iPad Notation and MIDI export

Music and pro audio on the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch

iPad Notation and MIDI export

Postby schmudde » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 9:16 am

I’m thinking about purchasing an iPad but I’m concerned about the portability of the work I do on the iPad. The audio software available seems to be lagging behind some of the other app flavours.

I need something that I can notate in and export MIDI. That way I can open it up in Logic if I so choose. Nota for iPad looks pretty pedestrian. Symphony Pro for iPad looks to be somewhere between vaporware and almost there.

It would be nice if there was a decent audio editor as well. Ideas?

Finally, if I bought something like StepPolyArp, I can interface my Edirol UM880 Midi device with the iPad, right? Then just save the pattern to Midi and bring it into Logic if I want.

Cheers!
Schmüdde
schmudde

Re: iPad Notation and MIDI export

Postby G » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 9:25 am

For audio editing, I just saw an announcement from Twisted Wave. Looks promising for $9.99 (US).

http://twistedwave.com/mobile
MacBook Pro 15" (2016) . Radeon Pro 460 . UA Apollo Twin DUO . macOS Sierra . Logic . FCP . Get Info
G
Owner/Admin

Postby lostmemories » Tue, 07 Dec 2010 4:59 am

schmudde wrote:Finally, if I bought something like StepPolyArp, I can interface my Edirol UM880 Midi device with the iPad, right? Then just save the pattern to Midi and bring it into Logic if I want.

Hi, you can not directly connect the Edirol to the iPad. There is the USB Camera Kit which work since iOS 4.2 with any USB midi interface, but the interface must be class compliant, I don't think the Edirol is. However, you can use Wifi to send midi to the computer, and play any hardware synth or softsynth thru the sequencer. In iOS 4.2, the core midi implement the midi network protocol which works fine thru wifi. In this case you can directly record the virtual midi out inside your sequencer. I'm working to integrate the core midi in StepPolyArp, it should be ready later this month.
lostmemories

Postby leonmols » Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:57 am

I can confirm that an iPad on iOS 4.2 with the camera connection kit will NOT work with an UM 880 ...
I have yet to try my Yamaha UX256 but I'm afraid that won't work either ...
leonmols

Postby jace » Sat, 03 Oct 2015 6:31 am

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but i was wondering if leonmols tried the UM-880 in "generic driver mode" or in the Roland driver mode? In the generic driver mode, i was able to remove the Roland driver from my Snow Leopard installation and continue using the UM-880, which is, presumably, class compliant in that mode.

i found this thread because i was looking for info on whether or not the UX256 was class compliant or not (still unanswered).
jace

Postby jace » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 6:26 pm

...and if anyone cares to know, the UX256 does not appear to be class compliant. i just plugged it into my iPad Pro and the iPad told me it is unsupported. Unlike the Edirol UM series interfaces, there's no switch on the UX unit to change it to class compliance.
jace

Return to iOS