Converting old audio files created in Logic 4 on Mac OS 9

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments

Converting old audio files created in Logic 4 on Mac OS 9

Postby Dan Appleby » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 3:53 am

Hi,

Firstly, I wasn't sure which forum to post this is so apologies if this isn't the correct one!

I have a bit of a problem...

I am trying to revive some old recordings I made a long time ago (2003 - maybe earlier), as I have just found the back ups I made. They were recorded using a classic iMac running OS 9 and Logic 3 or 4 (i think)

The main issue I am having is that original audio files appear as Unix Executable Files (see attachment), and I can't get any audio software to play them back for love nor money. I seem to remember the original file format being SDII (.sd2 or Sound Designer 2 format). I have just purchased an up to date version of Logic which will read the logic files, but not the audio...

I have scoured the web for solutions but at the moment to no avail - I have tried the 'systemsound' extension recommended on other forums but it doesn't seem to work on OS X 10.8. Essentially, no audio software out there, except for Audacity, can extract the original audio data from the files.

In audacity I am able extract the original audio from the files by importing the 'raw' data... but this is mega time consuming and would literally take me weeks - I have hundreds of files to convert.

I guess what I'm looking for is a bit of software that will batch convert the raw audio data from these files into a readable .wav or .aif audio file, that will run on OS X 10.8.4.

Does anyone out there know a solution or a work around??

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Appleby

Re: Converting old audio files created in Logic 4 on Mac OS

Postby gdoubleyou » Tue, 11 Jun 2013 10:13 am

Have you tried opening the files in a more current version of Logic?

Logic supports SDII format.

Take a look at Audiofinder, they have a forum at this site. It can do all sorts of batch processing.( Iced Audio )

Also if you do a get info on one of the files you can designate what app will open that files type.

8)
G-Dub

2GHz quad i7 MBP
Logic 9.1.8, LPX.0.4, OSX 10.8.5
Apollo Duo
gdoubleyou

Postby roman » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 2:52 pm

i also see no reason why a sounddesigner file without extension shouldnt work in a modern OSX app.

can only be something like the files beeing locked, or mabye the privileges need to be fixed?

steinberg ist heilbar.
roman

Postby deepsignal » Mon, 28 Nov 2016 10:09 am

There is no way for OSX to identify SD2 files made in OS9. Adding a file extension will not help. If the Classic Mac filetype and creator attributes have been lost by storing the files on a Windows or Linux file system then OSX will not properly recognize it. However, I can repair OS9 Logic and Pro Tools sessions and get the SD2 files converted to .wav or .aif and re-link them so that they will work in the current versions of the Logic and Pro Tools.
MacBook Pro 8,2, OS X El Capitan, UAD FW/TB Duo, PT11, Live 9
deepsignal

Postby roman » Thu, 15 Jun 2017 9:31 pm

why would they need to be identified at all in order toopen and play them? :)

programs usually just open files you tell them to. if anything, then the right extension might be needed in OSX or windows, but thats all.

well, and the content has to be right, of course: renaming tutorial.pdf to tutorial.aac will not be enough to play the pdf in your favorite DAW.

you´re right that sounddesigner is a dead format - especially the split stereo. but unlike on the windows platform, both logic and protools can still import them in OSX; PT converts them on the fly to something else though.

i am not so sure if batch converting the whole project elsewhere would be so wise. this will rename the files...
steinberg ist heilbar.
roman

Return to Applications