Need advice on new stable iMac/Logic set up

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
statalovich

Need advice on new stable iMac/Logic set up

Post by statalovich » 29 Jul 2014, 21:57

Hi I'm switching over to a iMac and Logic from PC and Cubase. My concern is iMac has only 1 HD. I was do not partition it. I was also told upgrade to flash storage. I'm wondering is 512GB enough it's super expensive at $500 upgrade. I use NI Komplete, Omnisphere, superior drums etc, etc...

So is there a stable set up? I'm using UAD Apollo Twin. Do I use an external drive for songs and the flash drive for samples and applications?

Any help appreciated.

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Re: Need advice on new stable iMac/Logic set up

Post by G » 29 Jul 2014, 22:44

I'm considering switching from my Mac Pro, with tons of internal storage (4 HDs in bays, 1 SSD on PCIe card), to the next generation 15" MacBook Pro Retina. The limited internal storage presents the same issue.

My plan is to use external hard drives via USB3 or Thunderbolt. Either interface with modern drives would probably provide at least as much speed as my current internal drives, which are a few years old. On the Mac Pro SATA II bus, real world tests score under 100 MB/sec uncached read, and these old drives have never presented even the slightest hiccup with Logic, even with 40+ audio tracks going.

On an iMac, you can still opt for an internal hard drive (non-flash), which would give you more room to set up partitions for recording. But flash storage will give you so much more boot/app speed.

Size-wise, my current boot volume is a 750 GB SSD, and I'm using 524 GB of it. That's the OS, apps, and lots of media that's not easily moved: iPhoto library, iTunes Producer files, etc. My downloads folder, big project folders and iTunes library have already been offloaded. I might be able to make 512 GB work with a lot of effort, but it would be tight. BUT! Since you're starting fresh, without a ton of photos, no iTunes Producer uploads, no WoW and Diablo III (and all expacs), etc., 512 GB is probably fine.

For the record, a UAD Apollo is also at the top of my interface shopping list.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 31 Jul 2014, 08:41

Be aware of the differences between the iMac models.

What ever you get, I suggest a quad i7 CPU.

The 21.5 inch models have a max of 16GB RAM, get as much as you can afford, because the RAM is soldered to the motherboard.

Changing drives requires a display tear down. :o

The 27 inch, has four standard DIMM slots, that are user accessible. 32GB max.
The SSD is faster, but I wouldn't get it from Apple.
SSD are best suited for system drives they will allow you load apps faster, and faster handling of virtual memory.

7200 rpm hard drives can handle hundreds of audio tracks.

Third party RAM, and hard drives will save you some budget, there are kits available that supply the tools and double backed tape! :?

If Apple doesn't radically changes the Mac Mini, my next system will be based on Multiple Minis.

For less than the price of an iMac, two quad i7 minis would provide 8 cores for VEP 5 for hosting virtual instruments.
Allows you receive and transmit MIDI and audio over Ethernet.

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1988/1677.vsl

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo

gdoubleyou

Post by gdoubleyou » 31 Jul 2014, 08:45

G wrote:I'm considering switching from my Mac Pro, with tons of internal storage (4 HDs in bays, 1 SSD on PCIe card), to the next generation 15" MacBook Pro Retina. The limited internal storage presents the same issue.

My plan is to use external hard drives via USB3 or Thunderbolt. Either interface with modern drives would probably provide at least as much speed as my current internal drives, which are a few years old. On the Mac Pro SATA II bus, real world tests score under 100 MB/sec uncached read, and these old drives have never presented even the slightest hiccup with Logic, even with 40+ audio tracks going.

On an iMac, you can still opt for an internal hard drive (non-flash), which would give you more room to set up partitions for recording. But flash storage will give you so much more boot/app speed.

Size-wise, my current boot volume is a 750 GB SSD, and I'm using 524 GB of it. That's the OS, apps, and lots of media that's not easily moved: iPhoto library, iTunes Producer files, etc. My downloads folder, big project folders and iTunes library have already been offloaded. I might be able to make 512 GB work with a lot of effort, but it would be tight. BUT! Since you're starting fresh, without a ton of photos, no iTunes Producer uploads, no WoW and Diablo III (and all expacs), etc., 512 GB is probably fine.

For the record, a UAD Apollo is also at the top of my interface shopping list.
I'm loving my Apollo Duo, in retrospect I should have saved up for the Apollo Quad.
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Post by G » 31 Jul 2014, 17:00

gdoubleyou wrote:
G wrote:For the record, a UAD Apollo is also at the top of my interface shopping list.
I'm loving my Apollo Duo, in retrospect I should have saved up for the Apollo Quad.
Very cool. One of my business partners went from UAD PCIe cards in a Mac Pro to a MacBook Pro retina with an Apollo Twin Duo, and I was just about to pick his brain regarding how much DSP I'd need. I definitely don't need the I/O of a Quad anymore.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info