laugh at my stupidity.....and then maybe help me.

System configuration, maintenance and utilities
boylan

laugh at my stupidity.....and then maybe help me.

Post by boylan » 17 Apr 2004, 08:24

the long and short of it is i installed my my Logic Pro upgrade with my XS key still in, something clearly stated in the install guide that i should not do. The result is that my G4 is now fucked. Tried to reinstall OSX by puttin CD in and holding down down c when i turn the computer on but it doesn't seem to boot from CD, i think it might have fucked the CD cos it doesn't recognise some of the CD's i put in there.

Basically, has anyone else made this mistake (you can pretend it was your mate to save embarrasment) and how did they solve this problam?

noka
Site Supporter

Post by noka » 17 Apr 2004, 09:20

No, haven't made that mistake, but I'm not laughing, it's an honest mistake that could easily be made when caught up in the excitement of getting Logic Pro!

The good news is this; your OS X install CD is read-only, so unless you tie it to your car tire and take it for a ride on the local freeway, or scratch it up in any other way, there's no way to alter/write over/ruin the data on the disk.

Here are some things to consider:

- Make sure everything usb (midi interface, logic key), firewire, etc is UNPLUGGED from your system when you're booting off your CD.

- Try fsck-ing your disk to see if that resolves any disk-related issues

- Try the old "zappng p-ram" thing.... i know they say OS X doesn't need that or work that way, but I still see people doin that

- Try holding down the option key during boot to choose the CD

hmmm... what else... lemme think....

boylan

Post by boylan » 17 Apr 2004, 10:06

thanx man, i'll give those a try.

noka
Site Supporter

Post by noka » 17 Apr 2004, 10:11

good luck!

what happens when you hold down the option key on boot?

boylan

Post by boylan » 17 Apr 2004, 10:25

noka wrote:good luck!

what happens when you hold down the option key on boot?

will have to get back to you on that, on the work computer now.

noka
Site Supporter

Post by noka » 17 Apr 2004, 10:26

isn't my band cool?

:D

qo
Site Supporter

Post by qo » 17 Apr 2004, 10:43

I know this isn't gonna help you boylan, but I have to ask... If having the XSkey removed is so important, why didn't Emapple just detect it as part of the installation, and throw up a dialog box that asks you to remove it before proceeding (or, if necessary, remove and restart)? <rhetorical>I mean, how hard would that be? </rhetorical>.

qo

noka
Site Supporter

Post by noka » 17 Apr 2004, 10:45

very good question, qo...

maybe it's an IQ test!

jk :D

nomasdinero

Post by nomasdinero » 17 Apr 2004, 11:11

Maybe it's got something to do with how they keep Logic from getting cracked. I don't see why it would, but I can't think of any other reason not to have a dialogue box.

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » 17 Apr 2004, 12:01

I've installe logic with my xskey inserted before. It didn not kill my whole computer, just logic, and I fixed it within 20min to boot. Logic is recoverable, BUT before you format anything, back up all Logic prefs, XSkey pane and prefs, Especially xskey stuff. Copy everything you can find.

I'm guessing there is something else wrong with your computer. What does 'fucked' mean exactly? I'm not clear on what's actually wrong with the Mac,other than you can't boot from the cd.

oink
Forum Guru

Post by oink » 17 Apr 2004, 12:04

AFAIK the only damage that can be caused from installing with the XSKey in is to the XSKey itself. I too would surmise something else happened.

boylan

Post by boylan » 17 Apr 2004, 13:30

yeah, i guess 'fucked' is a little vague. ok. in full....

installed logic update which seemed to go fine. then tried to load up the cd of presets for the space designer reverb but the CD wasn't detected. once inside logic strange things were happening like all of the factory presets on my plug ins were gone, i couldn't bounce because after i tried to save the name of the bounce track it gave me an error msg. i rebooted the computer which took a couple of turn off then on again's and then uninstalled Logic. crashed a few times but got rid of it. Tried to reinstall Logic but it wouldn't recognise the CD. Tried to reinstall the Op system which almost worked but when it got to the choose destination disk it couldn't find my hard drive. Tried to burn a cd and that crashed, itunes crashes, fucked. And all this seemingly from this bodged upgrade install. And yes i'd have to agree if it was that important why didn't i get a warning msg. Maybe that wasn't the real cause of this problem.

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » 17 Apr 2004, 13:44

AFAIK, nothting will happen when you install Logic with the XSkey attached if you've got a previous version installed, as the installer sees the XSkey driver and won't install over it. The option will be greyed out infact. This is important for some reason, installing the driver when the key is not attached. Not gospel to be sure, but has been my experience with it. (I know, living on the wild side, or just a klutz: you decide)

I highly doubt that your problems have anything to do w/ the logic upgrade. From what you've said, everything seems to hinge around the CD drive and HardDrive. Are you running a tower? Have you done anything inside? If so, make sure the connections are all good inside. Ribbon cables etc.

As frustrating as it is, hardware can just die. No reason. Just happens. Nobody's fault.

Are there any crash codes or logs for the problems you have?

boylan

Post by boylan » 17 Apr 2004, 14:19

yeah, runnin a G4 tower. Hadn't done anything out of the ordinary previous to the problems and hadn't added any other software for months. would be a mad coincidence if the probs weren't related to the upgrade but as you say, shit happens. Since the problems i may well have made things worse from my headless chicken approach to tryin to fix it. On my work computer right now so i'll check for error msg's when i get home and come back tomorrow Thanx for the advice everyone.

qo
Site Supporter

Post by qo » 17 Apr 2004, 17:26

buddhabelly said
As frustrating as it is, hardware can just die. No reason. Just happens. Nobody's fault.
This was first impressed upon me in no uncertain terms years ago. I was an "office call" consultant as a senior undergrad. I'd take appointments from faculty/admins to fix their PC woes and install software.

I got a call from a notoriously bitchy secretary to install WordPerfect on her PC. She's looking over my shoulder the whole time just trying her best to find fault with my work. The last part of the installation requested that you hit the F10 key. I pressed F10 and the computer blew up at that very instant! A capacitor in it's power supply exploded and smoke started wafting out the back. The timing between key press and explosion was uncanny. For a few seconds even I thought the the latter was a direct result of the former.

This lady flies off the handle "What did you do??!?!?! What kind of people does University Computing Services hire anyway? Is all my work lost? How am I going to finish the 50 bazzilion things I have on my plate now that you've destroyed my PC? Huh? You can bet your manager's going to hear about this, blah, blah..." There was no explaining to her that sometimes things just go poof. She wanted nothing of it.

Later, I deduced that pressing F10 must have caused some final activity with the floppies and hard drive that taxed the power supply just enough to cause the weak/unstable capacitor to pop. :roll:

qo