitar loop library

Post by 27 » 10 Oct 2013, 17:35

ty604 wrote:That would never happen. If anything they'd feel more safe from pirating if plugs were only available via Mac App Store. It's not iLok therefore would never have an iLok type of fiasco. It could actually be convenient. Download the plugins you bought anytime anywhere from the Cloud and on any machine with your Apple ID.

double edged sword though.. you could never sell/transfer a license.

and trying to guess what apple will do is a crap shoot and many developers did express a "the sky is not falling" attitude in the KVR thread.. but others said "if the worst case scenario happens then good bye AU". and the app store isn't safe from piracy. torrents are littered with pirated iApps.

assuming that apple cares about patch exchange and how 3rd party plug ins relate to sample libraries is silly. they don't care. developers will have to do it their way or no way. remember when they bought logic and dropped windows support? what about final cut pro? shake? sound diver? redmattica?

apple does what's best for apple.

i've spoken to some logicX beta testers who said they were basically screaming at apple about certain things in logicX and they were just ignored about several key things... apple did change some things but it was a long battle during the beta process and many questioned why they even did a beta and asked for feedback when it appeared they really didn't want any.

so, don't bet on apple to do things in a way that makes sense for end users.

Post by 27 » 10 Oct 2013, 17:40

wonshu wrote: So the sandboxed plug-ins would definitely have to have accesss to the filesystem.
Urs talks about this in the kvr thread. _there is already a sandboxed version of LogicX_ seeded to developers. :cry:

as boring as it might be and repetitive and tainted with internet music forum hysteria... it's worth going through the kvr thread for the developer comments.

again.. there is already a sandboxed version of logic that exists.

Post by 27 » 27 Oct 2013, 12:06

new garageband is some indication of how this will affect developers.. several pages of developer discussion here.. the later pages reveal some fixes and changes etc..

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=