MOTU has announced the MicroBook, a USB bus-powered audio interface that delivers studio-grade audio performance in a compact size small enough to fit in your pocket. The MicroBook turns a computer into a personal 4×2 recording studio with all the audio I/O and mixing needed to make professional-quality recordings.
“The MicroBook is small in size but huge when it comes to audio quality,” said Jim Cooper, MOTU Marketing Director. “Our tests show that it matches or exceeds the measured audio specifications of other so-called ‘high-end’ interfaces on the market that cost two and three times as much. So it’s perfect for discriminating users who want quality I/O for on-the-go recording, personal studio tracking, laptop-based DJing, and many other applications.”
The MicroBook gives users a complete personal recording solution for a laptop or desktop computer, with four simultaneous inputs for a microphone, a guitar, and a keyboard or other stereo line level device. The mic preamp delivers neutral coloration and pristine sound, with 20 dB pad and 48V phantom power for condenser mics. Programmable analog, digital, and headphone outputs provide flexible monitoring options.
- 4-input, 2-output bus-powered “plug-and-play” USB audio interface for Mac and Windows.
- 4 x 8 physical input/output channels.
- 10-bus digital mixer to route and mix live inputs with live computer tracks.
- Pre-amp equipped mic input with Precision Digital TrimTM, 48V phantom power, and 20 dB pad.
- Guitar input with Precision Digital Trim.
- Stereo line level analog input (balanced TRS quarter-inch or stereo mini).
- Stereo balanced TRS quarter-inch line level main outs.
- Stereo eighth-inch “mini” line level out.
- S/PDIF digital out (duplicates main out).
- Headphones output on eighth-inch stereo “mini” jack with independent volume control.
- Digitally controlled analog trim for all analog inputs.
- Digital trim for all outputs.
- CueMixTM FX no-latency mixing and monitoring with EQ and dynamics processing.
- 7-band parametric EQ and compression.
- Test tone and white/pink noise generator.
- Advanced audio analysis software tools, including FFT display, spectrogram “waterfall” display, oscilloscope, X-Y plot, and phase torch.
- Industry standard Mac and Windows audio drivers (Core Audio, Wave, and ASIO) for across-the-board compatibility.
- Compatible with all current and recent generation Macs and PCs.
- Includes AudioDesk DAW software for Mac, USB cable, and mic cable adapter.
On the Mac, the MicroBook interface requires a minimum 1 GHz PowerPC G4 or Intel CPU running OS X 10.5.8 or later, and an available USB port. The MicroBook is available now for $269 MSRP.
Discuss the MicroBook in our Hardware forum.