Offline Bit Rate Conversion:

Discussion of Ableton Live and exclusive effects, hardware or instruments

Offline Bit Rate Conversion:

Postby Mod » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 5:32 pm

From the Ableton Manual. Pg 498.

"Avoid using samples that are at different sample rates within the same project. If you want to work with such les, we recommend that you rst convert them to the sample rate set for your audio interface in an ofine application that is optimized for this task."

Okay so my project is all over the place, and I want to convert everything to the same same bit range and sample rate.

Most my samples are at 24bit. 44.1khz

I wanna work at 32bit 44.1khz from now on,

No here's my question:

1. What is the best tool for converting samples from 24bit up to 32bit? Will freeze and flatten work just fine inside Ableton? I also have Audiofile Engineering's Sample Manager and Wave Editor, but I'm getting a weird error when converting from 24bit to 32bit. Ableton doesn't like the files and gives me these distorted crazy waveforms.

2. If Ableton is working internally at 32bits, will converting all my files to this format alleviate the load of Ableton converting on the fly?

Thanks guys.
Mod

Re: Offline Bit Rate Conversion:

Postby hectorlee » Thu, 28 Oct 2010 6:53 pm

There isn't any benefits to bringing the bit depth of your audio to 32-bits. When DAWs refer to 32-bit or 64-bit internal audio engine it simply refers to its internal processing. Having an audio engine higher than 24 bits gives the processing engine more "headroom" to work with to prevent clipping, and audio artifacts. 24-bit audio is a pretty good standard and increasing the bit depth brings no benefits. 32-bits actually increases the load on your harddrive as it needs to read larger files with 'higher quality audio'(this isn't true as the audio content is still your 24-bit quality audio).

The manual refers to sample rate which is your '44.1kHz'. Having multiple sample rate forces Live to work harder as it needs to 'decipher' different sample rates. Since most of your samples are already 24-bit 44.1kHz, you're already in very good shape. If you have other sample rates in a project, changing them to 24-bit 44.1kHz will ease the load on Live.
hectorlee

Postby Mod » Fri, 29 Oct 2010 3:23 pm

thanks for the reply. I am glad I finally figured this out. What you wrote makes a lot of sense.
Mod

Postby hectorlee » Sun, 31 Oct 2010 7:42 am

No problem. Its a common confusion.
hectorlee

Return to Live