DP 7.2 Review!

Discussion of MOTU Digital Performer and exclusive effects, hardware or instruments
michael
Site Supporter

DP 7.2 Review!

Post by michael » 06 Sep 2010, 14:00

OK I jumped ship on DP 2.7.2 in 01 and moved to Logic, which served me faithfully for many years.
Lately I've been using Live for composing, but a recent interest in older patch changeable analogue synths has had me interested DAWs that can do SysEx etc.
I upgraded to DP5, and though it's a nice DAW, it didn't wrest me away from Live or Logic really. Then comes DP7, solid, and with all the features that made me wonder what MOTU were doing? Everything is so much better thought out in DP7, it's only been a couple days, but the GUI is vastly improved, no glitching to speak of when editing while the song is playing, and things that were glitchy in 5 simply aren't anymore. The look of the application is vastly better than before in all areas really.
Themes pretty much rules, MOTU thought them out very well, I'm using a dark theme and all fonts are readable (I'm looking at you Live!). Contextual menus is going to be HUGE for people coming from other DAWs or new to the program, as well as a time saver in general.
I'm working on a custom key command set, and it's great to know that MOTU added a ton of new ones to use.
I haven't downloaded the free iphone app for DP7 yet, but it's getting nothing but good reviews.
New editing feature of folders put them at the same level of use IMO as Logic's, and coupled with Chunks, it's a no brainer which is more versatile.

The thing that sets DP7 apart from Logic and Live IMO is the Chunks and V-Rack features. With Chunks you get multiple versions of the same song available if you want or need, great for writing when you start rendering audio, then decide you need to add a break or bridge etc. to a song. Chunks can also be individual parts of the song, say the entire chorus, so you can it wherever you want into the open sequence. On top of that Chunks can be entirely different songs, so in a performance situation or making a CD etc. you can lay out the songs into a single 'sequence' and record it, no need to go into a separate application. V-Racks allow you to use the same set of FX and Instruments in all the Chunks in a Project, so changing Chunks/Songs/song versions etc. is lightening fast.

With Live, individual 'songs' either have to be loaded into Clips or into the Arrangement View, so all 120 odd audio files for a 13 song set must be loaded into a single set, or you can compromise on mixing ability and render the whole song to single stereo audio files etc. This can be bad in rooms with bass issues.

With Logic, Mainstage is a separate program, which opens up it's own can of worms there, same with CD rendering etc. It's entirely possible, just not half as elegant.

And Yeah I'm going to blog a bit about DP7 here. For whatever reason, it seems that people aren't paying attention to DP7 even though it's very much on the forefront of DAW
design and state of use. IMO MOTU are working on the parts of DP that are legacy and needed some boosting, and DP is again the one to beat. 8)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

polyslax

Re: DP 7.2 Review!

Post by polyslax » 11 Sep 2010, 06:18

Thanks for this! If something radical doesn't happen with Live soon I'm considering at least adding another DAW to the mix if not out-right jumping ship. I've always found DP more in tune with my style than Logic, but sometimes MOTU as a company scares me - owning a few of their instruments over the years and at times felt completely ignored as a customer.

I've got to pick up a new audio interface as my FF800 got fried in a thunderstorm this week... if I move to an Apogee Ensemble I'm considering the bundle with Logic for an extra $50 just to keep my options open, otherwise I'm keeping a close eye on MOTU and seeing if Ableton gets their act together.

What do you think of them offering the Masterworks set as plugins?

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 12 Sep 2010, 03:05

polyslax wrote:Thanks for this! If something radical doesn't happen with Live soon I'm considering at least adding another DAW to the mix if not out-right jumping ship. I've always found DP more in tune with my style than Logic, but sometimes MOTU as a company scares me - owning a few of their instruments over the years and at times felt completely ignored as a customer.
Yeah spotty customer service, but Logic offeres 90 days phone support, then you have to pay some ungodly amount for it. Not a better choice there. Ableton are top notch in being communicative, but I'm not as convinced that they have a vision of where Live will be 5 years from now, the approached seems to be to fire a shotgun blast and see what sticks. Even offering the instruments and add on packs seems last minute and rushed. Also DP7 has had MAJOR changes in updates that add a ton of new features. Live hasn't done that in about 5 years, and Logic can't because of anti trust laws put in for publicly traded companies after Enron. So that's IMO one big customer service the others are not offering.
I've got to pick up a new audio interface as my FF800 got fried in a thunderstorm this week... if I move to an Apogee Ensemble I'm considering the bundle with Logic for an extra $50 just to keep my options open, otherwise I'm keeping a close eye on MOTU and seeing if Ableton gets their act together.
Depends on what you want to use, personally I will pay more for software I want to use with few exceptions. I like Logic, I own it and Live, but I just think DP is doing things right at this point. I'm not a loyal DAW person, I will and have jumped ship if I think it will ease my headaches with software etc.
What do you think of them offering the Masterworks set as plugins?
I think they could have made a lot of money had they offered it for $199, $299 is too much in this economy and with the reverb competition out there. Still a decent deal, but hey, I could be wrong and it sells like mad?
DP7, Live 8 Suite

SmilesLots

Post by SmilesLots » 12 Sep 2010, 04:58

Been using DP since 2.1 days. There have been some less than stellar iterations, but DP7 has been rock solid for me.
Many souped up Macs
Attitude is everything
Everyone is right

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 12 Sep 2010, 14:58

It would definitely have been a choice for me prior to purchasing Logic, should there not have been so many reports of how buggy it was at the time, [I guess it was about DP 5.0] and for the fact that there is no demo. I really can't understand that from a marketing point of view [especially when there is consistent reports of poor customer service from MOTU]. I understand that there is no Logic Pro demo, but at least one can trial Express for an overall feel for the program...

DP is a complete unknown for me. I tried it once on a friends machine years ago on OS9, and found it much more elegant than Logic at the time, but have no way of knowing where it's now at.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » 12 Sep 2010, 15:46

Agreed no demo is a bad, and hard to comprehend these days, move.

The other thing that sux is that the competitive crossgrade is only available to residents of the USA.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 12 Sep 2010, 19:38

Didn't know that about the crossgrade?... too bad.
Don't think Sonar or Cubase or Pro Tools have demos either? Thing is MOTU should IMO bundle a cut down version with their hardware (Audiodesk doesn't count, no MIDI), like Stienberg and Ableton have set up with various controller and audio card manufacturers.

I have DP5.13, nothing wrong with it, no serious crashes etc. DP6 was supposedly a dog, didn't upgrade, so I can't say first hand. Actually I get more crashes with Logic 8 than DP 7. 7 hasn't crashed yet, and I'm still a bit of a noob, so that's saying something. Oddly enough load times for NI Kore 2 in DP7 VS Live 7 are MUCH faster, at least 15 seconds shaved.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

rod samuel
Site Supporter

Post by rod samuel » 14 Sep 2010, 06:40

polyslax wrote:
The other thing that sux is that the competitive crossgrade is only available to residents of the USA.
I crossgraded from Cubase and live in Canada. That was a number of years ago but I would further investigate.
cheers

polyslax

Post by polyslax » 14 Sep 2010, 09:36

rod samuel wrote:
polyslax wrote:
I crossgraded from Cubase and live in Canada. That was a number of years ago but I would further investigate.
cheers
Good to know Rod, thanks! Worth investigating further.

timemist
Location: My space/time coordinates are in a constant state of flux

Post by timemist » 19 Sep 2010, 19:26

DP7 look quite good, but how is MOTU with support? They don't have any blog or community help on their site, or am I missing something?

Post by 27 » 19 Sep 2010, 21:08

timemist wrote:DP7 look quite good, but how is MOTU with support? They don't have any blog or community help on their site, or am I missing something?
http://www.motunation.com/forum/index.php

motu has a bad reputation when it comes to support but i'm not sure why. i've had good support from them in the past. they even fixed my 828MKII after it was a year past the warranty! all i had to pay is shipping to them.

there are also various motu/DP sub forums on other bigger audio/music forums... and there are also plenty of how too DVDs etc. youtube stuff and all that.

SmilesLots

Post by SmilesLots » 20 Sep 2010, 04:57

Here is a good forum on Motu stuff:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/index.php
Many souped up Macs
Attitude is everything
Everyone is right

Mike Connelly

Post by Mike Connelly » 01 Oct 2010, 07:44

How does DP run on the mac pros, does it use all cores including the hyperthreading cores on the various machines?

Cubase does have a downloadable demo, looks like Sonar has in the past but not right now.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 04 Oct 2010, 01:33

Mike Connelly wrote:How does DP run on the mac pros, does it use all cores including the hyperthreading cores on the various machines?
I don't know? I kind of remember people claiming it utilizes all cores? but I can't test as I use a core 2 duo laptop.
Here's the blurb from the motu site!
Digital Performer takes full advantage of the latest advances in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard's multi-threading and multi-processor operation, sample-accurate MIDI Time Stamping, Core MIDI patch list support, Audio Units plug-ins and virtual instruments, support for multiple Core Audio interface drivers and more.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 25 Oct 2010, 17:14

I'm a long term Logic and Protoole LE user and have often considered getting DP because it seems the ideal 'half way point' between the midi capabilities of Logic and the audio capabilities of Protools. The edit window in DP does look suspicisously like it's laid out in the same way as Protools' edit window.

MOTU needs to do what Digi/Avid did in Protools 8 and add some decent synths to the many fx/dynamics plugs they already have in the application. Perhaps something like their MX4 synth and Mach Five sampler as standard would already be a good start?

If there was a reasonable crossgrade option from Logic or Protools, I'd seriously consider getting in DP7. However, I'm not prepared to spend $400+ purchasing DP when I've already got Logic and to be honest, Logic still offers a lot more for the money 'out of the box' than DP including it's fantastic sound library that would cost a lot if it was offered on it's own!

Just my thoughts. Any other reasons why I should seriously consider chencking out DP7???? :)
Imac i7 3.4 ghz 16GB RAM Logic Pro 9 Protools 10 Reason 7
MIDITEK MUSIC PRODUCTION, RECORDING & TUITION: Backing Tracks, Demos & Albums.