What do you do when your sinuses are revolting against you?

Forum for hijacking, general discussion, chatting and off-topic posting
Kent Sandvik
Twitter: kentsandvik

Post by Kent Sandvik » 12 Sep 2005, 11:08

This all reminds of of ancient Indian yogic tricks where they clean up the nostrils by salt water and a piece of cloth that they push in through one nostril and somehow get access to it in the mouth -- sigh I would never dare to do it.

The half-way option is to be brave and push in salt water through the nose.

Maybe the neti is the best option for us Westeners, after all.

--Kent
PS: Supposedly upside down positions in yoga are also good for mucus removal, been asking yoga teachers for good ideas how to fix such things in yoga.

Kestral

Post by Kestral » 12 Sep 2005, 21:18

btw, this is what I'm using for salt. Himilayan Salt Crystals dissolved in water. Then I take a teaspoon of it and put it in the neti pot and fill the rest with pure clean lukewarm water:

http://www.life-enthusiast.com/salt/
Apple MacBook | Brent Averill Neve 1073 | DBX 160XT | Apogee Rosetta 200 | Logic Pro | Roland Juno 106 | Oberheim Matrix 1000 | Ask me about my guitar rig :)

dpcoffin

Post by dpcoffin » 13 Sep 2005, 09:40

Don’t forget the Xlear option: No mixing up salt, no need to do it in the bathroom, clears the head AND gets rid of the germs, works amazingly well...

One good source:
http://tinyurl.com/b46ju

torsion
Site Supporter

Post by torsion » 14 Sep 2005, 01:41

I've been using Xlear for 2 weeks now, thanks to this thread, and I'm starting to notice a difference. I'll definitely be ordering more of the stuff.

Indicator

Post by Indicator » 20 Sep 2005, 08:04

My techniques:

1) Neti Pot
2) Steam sinuses with Eucalyptus (about 7 drops per liter of boiling water)
3) This: http://www.airsource.com

I have both the mobile and the big one for my home. My allergies have never been better. By which I mean that they are nearly non-existant these days.
G5 2x1.8|Athlon64 3000+| FW1884|LP7.1|Reaktor4|Kontakt|Vanguard|GPO|RA|StormDrum|KHSO Emerald|Machinedrum|CME UF6|Trigger Finger|Event 20/20BAS

Symbiotic Audio - music and audio for games

Yann Le Bihan

Post by Yann Le Bihan » 24 Dec 2005, 13:36

Six months ago, thought I would have to live forever with two or three episodes of stopped nose every month and at least one angina every year. I had tried almost every possible medical solution, but things were actually getting worse.

Now, try not to laugh : after reading encouraging testimonials, I decided to stop consuming cow's milk and cow's cheese. I mean stopping radically. Replaced them with sheep's cheese, vegetal milk and many fruits for the calcium. It wasn't easy at the beginning (I've always put milk in my morning coffee, and was fond of cow's cheese :-() but the apparent results are astounding : not a single cold in *six* months, not even stopped noise. I can breathe again, day and night...

Don't know if it would work for anyone, but if you are a consumer of cow's milk and/or its numerous derivates and feel left alone with your nose, you could give it a try.
By definition, nothingness doesn't exist...

tribalogical
Site Supporter

Post by tribalogical » 24 Dec 2005, 14:42

My sinuses have always been revolting.

Disgusting things. I try to ignore them, but they won't go away. We have a standing cooperative arrangement: You don't bother me, and I won't have you surgically removed. But do they honor that? No. They insist on continuously spewing juicy stuff and being amazingly irritable...

Things that revolting sure can be hard to tolerate, or ignore.[SPAM].... what's a good host to do?

peace, love, & understanding,
tribalogical

PS: Yann, that was the best advice I've seen yet..... I cut consumption of cow-based dairy (butter, milk, cheeses) by about 80% earlier this year, and lots of little typical 'symptoms' reduced. Sinuses (generally, but I smoke too, which doesn't help them), body fat -- I'm not overweight, but at 48 do battle with a layer which keeps trying to form... dropping most dairy actually means I don't have to 'fight' it as much now -- and even how refreshed I feel when I wake up in the morning has improved.[SPAM]

Doctor says I have no lactic intolerance or allergy, but the difference is pretty telling!

peace....
:
: Mac Pro 8-core 2.66Ghz (nehalem)/6Gb/OSX.5.8
: ReMOTE 61SL, KORE
: SX3.1.1, Logic Studio, Live 8 Suite, Reason 3.0.5, hordes of plugins... aeron chair, sunshine, ahhhhhh...
:
Official Spectrasonics Team Member!

sierko

Post by sierko » 24 Dec 2005, 23:03

I just got my wisdom teeth out, and that seems to have helped somehow. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that the wisdom teeth apply pressure to the sinuses and getting them removed helps a lot. So far, it really seems to be true. Add that with getting plenty of water, the right vitamins and no dairy. and my sinuses seem to be rather bearable. :D :D :D

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Post by ottoman42a » 07 Feb 2006, 10:23

sierko wrote:I just got my wisdom teeth out, and that seems to have helped somehow. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that the wisdom teeth apply pressure to the sinuses and getting them removed helps a lot. So far, it really seems to be true. Add that with getting plenty of water, the right vitamins and no dairy. and my sinuses seem to be rather bearable. :D :D :D
Thats interesting and I guess makes sense. Right now I'm back with the same problem and the netti pot isn't doing the trick. I have my bottom set out. Maybe I'll look into my top once i get dental again. ;(
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

ottoman42a
Site Supporter
Twitter: ottoman42

Re:

Post by ottoman42a » 02 Mar 2010, 21:30

ottoman42a wrote:
sierko wrote:I just got my wisdom teeth out, and that seems to have helped somehow. I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that the wisdom teeth apply pressure to the sinuses and getting them removed helps a lot. So far, it really seems to be true. Add that with getting plenty of water, the right vitamins and no dairy. and my sinuses seem to be rather bearable. :D :D :D
Thats interesting and I guess makes sense. Right now I'm back with the same problem and the netti pot isn't doing the trick. I have my bottom set out. Maybe I'll look into my top once i get dental again. ;(

Ya know whats crazy????? I got my top set of wisdom teeth out and my infections have gone away almost entirely. Recently I got clogged and wanted to find the online source for netti pots so I went back here and found this. But its not the vile yellow grene mucus that it once was when I had my top set in. Instead its clear, which to me is fantastic. Also when the doc had to pull my teeth out he said my left side was all the way up to my sinuses! Which explains why that side isn't clogged any more! Its amazing how much can be effected by some errant teeth we do not need any more.
Have fun,
=Matt

Ottoble

"What's past is prologue" - Antonio
"...silence is not acoustic. It is a change of mind, a turning around." - John Cage

sixnon

Re: What do you do when your sinuses are revolting against you?

Post by sixnon » 02 Mar 2010, 22:29

Alfred Vogel and many other well regarded naturopaths hold that ill health in the teeth profoundly impact the health of the rest of the body.

I've known many people who have become seriously ill, for example, from contracting fungal or bacteriological infections after root canal surgery.

any green/yellow mucus is a sign of infection, and that you don't want on an ongoing basis in your body..

Loopy C

Post by Loopy C » 02 Mar 2010, 22:31

Didn't re-read entire thread again but just in case it didn't get mentioned, my own experience...an evaporative humidifier did it for me. Staying in a room/studio with one running (around 40~50 humidity) helped a lot because I live in the dry hot desert and the dust out here kills me worse that anything (I have general pollen, dander allergies but it was really bad out here because I was always in an 'agitated' state which humidifier solved). Here is the current model I am using:

http://www.bionaire.com/Product.aspx?pid=236
"Shut up, he explained"
Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
http://www.jesusworedickies.com/merch.html
http://www.loopyc.com
MacBook Pro| 2.8 GHz i7|8G RAM|OS 10.6.6 |Logic Pro 9.1.3
Mac Pro 'Nehalem' 8 Core 2.66 Ghz | 16G RAM | OS 10.5.8 | Logic 9.1.3

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 03 Mar 2010, 00:35

Just drove recently through that California desert Loopy, coming back from NM turned off the interstate at random after Needles and ended up in the Mojave....pretty dry indeed..!!

we have the opposite problem here, a year with much flooding sees us in deed of DEhumidifiers, with astounding amounts of mould and spore-ish allergens..

Camillo Jr

Post by Camillo Jr » 03 Mar 2010, 08:37

I just discovered something called Quercetin. If it's a placebo, it's a damn good one. I think it's made out of the white part of oranges, at least that's what a friend told me when she recommended it. I take two or three caps a day and I'm almost clear into the first few days of my allergy season.

sixnon

Post by sixnon » 03 Mar 2010, 15:44

Quercetin also present in honey produced from Eucalyptus and Tea Tree, would give credence to long held folk medicine belief that honey can act as anti allergen..