Logic doesn't use my powerful computer.

Discussion of Apple Logic Pro, MainStage, GarageBand and all related applications
Hakim

Logic doesn't use my powerful computer.

Post by Hakim » 25 Oct 2018, 01:41

Since the beginning of the year I'm still experiment bad performances only when I'm working in Logic pro X.
I read all the topics about optimizing the performance of logic.
So, do not talk to me about things like this https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200260.
I have tried so many things until I decided to follow a very strict protocol to minimize the parameters.
First my computer is :
Mac pro I9-7900X 10 cores 20 threads 3.3GHz (OC 4.7GHz) delid with Conductonaut and copper IHS
MB Asus TUF X299 MARK-2, 64GB ram.
Corsair Hydro Series H110i AIO + 4 Noctua fans
I kept only 2 drive installed (960 Samsung nvme), one with OSX and the other where I put Logic project.
I made a fresh install of High Sierra. I installed only Logic Pro X and 1 plugin, yes only 1 plugin!
I choose U-He Diva because he is CPU hungry. So the problem cannot come from a bad installation or bad plugins.
Here is the bench I have with only these things installed. It's really excellent, no?
You can see on PowerGadget windows, CPU pics at 4.7GHz, Power pics at 220W and % pics at 100.
So my computer is able to do that.
Voir le Fichier : Bench1.png

So I made a totally new project (no template) in Logic pro with several instruments to load the CPU Logic gauge.
I put the best settings in audio Logic's preferences.
So you can see in first pic, Logic CPU gauge is high but my Processor runs only at 1.37GHz while he can go up to 4.7GHz, why?
Voir le Fichier : LogicH1.png

On second pic I have the famous overload message but my CPU only runs between 2 and 3GHz with about 30% utilization.
Why Logic doesn't use the power of my computer? I built a big computer and still have the same performances as with my previous computer.
Voir le Fichier : LogicH2.png

For information, I made same tests and got same results with:
- Logic 10.2.2, Logic 10.3.3, Logic 10.4.0, Logic 10.4.2
- High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan (only Logic 10.2 and 10.3, 10.4 not working on El Cap).

I repeat I have no problem with others applications, only Logic. I have tuned the bios to get the best performances.
And, oh I forget that, when Logic overload, CPU usage in Apple's monitor is about 30%, there is nothing in Monitor that eat CPU or ram, really nothing, and no fan noises, the computer stays silent. It's just as if Logic doesn't want to use the available power.
I'm open to any suggestions.
I would be forever grateful to whoever will find the stuff that stuck. A reward is not excluded ;-)

G
Owner/Admin
Twitter: glenngutierrez

Re: Logic doesn't use my powerful computer.

Post by G » 25 Oct 2018, 03:01

Hey Hakim!

Up front, I have no answer, but...

Have you tried going at the problem from a Hackintosh perspective? It's not really a MacPro6,1, right? Maybe back off the OC or anything else that wouldn't be happening on a "standard" Mac. We have no idea how Logic calculates its CPU metering and limits, and this is a complete shot in the dark, but it may simply be confused by an overclocked 10-core i9 sitting in an Asus motherboard (sounds nice, though — I've built my own PC as well, for Windows gaming).

My quad i7 MacBook Pro would handle your Logic Pro X test easily, and I'm using 64-bit summing, so it's definitely not about how much power you have built into that machine. Something else is going on.
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . UA Apollo x6 + Quad . macOS Catalina . Logic Pro X . TwistedWave . FCPX . PS CC . Affinity Suite . Get Info

Hakim

Post by Hakim » 25 Oct 2018, 06:43

Yes of course it's a Hack. We have to use Hack, Apple has abandoned us since 2013.
I have posted also on Tonymac forum.
But I'm try my luck here because it seems to be a Logic problem cause I have no problem with others software.
I'm digging for the moment in the bios options, but it's stange to have problems only with Logic.
But Logic is the reason why I use mac OSX...

Ruhlen

Post by Ruhlen » 08 Jan 2019, 06:47

I feel like Logic doesn't use anywhere near the maximum power that my computer offers as well. Did you get to the bottom of this, Hakim?

Hakim

Post by Hakim » 08 Jan 2019, 14:01

yes, check what I've posted yesterday here :
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/logi ... 361/page-2