Audio Damage has announced the availability of Discord3, a comprehensive refresh of their popular Discord series of multi-effects. From subtle ADT effects to completely chaotic granular destruction, and everything in between, Discord3 is a capable and broad-reaching multi-effect plug-in.
The pitch-shifter consists of three separate algorithms: a “vintage” mode (the original Discord algorithm, modeled on the Eventide H910 and H949), a “clean” mode for more modern shifting sounds, and a “granular” mode for experimental effects. Each mode has its strengths, depending on the input material, and Discord3 has a broad palette of capabilities as a result. The P1 and P2 algorithms have full control over the buffer (window) size of the shift effect, for fine tuning the shift to the input signal, or for stranger sound effects. At the extremes of the six-octave shift range, some truly strange aliasing and artifacts can be had with this control.
If you’re looking for a nice, clean diatonic pitch shifter for fine surgery and re-pitching the full program, this may not be for you. Discord3 is a tool for sound design, barberpole shifting delays, and special effects. Think Eno, Visconti, Bowie, or Dirty Mind-era Prince and you’ll be on the right track.
- Pitch Shifting — Discord3 contains a pair of shifters with three separate algorithms (Vintage, Clean, and Granular) for different styles of pitch shifting.
- Buffer Size Control — The P1 (Vintage) and P2 (Clean) algorithms have a Buffer Size control, from 32 to 2048 samples, for fine-tuning the pitch shifting effect.
- Delay — Tempo-synced or free-running delays with feedback, cross-feedback, and a sophisticated bandpass filter.
- Modulation — Discord3 has a pair of LFOs that can modulate delay time, pitch shift amount, and filter center frequency.
- True Stereo Operation — Discord3 has a true stereo signal path, with entirely independent control over each side.
- All New GUI — Discord3 has a completely re-designed GUI, with animated displays and a unique “grab-the-digit” value adjustment method.
- MIDI Note Control — Six octaves of pitch-shifting can be controlled with MIDI note input.
- Full MIDI Learn — Discord3 features MIDI learn for every parameter, for full hardware control.
The Mac version of Discord3 requires an Intel processor, OS X 10.5 or newer and an AU or VST 2.0 host. 64-bit versions will be available by mid-June.
Discord3 is available directly from Audio Damage for $59. If you already own Discord 1, 1.5, or 2, an upgrade is available for $10.
Discuss Discord3 in our Effects forum.