What do you do when your sinuses are revolting against you?

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

What do you do when your sinuses are revolting against you?

Post by ottoman42a » 21 Apr 2005, 11:11

As I type this, my head feels like one side is completely closed off from the world. My right ear is very clogged my left ear is slightly and my nose feels terrible. I already took something to "break it up" but my sinuses didn't get that message and i need to do some sound effects editing. I guess i'll have to tough it out but what do you do when you have something similar and need to work in the studio?
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

Camillo Jr

Post by Camillo Jr » 21 Apr 2005, 11:21

Now that's an original post. But I can relate, I used to have badass spring alergies. I would have to stop eating sweets, dairy and beer! (sigh) Yeah, if your ears are plugged, it kind of makes it hard to work, for sure.

Try doing 20 pushups, eat a grapefruit and have a shower. If you don't feel better after that, well it's back to the drugs!

Camillo

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » 21 Apr 2005, 11:26

Netti Pot

its a little plastic pot/kettle you can buy at the drug store.
you fill it with warm water and a saline salt solution.

now it sounds fucked up - but let me say first that THIS WORKS..

tilt your head slightly up and to the side.... insert the Pot spicket into 1 nostril.
do not swallow, do not breathe through your nose (you will drown). Just let the water run through your nostril, into and through your sinuses, and out through the other nostril.
use half of the water in the pot through one nostril... remove from nostril. grab a tissue - and blow all that raw mucus out. Repeat with the other nostril.

this is a centuries old trick to cleansing the sinuses.

one company that makes these is "Sinu Cleanse"

best of all, its cheap, non-habit forming, non-drug (its just salt water really) and it really works. My girlfriend gets really bad sinus infections and she turned me onto this, she hasn't had an infection in years since using it.

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 21 Apr 2005, 11:31

Thanks to both. I'll have to check out the salt water idea, i usually do take a shower but I'm at the theater and there isn't really a clean shower available.... Now where did I put my grapefruit?
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

johnmccaig

Post by johnmccaig » 21 Apr 2005, 11:36

i have terrible alergies also, but those nostral pots scare the poop out of me..

i am a giant sissy...
john mcCaig, inc

i feel pretty imcompetent
luckily i wasnt hired for my competence

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » 21 Apr 2005, 11:46

i gotta admit when my g/f pulled it out when i had a head FULL of snot... i was a bit concerned...

the concept of it seems totally insane, but really when you do it, it makes perfect sense. Its all how you angle your head. If you tilt your head back too much - yea you're going to drown yourself. If you tilt it forward too much, none of its going to get to your sinuses. But the Sinu Cleanse kit comes with a nice little diagram about how to do it right.

At the point my head cold was at at the time , i was willing to try anything. So i gave it ago - and promptly (this is gross) loosened and blew about 8 oz. of snot out of my sinuses and i felt like a million bucks. So yea, the fucked-up-ed-ness of the action of pouring water through my sinuses was totally overshadowed by the fact that i felt infinitely better when i was done.

milesrain

Post by milesrain » 21 Apr 2005, 11:47

A lot of sinus drugs cause rebound congestion ... they clear up you sinuses but then a day later the plug them up again and the only way to clear them up is to take the drug again. it's a vicious cycle, stay away if at all possible.

btw ... this is the most rock star thread ever. Is there some sort of mad virtual analog synth studio thing called Sinus that we can steer this conversation towards?

roman

Post by roman » 21 Apr 2005, 12:09

another vote for salt water.
and forget that you have hands. they do not exist.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » 21 Apr 2005, 12:11

milesrain wrote: btw ... this is the most rock star thread ever. Is there some sort of mad virtual analog synth studio thing called Sinus that we can steer this conversation towards?
certainly...
the Sinus Mods!.... http://www.alphakanal.de/snipsnap/space/sinus

parasitk

Post by parasitk » 21 Apr 2005, 12:19

AdamJay wrote:Netti Pot
Beat me to it (uh, by a while - I need to visit here in faster intervals! :P )

But yes I second this - be sure to make sure you read up on it and do it PROPERLY. But man it's really awesome.

fucanay
Site Supporter

Post by fucanay » 21 Apr 2005, 12:32

I've been having terrible sinus problems for months. Like 3 different colds in 3 months. I've felt like crap for about that long.

However, that little pot thing scares the living hell out of me. But I really want this crap taken care of. Is it really as scary as it looks?

fucanay
Logic Apologist, Resident Asshole, kanker Dumb ass callerer, and Former Heritage, Marc Schonbrun and ∞ Hater

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » 21 Apr 2005, 12:36

no, its not.
in action... its not traumatic, or freaky, or scarey.

only when you talk about doing it (before you've ever done it) does it seem wierd.

god you guys are pussies! :P :lol:

fucanay
Site Supporter

Post by fucanay » 21 Apr 2005, 12:41

AdamJay wrote:no, its not.
in action... its not traumatic, or freaky, or scarey.

only when you talk about doing it (before you've ever done it) does it seem wierd.

god you guys are pussies! :P :lol:
Well, when you guys mention words like "drowning", it can get a little scary. Sounded to me that it was like "If you use it right, it works great. But if you use it wrong you'll die. But I highly recommend it!". :P

I may have to see about getting one.

fucanay
Logic Apologist, Resident Asshole, kanker Dumb ass callerer, and Former Heritage, Marc Schonbrun and ∞ Hater

johnmccaig

Post by johnmccaig » 21 Apr 2005, 12:44

lol!

i have the same reaction.

i have irrational fear of drowning too.

and my sinuses are fooooked.

so.. maybe i'll try some pot (netti) tonite
john mcCaig, inc

i feel pretty imcompetent
luckily i wasnt hired for my competence

parasitk

Post by parasitk » 21 Apr 2005, 12:45

No, you won't drown - but you could spread an existing sinus infection if you don't do it right (like to your ears). That would be pretty hard to do though. Read up on it - there are plenty of resources on the web.