Port my fav Synth (Please!!)

Apple APIs and Mac audio software development
Post Reply
bennyp
Posts: 287
Joined: 28 Aug 2004, 23:17
Contact:

Port my fav Synth (Please!!)

Post by bennyp » 27 Dec 2004, 20:18

I've been trying for months to get my favorite synth ZynAddSubFX to work on osx. I was first introduced to it using gentoo linux on my x86 desktop box, but that old clunker is mostly collecting dust these days ($2000 5 years ago... how much it's worth now, OY!)

The program comes in standalone windows and linux versions, as well as windows VST plugins. here's another URL for the proggy

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1187.html

I'm not skilled in C, but I do know my way around a UNIX. In my trials, I have managed to compile the program properly, but whenever I try to run it, it hangs at the first window, with no errors! I suspect it has to do with fltk's mac implementation, but I can't confirm this. I've been in contact with the developer, too and He's stumped, as he has no access to a mac!

The program is free software released under GNU GPL, so any developer can port it, according to the GPL.
PLEASE help me out!! other synths just aren't the same!!

Thanks for reading!
Ben Powers
The OutofOrder Construction Set

michael
Site Supporter
Posts: 2007
Joined: 28 Sep 2002, 00:59
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by michael » 27 Dec 2004, 23:56

You talk to Adrian about it?

http://www.apulsoft.ch/
DP7, Live 8 Suite

Panopticon
Posts: 97
Joined: 22 Apr 2004, 18:37
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Post by Panopticon » 28 Dec 2004, 02:06

Taken from the link to ZynAddSubFX:

"Please don't use this program to make music that is against God and Jesus Christ. Realize that the only way to the Salvation is Jesus Christ. Please don't lose this chance and don't make others to lose it!"

Haven't seen that disclaimer on a soft-synth before...

bennyp
Posts: 287
Joined: 28 Aug 2004, 23:17
Contact:

Post by bennyp » 28 Dec 2004, 18:42

Adrian doesn't like to work with copylefted software, because he doesn't want to release his codes.

The topic of religion is often brought up quickly in any thread I start about this program. I would like to respectfully ask that discussion of this nature be left outside this particular thread because it is off topic. ZynAddSubFX is Free Software released under the GPL. Anyone is allowed to run the program for any purpose. Although I am in no way encouraging users to obey or disobey the authors request, it is just that, a request. weather you follow it or not is up to you. For more info, see http://gnu.org

If any of the above is read as rude or beligerent, please understand that I have no bad feelings towards anyone here and am trying to express my ideas as understandably as I can. The tone is neutral
Ben Powers
The OutofOrder Construction Set

Crandall1
Site Supporter
Posts: 40
Joined: 24 Feb 2003, 23:37
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Post by Crandall1 » 01 Jan 2005, 18:32

Boy, you could have picked one with less external lib dependancies! I downloaded the source, and on an initial perusal I can't find anything that immediately screams to me that an OSX VST is impossible. All the libs needed are available for OSX, and since that's true, and it obviously works as a Windows VST, there shouldn't be too much keeping it from being an OSX VST.

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow when I have some free time, and at least see how problematic it's going to be. Who knows? It might compile on the first try. (Hey, it's happened before.)
-Chris Randall
-Audio Damage, Inc.

http://www.audiodamage.com
http://www.analogindustries.com

Powerbook 165C - 4 mb RAM - 20 mb HD - MacOS 7.1.1 - M - UpBeat - Cubasis - Opcode MIDI Translator

bennyp
Posts: 287
Joined: 28 Aug 2004, 23:17
Contact:

Post by bennyp » 02 Jan 2005, 13:37

you'll have to edit makefile.inc by hand to configure
Ben Powers
The OutofOrder Construction Set

pgwalsh
Posts: 6
Joined: 04 Oct 2004, 23:23

Post by pgwalsh » 20 Nov 2006, 15:35

What happened to this project? Ben's site seems down. Has anyone seen a port to PPC or Intel based macs?
Cubase SX 2, Pro 52, PPG Wave, Model E, Reason.
PowerBook 15" 1.5Ghz 1.5GB RAM Radeon 9700 128MB 5400RPM Drive.

johnmccaig
Posts: 990
Joined: 18 Jul 2004, 20:31
Location: seattle wa
Contact:

Post by johnmccaig » 20 Nov 2006, 18:26

paul stretch is amazing tooooooo. wow.

someone did a quick port onto OSX with that one... let me find that.. be back later
john mcCaig, inc

i feel pretty imcompetent
luckily i wasnt hired for my competence

Heritage
Site Supporter
Posts: 3362
Joined: 05 Feb 2003, 06:26

Post by Heritage » 20 Nov 2006, 18:56

Panopticon wrote:Taken from the link to ZynAddSubFX:

"Please don't use this program to make music that is against God and Jesus Christ. Realize that the only way to the Salvation is Jesus Christ. Please don't lose this chance and don't make others to lose it!"

Haven't seen that disclaimer on a soft-synth before...
Well I guess I can never use it.

michael
Site Supporter
Posts: 2007
Joined: 28 Sep 2002, 00:59
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Post by michael » 27 Nov 2006, 17:11

Heritage wrote:
Panopticon wrote:Taken from the link to ZynAddSubFX:

"Please don't use this program to make music that is against God and Jesus Christ. Realize that the only way to the Salvation is Jesus Christ. Please don't lose this chance and don't make others to lose it!"

Haven't seen that disclaimer on a soft-synth before...
Well I guess I can never use it.
We had a huge thread about this before. I take it to mean, don;t use it to write anti christian songs. I don't see any reason why the developer would have a problem with pro-other-religion songs.
Anyway, I doubt it's in the same league as NI or Uh-He synths, no offense meant to the developer.
DP7, Live 8 Suite

bennyp
Posts: 287
Joined: 28 Aug 2004, 23:17
Contact:

Post by bennyp » 10 Jun 2007, 19:33

michael wrote:
Heritage wrote:
Panopticon wrote:Taken from the link to ZynAddSubFX:

"Please don't use this program to make music that is against God and Jesus Christ. Realize that the only way to the Salvation is Jesus Christ. Please don't lose this chance and don't make others to lose it!"

Haven't seen that disclaimer on a soft-synth before...
Well I guess I can never use it.
We had a huge thread about this before. I take it to mean, don;t use it to write anti christian songs. I don't see any reason why the developer would have a problem with pro-other-religion songs.
Anyway, I doubt it's in the same league as NI or Uh-He synths, no offense meant to the developer.
It's GPL'd. In other words: no restrictions on how you can use it.
Ben Powers
The OutofOrder Construction Set

Post Reply