PCI Audio driver 1.06 does not recogize PCI 324 card.

Discussion of MOTU Digital Performer and exclusive effects, hardware or instruments
Ze3b

PCI Audio driver 1.06 does not recogize PCI 324 card.

Post by Ze3b » 01 Jul 2004, 15:00

What a great resource this is. I am wondering if anyone has had the following problem with DP 4.12 running in OS 10.3.4.
I have a G5 sawtooth (AGP) with a gigdesign dual 1.2GHz G4 Processor from Other World Computing. Recently i upgraded my old trusty G4 from dual 500's to dual 1.2 gig processors so i could migrate to OSX and DP4.

Installed DP 4 and things were pretty good. Set about a few tests, updated my powerCore, created my midi environ. Not Bad. Then...

I notice that i didn't see my 308 interface. Just 2408 and 1224. hmm. Okay, dl'd the newest PCIAudio 1.06. Now I don't see any interfaces in Audiomidi setup. Nada. Thinking that my PCI 324 card bit the dust. I booted up in 9.2 (thankfully) and ran DP 3.1. No problem. Everything is there and working fine.

I carefully removed all traces of PCI 324 in OSX per Motu's technote. and Reinstalled, No Joy. Hit hardware reset on motherboard, No Joy.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Motu tech says it is possible that the Gigadesign accelerator or the PowerCore board could be the culprit. Or memory. I think not. It all works in 9.2. I am wondering if it is pciaudio driver 1.06.

Thankfully, my OS9 enviroment (same machine) is still working. So I am not totally dead.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, confirmations, condolences....
Not a good Party Member
[SPAM][SPAM][SPAM][SPAM][SPAM]-

http://www.captivear.com

TheHopiWay

Post by TheHopiWay » 01 Jul 2004, 16:59

Sorry I can't be of help with your problem but I'm dying to know who penned your signature....
System A;G-4 Dual 867 w/1.5 gigs ram, OSX 10.3.9, DP 4.61, Peak Pro xt5, MOTU 424 PCI/2408 mk3, TC Powercore, UAD-1, Waves Gold 5, MTP AV via Stealth serial port, Ramsa DA7

Ze3b

ain't no money past the fifth fret?

Post by Ze3b » 02 Jul 2004, 09:06

Yeah this problem is very perplexing and I think speaks to some needed improvements in management of PCI drivers not just MOTU's tho they are at the top of my list.

I've used DP since around 91 never ever, have i seen anything like this. And I'm pretty comfortable with OSX too having written several OSX apps. See MyMusic Personal Librarian on version tracker osx.

Oh the quote. Something I always joke about but StringBean said it first. Dave "Stringbean" Akema, a famous grand ole opry performer,
was chiding Chet Atkins on his fancy guitar work. He said "You know feller, that's is all well and good but, there ain't no money past the 5th fret" Stringbean later was shot by a burglar who was trying to steal his banjo.

True tho isn't it? Other folks have said it too. Steve Vai once made a similar comment, he said I have the same notes in my first 5 frets but I wore those ones out.
TheHopiWay wrote:Sorry I can't be of help with your problem but I'm dying to know who penned your signature....
Not a good Party Member

parasitk

Post by parasitk » 02 Jul 2004, 09:14

I really don't think that MOTU supports the PCI-324 anymore, so I'm not suprised it doesn't work. I believe the 424 is the "official" OS X card... I stopped upgrading that stuff just to make sure I could keep using my 324.

I tried following MOTU's upgrade path to the 424, and they didn't believe that I really bought the 324, since I couldn't find my receipt (I mean I bought it in 2000 not really expecting to have to "upgrade" in 2004...).. oh well..

Ze3b

found the solution. NOW it works

Post by Ze3b » 03 Jul 2004, 16:53

Well after tweaking every knob, bit, sample I had with little success, I finally put my trust in Motu and decided there was no way that they could not have any other support issues with the 324 card and PCI audio 1.06.

SOOO.. I backed everything up for both of my boot partitions. 1 drive, 2 partitions one for OS9 and one for OSX. and re-formatted the drive. I restored the OS9 and the installed OSX from scratch. After reinstalling DP4.12 and using the 1.06 drivers. I am happy to report it is all working.

Yay! No I mean YAY!

so, if anyone else runs into this. There ya go. I guess it just got a little mangled, Perhaps tho, some error recovery, and diagnostic tools could be in order. MOTU? listening?

thanks ya'll.

Ze3b :D
Not a good Party Member

Bosco

Post by Bosco » 05 Jul 2004, 13:32

Glad you found the problem

I saw an A&E program about Stringbean. Very sad story and such a nice guy. He and his wife were both murdered by 2 men ( I think but I can't remeber if they were caught). They heard that Stringbean kept his money in his cabin. They never found it though they ransacked the place,

Years later , if I remember, they were either renovating or tearing down the cabin and money fell out of the chimney. Can't remember whether it was 10 or 30 grand.
G4 DP 1.42/2GB RAM. Logic Pro, MOTU HD 192, 2408 MkII

Ze3b

Can someone help? G4 is dead.

Post by Ze3b » 09 Jul 2004, 14:33

I don't know if it is related or not. I think so, It was on its way back up but never got fully together. I had lots of crashes after a few minutes. Shortly after I got freezes on startup. I brought it up in safe mode and updated the adaptec 39160 driver. Then I got a kernal panic so I F+O'd the startup and typed boot-mac and it came up. That was the last time.

Now the G4 dualie will not come up at all. No startup sound at all. I have stripped it, taken out everything, all ram, scsi card, 324 card, disconnected all usb. It does not want to start. No startup sound, no monitor. It is acting like the motherboard died. i hit the reset on the mother board but no help. It lights up, the drives startup (power only)

Is there something I am missing?
Not a good Party Member

Bosco

Post by Bosco » 11 Jul 2004, 20:16

Does it bootup from the CD? Is there a bootup CD with the G4 upgarde card?

Have you tried putting the old CPU back in? Maybe it's a problem with the upgrade card.

Ze3b

Post by Ze3b » 12 Jul 2004, 09:02

Yes I took it all the way down to original processor and no cards in. Still no bootup sound or monitor.
Not a good Party Member

Bosco

Post by Bosco » 13 Jul 2004, 19:38

Perhaps the PRAM battery is dead? My old 7600 wouldn't boot when the battery died. Not the same computers but I would think they would have the same problem with a dead battery.

qo
Site Supporter

Post by qo » 13 Jul 2004, 22:05

Absolutely, positively, the 324 is not supported under OSX and many folks have gnashed many teeth on this and other forums when they've tried to use it. I have a 324/2408 and didn't even bother. MOTU has an upgrade program for 324 owners so you can get a 424 at a reasonable price. I opted for an 896HD instead because I just don't want to mess with any 3rd party cards in my Mac other than the ones Apple stuck in there (well, OK, I did install a SATA controller :-). It's hard to resist (being one that loves to tinker with hardware), but I've forced this policy on myself for the sake of maintaining a stable music platform.

However, it's hard to imagine your G4 died as a direct result of this. Bummer. :(

qo

motutech

Post by motutech » 28 Jul 2004, 11:34

Absolutely, positively, the 324 IS supported under OSX. I'm listening to iTunes thru one right now on my Dual 1Ghz MDD dual under Panther. Is it possible on certain systems a 424 might work better? Sure, I suppose. But to say it's not supported in X is not accurate.
send responses to: techsupport@motu.com

Ze3b

That one is and one is not supported

Post by Ze3b » 28 Jul 2004, 13:14

For what it is worth. MotuTech gets the weight. Call me Naive but if the guys have to support it, they won't make their lives harder saying it works if it doesn't. Okay.

When my G4 comes alive again. see tech note http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=95054 for what is currently wrong, I'll test it.

Shortly before the G4 just died. After reformatting reinstalling OSX from scratch and DP4, it worked. Went to update a Rom in my Adaptec video card, Then two or three kernal panics and now no startup tone, no monitor, Ha. No work. Crap. Well I ordered a battery bought a "supported video card" So much for the $$ investment in Adaptec 39160, "bastards and traitors" I say.

Thanks for the replies. I hope to be running again... Period.
Not a good Party Member

Kubi
Site Supporter

Re: found the solution. NOW it works

Post by Kubi » 28 Jul 2004, 13:21

Ze3b wrote:SOOO.. I backed everything up for both of my boot partitions. 1 drive, 2 partitions one for OS9 and one for OSX. and re-formatted the drive. I restored the OS9 and the installed OSX from scratch. After reinstalling DP4.12 and using the 1.06 drivers. I am happy to report it is all working.
With very different problems (just some general instability) I ended up doing the same thing and, man, I'm a "complete-system-re-install" convert. I have had zero crashes, zero weirdness and very fast performance since (about five weeks ago or so.) So now, if there's any trouble and the quick, obvious fixes don't work (trashing prefs, repairing permissions, disk warrior and techtool pro etc.) I'd rather spend the one day it takes to do a clean re-install of everything than to hunt gremlins for weeks on end...

I used to have this same policy in system 7 (which I hate to admit I had been running until about 4 months ago, he he... :oops: audio was handled by Roland Hardware, DP 1.7 was my Midi-typewriter... ah, the bad old days...) but I'm now definitely on the same track in OSX. If your eye gives you trouble, rip it out...
Kubi

Ze3b

Re: found the solution. NOW it works

Post by Ze3b » 28 Jul 2004, 13:39

Kubi wrote:
With very different problems (just some general instability) I ended up doing the same thing and, man, I'm a "complete-system-re-install" convert. ...
I used to have this same policy in system 7 (which I hate to admit I had been running until about 4 months ago, he he... :oops... If your eye gives you trouble, rip it out...

Right on. I am hoping for the same. Just got to get my eye back in.... I normally reformat too. But I installed, leaving OS9 in place, and OS9 and OSX shared a drive. So Your not a convert, your a Revert. wonder why they called it ReVerb instead of ReNoun he he. I like that World REnown. Okay somebody.. Write a product for that name. Wheres that Stock listing.

T/hanks for the post.
Not a good Party Member