DMG Audio has released Compassion, a fully-featured dynamics plug-in that promises to be ready for any processing on any signal. Not just a compressor, Compassion can handle gating, sidechain, parallel compression, frequency-conscious and frequency-specific compression (dynamic EQ style), overcompression, the ability to SHAPE your attack/release curves, a transient shaper, a hybrid clip-limiter module, and much more.
As developer Dave Gamble discovered, “Each different compression task will have a unit best suited to it. So it seemed natural to develop a model of dynamic processing that included all the different schools of design, and build a unit that would allow you to get the job done, no matter what you needed to achieve. I came up with an idea that fused measurement with circuit design. I measured different compressors, built models of the circuits and then unified all the models into one gigantic structure that could model any of them. Then I made as much of it variable as possible; so you could dial in designs in between models.”
- Unprecedented level of flexibility
- Multiple styles of dynamic processing available, with in-depth control
- Advanced mode for fine-tweaking, Main mode for fast usage
- Mods system for rapid configuration
- Zero latency (with lookaheads and oversampling disabled)
- Low CPU usage
- Fully configurable topology; to sound like any compressor you want
- Compression, Expansion, Upward Expansion and Upward Compression
- Wet/Dry for “New York”/Parallel Compression
- Linear Phase Split EQ mode for “Dynamic EQ” processing
- Fully configurable detectors with M/S processing
- Transient Shaper and Clip Limiter modules
- Oversampling mode for alias-free operation
- Signal path and sidechain EQs
- Large, intuitive waveform/gr display
- Knee and Response graphs
- Advanced mode, with pages for each section
- Sidechain and signalpath EQ graphs
- Configurable VU, supporting K-metering and variable ballistics
- Mods system for fast workflow
- 8 banks of A/B
- Full preset management system
- Clip LED
On the Mac, Compassion requires OS X Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard (10.4, 10.5, 10.6), a G4, G5 or Intel processor, and a host application compatible with AU 32/64-bit, VST, VST3, VST 64, VST3 64, or RTAS plug-ins.
Compassion is available via direct download from DMG Audio for $223.14 / £135 / €152.22. A discount of 10% will be in effect until end of May, 2011. A free trial download is available.
Discuss Compassion on our Effects forum.