Shopping from the App Store = license limted to 1 computer?

Discussion of KeyMap, AutoSampler, ProManager and all related Redmatica applications
manofra

Shopping from the App Store = license limted to 1 computer?

Post by manofra » 16 Feb 2011, 02:53

Hi,

I just had this horrible experience with the Mac App Store: I purchased an app that cannot be transferred to another computer at all. It installed and registered in my laptop, which is NOT where I wanted it to be in the first place. My main playing computer lives in a rack with other equipment, and hardly ever touches the internet.

Previously, the software was sold directly from the developer's website, and you could install it in up to 3 machines, exactly like Redmatica (back in 2007). Is that still Redmatica's policy?

I plan to upgrade my older software to newer versions very soon, but will most certainly use SWREG for that.

I brought this subject here because I thought it would be of general interest. Please forgive me if it's not.

Thanks,

Mano

Andrea Gozzi
Site Supporter

Re: Shopping from the App Store = license limted to 1 computer?

Post by Andrea Gozzi » 16 Feb 2011, 03:33

I just had this horrible experience with the Mac App Store: I purchased an app that cannot be transferred to another computer at all.
Hi Mano,
just to be sure I understand what you wrote: are you talking about a Redmatica app, or something else? Generally speaking, *all* Mac App Store apps can be installed on multiple computers, as long as they are using OS X 10.6.6 (or later versions once they will be released).
It installed and registered in my laptop, which is NOT where I wanted it to be in the first place. My main playing computer lives in a rack with other equipment, and hardly ever touches the internet.
To install an App Store application (any App Store application) you will need to be connected to the internet even if for just one moment when you install the app. You can either copy the app to the 2nd computer and launch it (you will be asked for your iTunes credentials), or you can simply launch the App Store on the 2nd Mac, log with your iTunes credentials and download the software directly. So, don't panic and try what I just wrote above.
Previously, the software was sold directly from the developer's website, and you could install it in up to 3 machines, exactly like Redmatica (back in 2007).
... so if I understand correctly you are not talking about a Redmatica app, right?
Is that still Redmatica's policy?
Yes, but you will not have any problem of this kind in using the Mac App Store versions either.
I plan to upgrade my older software to newer versions very soon, but will most certainly use SWREG for that.
Just be aware that an internet connection is a requirement to install the Redmatica apps regardless of how you purchased them. After you installed the apps, of course you do not need any connection but for obvious reasons you will not get any automatic update notification (not good).
I brought this subject here because I thought it would be of general interest. Please forgive me if it's not.
Any shared experience is welcome, even if in this case it doesn't seem to be about the Redmatica apps directly...

Andrea
Redmatica

manofra

Post by manofra » 16 Feb 2011, 04:15

Thank you for your prompt response, Andrea.

No, I was not talking about Redmatica. It was another software. I NEVER had a problem installing or porting my Redmatica software in the past, and am very pleased with Redmatica's support. I just mentioned it here so other users could think this over and choose whether to purchase it from SWREG or the App Store.

I will follow your suggestions, thanks again for your help.

Mano
== ManoFra ==

Falk

Post by Falk » 16 Feb 2011, 08:58

I've had no problems with this.

I believe your computer has to be connected to the web.
1. When you're in the Appstore, click "purchases". Then you will see a list of the software you have bought.
2. Click install.
I believe it's a max of 5 machines...

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 16 Feb 2011, 16:39

Yeah in MAS if you are logged in with the same user you can download them to every computer you own. It even says this in EULA. See this article for details: http://www.macworld.com/article/157823/ ... thing.html
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

manofra

Post by manofra » 18 Feb 2011, 05:30

Hi all,

Thanks Andrea, Ottoman24, and Falk for your advice. I've followed your instructions and it worked fine. Sorry for creating any confusion, I'm new to the MAS and was afraid I had done something wrong or stupid.

In the past, I had problems with a piece of software purchased from a small company, as they would not let me reinstall and told me I had to purchase another license. It was cheap -- 10 pounds -- but I was truly disheartened with them and never used it again.

Best to all,

Mano