Audiofile Engineering has released Backline, a handy new utility for Mac OS X. It’s an indispensable set of tools to manage all things audio related on your computer. Whether you need to repair damaged audio files, update your audio effects, reset CoreAudio, or load and playback a DDP file set, Backline is here to simplify your life!
Have you ever discovered an audio file that doesn’t load in your favorite DAW, or sampler? Or, perhaps after digging out your favorite recording from the archives you discover that something has gone wrong with the audio files themselves? An industry first, Audio File First Aid will give you new insight into the structure of your files, giving you the power to diagnose and repair the most common causes of corrupt audio files. Originally packaged with Wave Editor and Sample Manager and now available in Backline Basic.
Manage, update, and audition your Audio Unit and VST effects all within Backline! The days of launching a full-featured DAW to demo an effect are over, as are the days of scrounging around the internet to find an update. Effect updating uses our Audio Effect Database. Read more about the database, especially how developers can get involved.
Experiencing technical difficulties with your applications? No problem. Easily create backups of your Audiofile Engineering application’s settings, restore from a remote location, clear effect caches, reset the CoreAudio, and more. You can also monitor all incoming MIDI messages, generate MIDI clock or time code and specify any MIDI output.
- Audio File First Aid: repair malformed audio files
- FiRe Browser: download FiRe recordings to your computer
- Effect Manager: manages Audio Units and VST plug-ins including SmartGroups
- Effect Update: Effect Manager integrates with our online effect database and tells you when updates to your effects have posted (think MacUpdate + software update for plug-ins)
- Effect Audition: load any Audio Units or VST effect and see how it sounds using our built-in sound files or your own
- MIDI Tools: MIDI Monitor, MIDI Clock, MIDI Timecode Generator
- DDP Player: Load a DDP 2.0 set, browse its metadata, listen to the tracks, and burn to CD
- Reset Audio System: Reset CoreAudio server (coreaudiod), clear the Audio Components Cache, Stop CoreMIDI server
- Audiofile Engineering Tools: back up/restore all of your Audiofile settings such as keyboard shortcuts, reset preferences, reset effect caches, uninstall
Backline requires Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.
Backline Basic will run, without limitation, for 15 days. Audiofile-specific tools are free. The rest of the tools (Audio File First Aid, FiRe Browser, Effect Manager, Effect Update, Effect Audition, MIDI, and Reset Audio System ) require a license key ($29). DDP Player requires its own, separate paid license ($59). Both paid modes can be purchased and used independently.
Discuss Backline in our Audiofile Engineering forum.