Line 6 has announced MIDI Mobilizer, the first MIDI interface available for Apple iPhone and iPod touch. MIDI Mobilizer is a low-profile device which fits into the standard 30-pin docking connector. Together with MIDI Memo Recorder, a free app available for download via the iTunes Store, it will present MIDI musicians with a host of performing, recording and data backup solutions.
“We’re very excited to announce MIDI Mobilizer, the first MIDI interface of its kind,” remarked Marcus Ryle, SVP of New Business Development at Line 6. “It will connect MIDI musicians to the most portable platform ever, and allow them to play, record, and store any MIDI information.”
MIDI Mobilizer is compatible with millions of pieces of classic and modern MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) devices such as synthesizers, digital pianos, effects processors, and even Line 6 guitar amps and POD products. Virtually any gear with standard MIDI 5-pin DIN connectors can now be directly connected to an iPhone or iPod touch.
MIDI Mobilizer specifications
- Compatible with all models of iPhone and iPod touch (iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch, iPod touch 2G)
- Compatible with all MIDI devices that have standard 5-pin DIN MIDI connections
- MIDI In and Out signal-active LEDs
- Connects to the 30-pin connector on the bottom of iPhone or iPod touch
- MIDI In and Out on MIDI Mobilizer via 2.5mm TRS connections
- Includes a pair of 5-foot, 2.5mm-to-5-pin DIN Planet Waves MIDI cables
- Powered by iPhone or iPod touch — no batteries or power supply required
MIDI Memo Recorder app specifications
- Free download via the Apple iTunes Store
- Records all MIDI data received, including notes, controllers, and sysex
- MIDI data time stamped to one millisecond accuracy
- Standard MIDI File format compatible with virtually all DAWs
- Access to Memos via email or WiFi connection
Musicians who rely on computers to store and recall MIDI data during performances will celebrate the ease and reduced setup time afforded by an iPhone or iPod touch, and the simple interface of MIDI Memo Recorder. Plus, no longer will musicians need to travel with the extra weight, bulk and fragility of a computer.
The size and simplicity of MIDI Mobilizer make it ideal for inspiration capture as well as for performance support. Whenever inspiration strikes, MIDI Mobilizer will allow for the capture and review of even the most fleeting of keyboard ideas. Recorded inspirations can then be emailed as an SMF (Standard MIDI File) and opened and edited within virtually any digital audio workstation on your Mac.
MIDI Mobilizer can also be employed as a safety net for performing musicians. During equipment failure, or when using rented gear for a gig, MIDI parameter data stored on an iPhone or iPod touch can be imported into replacement keyboards or other MIDI equipment to quickly restore the exact settings and sounds needed. MIDI Mobilizer is the most portable and affordable solution for transferring MIDI information.
MIDI Mobilizer will ship April, 2010.
Discuss MIDI Mobilizer in our iPhone & iPod Touch forum.