MidiPipe FAQ

Audio, MIDI and other software, not including effects or instruments
johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 26 Feb 2008, 14:06

http://www.opuslocus.com/images/tt+arp.png

You don't need to be doing this before the sequencer input, you can just set it up as a selectable "instrument".

Channel splitter sum --> chord mem --> arp --> whatever instrument
Channel splitter ch4 --> touchtracks

Here the touchtracks (TT) uses 2 sequences playing back on a duplicated audio instrument track.

You don't actually need the voice limiter, just set the TT notes to the same group (ie all group 1), then they'll be mutually-exclusive. You probably want "toggle loop" as the mode if you're using short repeatable sequences.

Note TT does a weird little display thing where if adjacent notes have the same settings, it shows a "|" for the notes below instead of repeating the value. I've no idea why they thought that would be clearer, it isn't, but it's been there since forever.

Assign the channel splitter to an arrange track (right-click the track header). Call it "tt + arp" or something like that.

Select the arrange track when you want to use the arp + TT split combo.

Record. Play it back. The screenshot is playing back a tt+arp combo that I recorded live on that track.

The magic happens after the arrange track, so you're free to tweak the tt+arp settings afterwards. And you can always move the TT sequences to other instrument tracks too.

With TT, you can mute the tracks the sequences are on, they'll still play via TT. So you don't need to set cycles outside that area or anything like that.

Don't forget the sequencer must be playing for TT or the arp to do anything...
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

jean_pierre

Post by jean_pierre » 27 Feb 2008, 14:41

admittedly new and naïve to Logic Pro - while i can route MIDI data to a MIDI track, i cannot seem to figure out how to route MIDI out of a Logic track to go to MidiPipe. is this work that should be done in the environment?

johnpitcairn
Site Supporter

Post by johnpitcairn » 27 Feb 2008, 15:53

jean_pierre wrote:admittedly new and naïve to Logic Pro - while i can route MIDI data to a MIDI track, i cannot seem to figure out how to route MIDI out of a Logic track to go to MidiPipe. is this work that should be done in the environment?
Set the "port" parameter for the track instrument to a MIDIPipe virtual input. The track instrument will need to be a MIDI instrument, not an Audio instrument.
LC Xmu Logic/Mackie Control emulation, LC Xview software LC/MC display,
Logic environments & stuff: http://www.opuslocus.com

jean_pierre

Post by jean_pierre » 27 Feb 2008, 17:39

johnpitcairn wrote:
jean_pierre wrote:[...]i cannot seem to figure out how to route MIDI out of a Logic track to go to MidiPipe.
Set the "port" parameter for the track instrument to a MIDIPipe virtual input. The track instrument will need to be a MIDI instrument, not an Audio instrument.
ahh cheers - i had been trying this with a 'Software Instrument' track while i needed to use 'External MIDI'. i will take further questions to the logic forum.

jean_pierre

Post by jean_pierre » 27 Feb 2008, 18:13

i seem to have gotten myself into a nice feedback loop, the MIDI data going into MidiPipe also going back into my Logic track, quickly overloading the app. i'll need to read the manual a bit cause i don't see where in my GM Device i can define what MIDI inputs the track allows.

27/02/08 18:02:50 MIDIServer[1410] feedback loop from MIDI source 0x1178a0
27/02/08 18:02:50 Logic Pro[1406] Audio engine overloaded, resetting

sammy

Post by sammy » 29 Feb 2008, 06:28

http://www.opuslocus.com/images/tt+arp.png

You don't need to be doing this before the sequencer input, you can just set it up as a selectable "instrument".

Channel splitter sum --> chord mem --> arp --> whatever instrument
Channel splitter ch4 --> touchtracks

Here the touchtracks (TT) uses 2 sequences playing back on a duplicated audio instrument track.

You don't actually need the voice limiter, just set the TT notes to the same group (ie all group 1), then they'll be mutually-exclusive. You probably want "toggle loop" as the mode if you're using short repeatable sequences.

Note TT does a weird little display thing where if adjacent notes have the same settings, it shows a "|" for the notes below instead of repeating the value. I've no idea why they thought that would be clearer, it isn't, but it's been there since forever.

Assign the channel splitter to an arrange track (right-click the track header). Call it "tt + arp" or something like that.

Select the arrange track when you want to use the arp + TT split combo.

Record. Play it back. The screenshot is playing back a tt+arp combo that I recorded live on that track.

The magic happens after the arrange track, so you're free to tweak the tt+arp settings afterwards. And you can always move the TT sequences to other instrument tracks too.

With TT, you can mute the tracks the sequences are on, they'll still play via TT. So you don't need to set cycles outside that area or anything like that.

Don't forget the sequencer must be playing for TT or the arp to do anything...
ahh crap i realised i've omitted a detail which is causing it not to work in spite of your example

(and actually yes the reason i was getting no effect previously with the image i showed you was because i forgot to have logic playing :S...
so it does make an effect that way but it plays extremely bizarrely, sometimes works, always delays in the note, and it often plays the wrong notes, and cant play chords)

so... the detail i forgot to mention is that i am using a multi-timbral instrument with 2 tracks,

so 1 track just has 1 bar regons with pitch bends, while the other track is where i play/sequence notes.

The the touch tracks triggers on channel 4 needs to communicate with the pitch-bend track, an the chan 1 data needs to be sent to the other track

really hoping we can get to the bottem of this thanks again for your time and patience[/quote]

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » 13 May 2008, 04:09

hello midipipers,
i've been attempting to make an omnichord-type controller out of my padKontrol, which has so far worked pretty well using midipipe to convert a midi cc into note on data. only problem is, i can't figure out how to create a subsequent note off for the new notes. i've tried adding another 'message converter' after the 1st one in the pipe to turn note on to off, and also tried a 'duration' in there, to no avail. i'm sure its a very simple thing to do; could anyone tell me how? 8)
cheers!

owaring

Post by owaring » 30 May 2008, 10:55

does anyone have a guide to how midi messages are interpreted by the applescript pipe?
ie
on runme(message)
set midi_val to item 2 of message
what other 'items' are there and what do they relate to?

thanks

Apprxo

Ableton & Midipipe

Post by Apprxo » 01 Aug 2008, 16:47

Setup:
Macbook 2.1 Intel Duocore 4Gb RAm
Ableton Live 6
Korg Microkontrol

I am an idiot when it comes to stuff like this. I have midipipe on the recommendation of a friend. Ideally I want to be able to do things like moldover but I have an iota of the tech know-how, so will just be content playing crap & idm to people at parties.

I want to spilt the knobs for more functionality and set the big silver knob under the korg logo to scroll up and down through the scenes. The rest I think I can work out on my own.

This must be simple, my brain just isn't working at the moment.

Please halp.

Apprxo
/////////////////////////
Apprxo the Laptop Cunt: I might fuck it up.

shabby

electribe and nrpn to CC

Post by shabby » 12 Aug 2008, 04:12

ok, strange things occur:

i have been making a patch to convert nrpn to cc for use in Live.

i have and electribe em-1: chaneel onesynth channel two synth channel 10 6 times drums.

i made a patch (through message converter) and it worked for channel one (whicha contains 8 dials and 3 knobs). i did all the other channels offline (no check with midi monitor)

at the end it worked, but know after doing a couple xtra nrpn-cc's only the 1st channel works!

all the others pass the lsb and variable 0-127, but no conversion to CC..

help!!!

anyone with an electribe patch that works? also other models, code is the same

but the programm is awsome!!! did some prg.chng to not for my footcontroller and now i can send so many notes with such a litte controller!!!

Dwetmaster

Post by Dwetmaster » 03 Sep 2008, 20:16

Hi guys. This MIDIPipe will be VERY USEFUL for me as my CME VX-7 has a pretty weak firmware.

My first problem are the Drum pads which tends to double trigger notes pretty often. I saw there's a DoubleFilter.mipi in the example files but it doesn't appear to be working for my particular situation. I would like to know a bit more about what it does and how I can tailor it for my needs. From what I understand the threshold might not be long enough to deflam my drumpad notes. Any precision on this script is welcomed.

Here's the script from the mipi file:

-- this script filters double note on/off
-- Note: requires at least Mac OS X 10.3 (for properties to stick, see Readme.rtf)

property channel : 1
property hitCount : {0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}
on runme(message)
if (item 1 of message = (143 + channel)) then
if (item 3 of message > 0) then
-- note on
noteon(message)
if (item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount = 1) then
return message
end if
else
-- note off
noteoff(message)
if (item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount = 0) then
return message
end if
end if
else
if (item 1 of message = (127 + channel)) then
-- note off
noteoff(message)
if (item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount = 0) then
return message
end if
else
-- message on different channel
return message
end if
end if
end runme
on noteon(message)
-- increase hit count
set item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount to ((item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount) + 1)
end noteon
on noteoff(message)
-- decrease hit count
set item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount to ((item ((item 2 of message) + 1) of hitCount) - 1)
end noteoff

Zettt
Twitter: zettt

Post by Zettt » 19 Oct 2008, 00:18

Hi,

Is there any way to make more than one pipe?
Some of the Examples have more than one pipes. But i haven't found a button/shortcut or anything to do the same.

Thanks in advance

langean1

midipipe with midibuddy and live 7

Post by langean1 » 04 Dec 2008, 15:38

I've got the rxe mp128 Midibuddy footswitch and I just want it to trigger scenes in Live 7 on my mbp. I've read a ton of forums and know that the midibuddy only sends a "program change" signal but ableton only reads a "note on/off" signal. I know I need a midi translator...ie MidiPipe, controlAID, etc... but i'm afraid i'm a newbie to all the midi jargon and language and i'm not sure how to get any of the software to translate the signal properly. i was wondering if anyone could walk me through the proper commands and/or script step by step in either MidiPipe or controlaid to get my midibuddy pedal to trigger scenes in Live. Thanks!

slirak

CC re-mapping/scaling

Post by slirak » 13 Apr 2009, 10:35

I'm a complete MidiPipe n00b so I really have no idea what I'm doing... :hehe:

Hopefully someone can give me a hint in the right direction.

I'm using Ableton Live with Session Drums (an Ableton Drum Rack sound set) and a Roland TD-12 e-drum kit.

The 'openess' of the open hi-hat in Session Drums is controlled by using CC4 to switch between samples. There are four sample zones defined, 0 - 50, 45 - 74, 68 - 116 and 110 - 127. As you can see, there is some overlapping and the samples are crossfaded in the overlapping ranges.

The Roland hi-hat controller does output CC4 too, but unfortunately, the range is only 0 - about 66.

I suppose I could go about this in at least two ways:
1) Define four or possibly ten (one extra for each overlapping zone 'edge') ranges and re-map them to other ranges like this (pseudo code):
if (CC4value >=0 AND CC4value < 9) then CC4value = 30
if (CC4value > 8 AND CC4value < 12) then CC4value = 47
if (CC4value > 11 AND CC4value < 49) then CC4value = 60
etc.

2) Apply some sort of scaling curve to the CC values.

Now I guess I can use the Apple Script trigger for option 1 but reading through the forum posts it seems that would introduce some latency. When it comes to option 2, I see no immediate way to do it. I've toyed around with the Control Split scale parameter, but it doesn't seem to be useful in my scenario, where I basically need to expand the input range. I guess what I'm looking for may be the equivalent of the Velocity Modifier?

Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

/Jonas

somedolphin

Re: MidiPipe FAQ

Post by somedolphin » 12 May 2009, 02:20

Has anyone found a way to have have a new midi event trigger if you hold down a key for say 2 seconds.
Used applescript to test this and got a timer going but I've found no way to kill the timer if let the key go before the 2 sec. If other words it triggers after 2 seconds every time I hit the key :?
Anyone get anything like this working in Midipipe?
Thanks.