Avid has introduced the new Avid S3L, delivering the sound quality, performance, and features of Avid live systems in an all-new modular, networked design. The open and flexible system is comprised of a high-performance HDX-powered mix engine running VENUE software and AAX DSP plug-ins, scalable remote I/O, a compact EUCON-enabled control surface, and Pro Tools software for integrated live sound mixing and recording.
For artists and musicians, S3L delivers the audio clarity and familiar studio processing they need to sound and perform at their best. For engineers, having a high-performance engine at the core empowers them to create richly layered mixes quickly and champion their clients’ signature sounds, without worrying about technical limitations. The streamlined networked design simplifies system set-up and configuration with drag-and-drop functionality, while direct Pro Tools recording and mixing capabilities open opportunities for live album releases.
“Avid S3L delivers all of the renowned qualities that Avid live sound users have come to rely on in an all-new networked architecture,” said Chris Gahagan, senior vice president of Products and Services at Avid. “This innovative system provides our customers with unmatched openness, flexibility, and efficiency to deliver their best sounding mixes anywhere, now and in the future, with uncompromising reliability and performance.”
The compact S3L System is easy to take on tour or install in any club, theater, house of worship, or other performance venue to efficiently and easily respond to a broad range of demands.
Key S3L features include:
- Advanced, ultra-flexible system architecture
- HDX-powered floating-point mix engine for uncompromising performance
- Fault-tolerant Gigabit Ethernet network connects all devices using open Ethernet AVB and EUCON standards
- Total modularity—system can be configured with up to four Stage 16 remote boxes (up to 64 mic inputs)
- Ultra-compact design fits anywhere and transports with ease—perfect for fly gigs and bus tours
- Pro Tools and other DAW control using the S3 control surface as a EUCON controller (feature coming soon)
- Proven VENUE software
- On-board Pro Tools AAX plug-ins from Avid and third-party developers to re-create the sound of the studio in a live setting
- 64 channels of direct recording/playback to Pro Tools (or other DAW) through a laptop Ethernet port
- Direct stereo recording/playback with any standard USB flash drive
- Total VENUE show file compatibility with all Avid live systems
The S3L System will be available in a variety of configurations for different I/O needs, from 16 to 64 inputs. All systems will include:
- Avid S3 control surface
- Avid E3 engine
- One or more Stage 16 remote I/O boxes
- Cables, accessories, and guides
- VENUE software
- Pro Tools software
- AAX DSP Plug-in bundle
- Avid Channel Strip — EQ, dynamics, filter, and gain effects
- Dynamics III — compressor/limiter, expander/gate, and de-esser
- EQ III — high-resolution, double-precision 48-bit EQ
- Mod Delay III — variable delay processing
- Pultec Bundle — analog EQ simulator of three classic designs
- BF-2A — emulation of the LA-2A vintage tube compressor
- BF-3A — smooth leveling amplifier ideal for voice and instruments
- Purple Audio MC77 — digital replica of the acclaimed Purple Audio MC77 Limiting Amplifier
- Reel Tape Saturation — analog tape color, compression, and saturation effects
- ReVibe — high-quality room-modeling reverb
Simply connect your MacBook Pro (with Pro Tools or other DAW installed) to the system’s Ethernet AVB network (using a single Cat5e cable) and you’re ready to rock with up to 64 tracks of audio recording/playback. VENUE Link makes it easy to control your live mixing and recording/playback setups as one. With EUCON functionality coming soon, you’ll be able to use the control surface to mix Pro Tools and other DAW sessions, making the system an extremely versatile solution for both stage and studio.
Avid S3L will be available at Avid resellers worldwide in the third quarter of 2013, starting at $17,995 GRP.