Native Instruments Announces KOMPLETE 7

Hardware and software instruments, soundware, patches and sample libraries
ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Re: Native Instruments Announces KOMPLETE 7

Post by ottoman42a » 21 Aug 2010, 09:01

Slovenec wrote:Why can't NI just continue supporting the B4 organ and forget about introducing a new sampled organ instrument? This is just one example of their sneaky marketing!
I agree with you completely but one reason they probably couldn't continually support B4 and Pro-53 was the code base. NI bet heavily on Carbon and once Apple killed 64bit Carbon they were kind of stuck so they probably figured instead of porting old and busted technology with design flaws they rather write a new product which is better designed and easier to support in a Carbon free world.

Also I'm sure the monies for launching a new product was on their mind as well.

Should they just be honest about the 'new' sound banks? Yes but at least it, if my theory is correct, it isn't totally a marketing thing.

Despite all of that I still think Komplete 7 is a pass, because all of those things will be there in 8 with a new version. Maybe when they cut the price in half around the holidays like they did last year I will grab it.
Last edited by ottoman42a on 21 Aug 2010, 14:45, edited 3 times in total.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

Kent Sandvik
Twitter: kentsandvik

Post by Kent Sandvik » 21 Aug 2010, 11:59

That was a strange decision -- believe Carbon would be around -- as Apple said time after time, over many many years, that Carbon will be phased out.

If this was the case, I suspect the normal suspects, i.e. short term business needs more important than investing developers writing a new codebase. Or a bad architecture where the UI was not cleanly separated from the sound engine.

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 21 Aug 2010, 13:49

Kent Sandvik wrote:That was a strange decision -- believe Carbon would be around -- as Apple said time after time, over many many years, that Carbon will be phased out.

If this was the case, I suspect the normal suspects, i.e. short term business needs more important than investing developers writing a new codebase. Or a bad architecture where the UI was not cleanly separated from the sound engine.
Pro 53 is really really old, predating carbon phase out talk from what I know. Same with B4. I'm not a fan of them doing this, but I get it.
Porting low selling old plug ins was obviously low priority.
Personally they should have made a reasonable facsimile in Reactor available, this would at least make me happy. :)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 22 Aug 2010, 18:56

michael wrote:
Kent Sandvik wrote:That was a strange decision -- believe Carbon would be around -- as Apple said time after time, over many many years, that Carbon will be phased out.

Pro 53 is really really old, predating carbon phase out talk from what I know. Same with B4. I'm not a fan of them doing this, but I get it.
Porting low selling old plug ins was obviously low priority.
Personally they should have made a reasonable facsimile in Reactor available, this would at least make me happy. :)
Excellent points and I totally agree! Like I mentioned earlier, for those getting into NI terriroty, K7 is a fantastic place to start and you get a lot for the money. Upgrading from K5 and K6, I don't feel I'm getting anything really special except the Reaktor 5.5 update. That's why I'm looking at skipping K7 and waiting for K8 that will no doubt be out towards the end of 2011.
Imac i7 3.4 ghz 16GB RAM Logic Pro 9 Protools 10 Reason 7
MIDITEK MUSIC PRODUCTION, RECORDING & TUITION: Backing Tracks, Demos & Albums.

Loopy C

Post by Loopy C » 23 Aug 2010, 05:35

ottoman42a wrote:
Slovenec wrote:...because all of those things will be there in 8 with a new version. ...
I might disagree with you there, I think now with 'Soundpacks' and Instrument Packs (Kontakt) we will see more variety and diversity in particular offers and the parts of Komplete not a full blown synth/sampler engine might be more prone to change per offer. Just a guess given the pool they now have to pick from...'The Finger' for example might not appear in the next round...again just guessing.

To be clear, it took me several weeks to decide to do it myself, I had to know I would be spending that same money on individual NI things included in near future before doing it ;-)
"Shut up, he explained"
Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
http://www.jesusworedickies.com/merch.html
http://www.loopyc.com
MacBook Pro| 2.8 GHz i7|8G RAM|OS 10.6.6 |Logic Pro 9.1.3
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 8 Core 2.66 Ghz | 16G RAM | OS 10.5.8 | Logic 9.1.3

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 23 Aug 2010, 09:24

Loopy C wrote:I might disagree with you there, I think now with 'Soundpacks' and Instrument Packs (Kontakt) we will see more variety and diversity in particular offers and the parts of Komplete not a full blown synth/sampler engine might be more prone to change per offer. Just a guess given the pool they now have to pick from...'The Finger' for example might not appear in the next round...again just guessing.
I had that same feeling myself, but still not enough of a motivator to purchase it for me anyways.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

michael
Site Supporter

Post by michael » 23 Aug 2010, 21:50

Slovenec wrote: Upgrading from K5 and K6, I don't feel I'm getting anything really special except the Reaktor 5.5 update. That's why I'm looking at skipping K7 and waiting for K8 that will no doubt be out towards the end of 2011.
FYI the update to Reactor 5.5 will be available to Reactor 5 owners in September.
I agree, if you own Komplete 5 you have B4, Elektric and Akoustic Piano, so the big things in K7 are covered.
Digitial Performer 7 is waiting for me, so MOTU will get my $195 when I round it up! 8)
DP7, Live 8 Suite

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 02 Sep 2010, 20:20

Will Reaktor 5.5 be a paid upgrade for Reaktor 5 users?

Loopy C

Post by Loopy C » 02 Sep 2010, 20:32

Slovenec wrote:Will Reaktor 5.5 be a paid upgrade for Reaktor 5 users?
No, it's free and currently available via the Service Center or your personal NI update page ;-)
"Shut up, he explained"

Slovenec

Post by Slovenec » 02 Sep 2010, 20:51

Well I'm very surprised.... shocked even! That's great! :)

DHR
Site Supporter

Post by DHR » 03 Sep 2010, 06:01

I would like to have Reaktor 5... should have bought it when it was 99. Damn! :roll:
Macbook, DAW, VIs, Guitars!

Loopy C

Post by Loopy C » 03 Sep 2010, 07:01

Komplete 7 install went well, so far it's all Christmas morning here!

The new Reaktor is a nice GUI update (along with everything else of course), really brings it up to date to match the other NI apps, especially via Kore. 'Prism' is OUTSTANDING. I couldn't get past it to anything else the first day (around 8 hours of bouncing performances through it!)

'Reflektor' is going to be a real nice addition (I love its ability to let me easily load and switch through large folders of IR's on the fly as opposed to 'loading each individual with the associated nav service dialogs) and has some real nice impulses.

Traktor Effects (Traktor 12) are next on my list to peruse, along with the new Kontakt instruments (especially those pianos).
"Shut up, he explained"

doppelbock

Post by doppelbock » 03 Sep 2010, 13:19

My upgrade arrived a couple days ago but I've yet to have the time to even install it...hopefully Tuesday morning so I can "play" with the new stuff all afternoon.

Falk

Post by Falk » 03 Sep 2010, 15:17

After NI ditched Spectral Delay, B4 and Pro 53, I'm not buying anything from them again. I don't trust them.
I've even stopped using my Reactor and Absynth. Actually.. NI made me start respecting Waves policy. At least all their plugs works.

Kent Sandvik
Twitter: kentsandvik

Post by Kent Sandvik » 03 Sep 2010, 15:22

Falk wrote:After NI ditched Spectral Delay, B4 and Pro 53, I'm not buying anything from them again. I don't trust them.
I've even stopped using my Reactor and Absynth. Actually.. NI made me start respecting Waves policy. At least all their plugs works.
Unless you run them in 64-bit mode... The reason I stay away from Waves plug-ins.