Subversion / CVS for Logic (etc.) files?

Apple APIs and Mac audio software development
ikea

Subversion / CVS for Logic (etc.) files?

Post by ikea » 05 Nov 2008, 14:49

Hi,

I'm working on a collaborative film/audio/music project as part of a small group (<5). What would be the best way to approach collaborative work on Logic and Final Cut files? Since the Logic files rarely contain audio data and the film footage can be synced manually, we're talking about a file size of only about 5MB.
What I'm looking for is a system that will archive past versions of project files, have at least some sort of automatic synchronisation capability, and ideally include features like adding comments and revision histories to files.
I've considered trying Subversion or CVS, as these do quite well in coding environments, but since they're designed mainly for editing human-readable text files, I have my doubts about whether that could work.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-i
...wait what?

Kent Sandvik
Twitter: kentsandvik

Post by Kent Sandvik » 05 Nov 2008, 14:51

Yes, you would have issues with the directory structure and binary files and few source code control systems could reliably do binary diffs -- I would not even trust them myself.

If I would be in this position, I would use Basecamp: http://www.basecamphq.com/. You could even get by with a free account to start with. The nice thing with such as system is that it is web-based, has notifications via email and so on if something changes, a discussion section and time handling.

As for Logic projects, I would just zip them (archive), not that the sizes might be an issue depending on what BaseCamp version you are activating.

ikea

Post by ikea » 05 Nov 2008, 15:54

That looks awesome. Thanks for the quick and helpful reply.
The lack of file storage in the free version bugs me though (and I think we're too cheap to pay monthly installments for this sort of thing).

Is there anything similar that I can host on my own server?

Thanks,
-i
...wait what?

Anton Torres

Post by Anton Torres » 05 Nov 2008, 16:23

Is there anything similar that I can host on my own server?
Is it a shared server on which you "rent space," or do you literally have hardware to use. Either way, what are the details of your server?

Best,
Anton
Anton

ikea

Post by ikea » 05 Nov 2008, 16:37

It's a shared server on dreamhost.com.

It runs some Linux distro with Apache. I have FTP and shell access, and can run my own processes if I need to. Also, I have unlimited SQL databases, plus the usual server-side scripting support.
If there's anything that would actually require me to use a server I have root access to, I could always use my own Mac (but that's a worst-case scenario as my upstream isn't very good).
...wait what?

kuniklo
Site Supporter

Post by kuniklo » 05 Nov 2008, 16:46

I'd recommend this:
http://www.getdropbox.com

Or maybe this instead of svn:
http://git.or.cz

Kent Sandvik
Twitter: kentsandvik

Post by Kent Sandvik » 05 Nov 2008, 16:59

git and svn are cool, but you need to be a SW engineer or computer administrator to fully get the benefit from such systems -- there are some few musicians out there who could handle it, but I doubt the number is in the low thousands on this planet.

CazWax

Re: Subversion / CVS for Logic (etc.) files?

Post by CazWax » 02 Oct 2009, 12:32

hmm, what about Final Cut Server?

I have no experience using it; but from what classes I've taken it seems to be the intended solution for your situation.

it would also be interesting to see of the FC XML format helps in any way, outside of FC Server.
> OctoPro, MacBookPro | FCP, Logic & NI | some old outboard gear <

hectorlee

Re: Subversion / CVS for Logic (etc.) files?

Post by hectorlee » 22 Jan 2011, 04:35

I'm not sure if you've found a solution to this yet but there's a new upcoming service that does this. Gobbler is built for collaboration and backups. It does this in the background and works pretty well. Please use the referral link to sign up if you like it. Thanks.

http://www.getgobbler.com/i/yZpii