Problem with Macbook Pro Retina, Firewire Interface and Able

Discussion of Ableton Live and exclusive effects, hardware or instruments

Problem with Macbook Pro Retina, Firewire Interface and Able

Postby metamatic » Mon, 24 Jun 2013 8:07 am

I'm having issues when tracking with my new configuration in Ableton Live. I have a FW audio interface (Edirol FA-101), and as you know, the Macbook Retina doesn't come with any FW port, so i got a Thunderbolt-FW800 adapter. Next i run a FW800->FW400 adapter and then a FW400 cable to the Audio interface. This is on OSX 10.8.4.

This configuration works flawlessy in Logic 9. I stress tested it with a huge amount of plugin loaded (70-80% CPU load) and tracked without issues.

In Ableton Live (tested 9.0.4 and 8.3 with same results) , even with CPU at around 20-30% i get digital dropouts that get more frequent as the CPU load increases. For dropout i mean occasional samples at 0 value.
I tried to track with the built-in audio input in the same conditions and works ok. Also tried several buffer sizes (up to 512) without success.

So heres a list of tests i made:

- Ableton Live (8.3 and 9.0.4) CPU around 30%, tracking a single channel with FW: DIGITAL DROPS.

- Logic 9.1.7 CPU around 80% tarcking a single channel with FW WORKS OK.

- Ableton Live (8.3 and 9.0.4) CPU around 30%, tracking a single channel with Builtin interface:WORKS ok.

- Ableton Live (8.3 and 9.0.4) on an old 2008 Macbook, CPU around 70%, tracking a single channel with FW WORKS OK.

So it really seem an issue of Ableton Live with Firewire on this Macbook model/OSX ver.

Any idea?
metamatic

Return to Live